Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 81 of 94
04 October 2007 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Like I guessed, I didn't have a lot of free time this week, and thus didn't learn much Spanish, but still managed to go through units 16-19.

Every week, my Spanish class listens to a song and the teacher gives us a sheet of the lyrics with blanks, which we have to fill. Usually, I can fill 25% of the words the first time through, and an additional 25% and 15% the second and third times. It's a nice listening exercise and at the same time introduces to the students a lot of Spanish music. This week, we are listening to "Azul" by Cristian, and I find that I like it a lot!

That's all for now.
1 person has voted this message useful

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 82 of 94
05 October 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Ideally, I can review 1 unit in 15-20 minutes, which makes 3-4 in a 1-hour session. But that's ideally. In reality, one's brain (or maybe just mine) gets screwed up with the intense flow of diverse information from the computer (because I still use loquella). I have to take a break between units to prevent overload, or at least the feeling of having overload.

Today, I reviewed units 20-22. Hopefully tomorrow I'll review units 23-26 and on Sunday, units 27-29 and start 30. On Monday, I don't have school and can finish unit 30. Whatever the case, I will start unit 31 on Tuesday.

I've been planning to see when I can finish the course. In the worse case scenario, I won't finish it until well into February, and in the luckiest case, I will complete the course by early January.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 83 of 94
08 October 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
I reviewed units 23-29 these past few days and was starting 30 when I realized that the unit isn't just a review unit; it had a dialogue and replacement/variation drills. So it might take just a little longer to start unit 31. But definetly not much longer.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 84 of 94
12 October 2007 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I just finished the very short unit 31. Only one grammar rule is introduced, and it is drilled briefly. The replacement drills were surprisingly easy. Perhaps between units 30 and 31 (being a break between two volumes of the course), the diplomats took a break, and this was a refresher unit.

The variation (translation) drills were structured in a strange way on loquella. The problem and its translation appear on the same page, and the audio only reads the Spanish. Thus I have to cover the Spanish on screen, which is quite annoying, especially when using my desktop computer.

Today in Spanish class, we did some pronunciation drills. In all my years of school study, this was the first time ever that a class of mine has done any work on the sounds of Spanish. The class was very boring; all we did was listening and repeating for 30 minutes.

Edited by 236factorial on 12 October 2007 at 9:05pm

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 85 of 94
13 October 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I cannot say that I've finished unit 32, but I have passed through it once. There were several difficulties in the unit that I have to overcome to move on.

The number drills are always my least favorite part in any course. Luckily, in school I have used numbers for years and thus they are not as hard as they could be. Still, I find myself hesitating when reading a number. I am also lucky in that I can do basic math extremely quickly, and it helped when I was going through the "arithemic drills"; I didn't have to think much about the numerical answer to the problem, just how to say the answer in Spanish.

The replacement/variation drills in this unit hit a new high in difficulty. Most of the sentences that were played around with were very long (more words = more places to change), and if it wasn't long, it involved tricky changes in command forms or adjective agreement.

So, in light of all this difficulty compared to the breeze of the previous unit, I inquire: how hard will the next unit be?

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 86 of 94
16 October 2007 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
In the last post I was wondering how hard the next unit would be. Now, finishing unit 33 (the "next unit"), I can say that it was in fact easier than 32.

Ordinal numbers like "noveno" and "décimo" proposed a little problem since previously I've never learned them (except perhaps for a brief 25 seconds in Spanish class, which can't count as learning). The other ordinal numbers were of little trouble; I had already mastered the irregularity of "primero" and "tercero" before a masculine singular noun.

Nominalization of adjectives such as "el carro viejo" -> "el viejo"... I've breathed this for many years, in a variety of courses (programmatic, etc.). This was, in short, a breeze. However, phrases like "lo bueno", "lo malo", etc. were somewhat new (ie. I am aware but have never practiced them in speaking), and took a little while to say fluently.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 87 of 94
21 October 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I finished unit 34 sometime before, but I haven't had a chance to write about it until today. It seems like right now, every unit has some vocabulary incorporated, thematically (by color, etc.) Since vocab is my weakest part, this is good.

It's dinner time, so this is all for now.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 88 of 94
26 October 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Hace mucho tiempo que escribo. Ya terminé la unidad 35, y ahora, casi estoy terminado con la unidad 36.

Now, I spend only 70-90 minutes during from Monday to Thursday studying Spanish with loquella. Luckily, in Spanish class (I have two Spanish classes per day, in one I sleep and in the other I listen attentively and absorb effectively the material, which is actually quite fun), I read a lot of Spanish literature and write responses to questions in Spanish. And then during the weekend, I work through the basic course (usually 140-180 minutes from Friday to Sunday). So basically, I rwork on my reading and writing during the weekdays, and work on my fluency of speaking over the weekend.

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version