Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 15
01 September 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Three years ago I studied some Spanish basics for half a year and began to collect study material since then for later use. And the later use is now.

But why now? The trigger has been the tv-program on the German channel "br alpha". They announced a Spanish language learning series called "Hablamos español" with 39 episodes starting today. And I happen to have the accompanying three textbooks in my collection. The recordings are from the seventies - btw. my teenage decade :-) - and are therefore sometimes very funny in an oldfashioned way.

My goal is to watch all the weekly episodes and work through the exercises in the books in order to brush up my Spanish basics. I don't want to do more, because I'm mainly focussed on Danish.
1 person has voted this message useful

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds

Message 2 of 15
08 September 2007 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
As expected, this TV-language course is very funny! I often laughed and had absolutely no feeling of language learning. It was pure entertainment to me.

The first episode took place at a staged airport. I could completely understand the Spanish dialogs, which were indeed very easy. The grammar points were nouns, articles, plurals and personal pronouns.

Apart from the ejercicios, the homework was to learn the numbers from 1 to 5 by heart.

I am looking forward to the next episode.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds

Message 3 of 15
14 September 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
This TV-language course is a nice weekly routine to remember my once learned Spanish. Although it made me longing for more Spanish, I put it aside in favor for Danish.

The seconde episode had three scenes: at the customs facilities, in a café and the exchange office. There is still no new word to me.

The grammar ejercicios brought the demonstrative pronouns in mind and with it the reason, why there is este/esta with and without an accent.

este pasaporte   but   éste es el pasaporte

So, if este/esta is not followed right after by the noun, it get's an accent éste/ésta.

esto is neutral and is only used for something undefinite. It never has an accent and relates never to a noun. For exampel: ?Qué es esto?

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds

Message 4 of 15
30 September 2007 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Watching the episodes 3 to 5 was also highly enjoyable. The grammar is still on the very beginning with adjectives, ser and estar, demonstrative and possessive pronouns, Numbers til 20 and telling the time.

By the way, the skirts and dresses of the ladies are very short :-)

OrlMoth
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6307 days ago

77 posts - 83 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 15
03 October 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Germany seems to have taken a lot of interest in the Spanish speaking world. Recently, I saw several pictures of a Mexican themed party in Germany, with a Piñata!!! I have a friend who just came back from being a musician in Germany (he speaks no German, only Spanish, he worked at a restaurant playing 4 nights a week). Now this about the TV show! Is there anything going on in Germany that made people take interest in our culture?

It would be great if Mexico started something like that towards another culture/language, too. We Mexicans tend to be too sheltered from the rest of the world.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6264 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds

Message 6 of 15
07 October 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
Yes, there is great interest of the Spanish speaking world in Germany. I can't tell you why. A lot of people like to travel to Spanish speaking countries - me too :-) - some do even live there.
On television there are also courses for English, French, Italien, Russian and German for foreigners. But there are as well lots of offers for Spanish classes. So if one want to learn Spanish, there're plenty of opportunities here in Berlin.

One day I will also visit Mexico - I've heard so many interesting things about your country.

OrlMoth
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6307 days ago

77 posts - 83 votes 
2 sounds

Message 7 of 15
08 October 2007 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
You're welcome to come anytime to Mexico! Most Mexicans are always excited when a foreigner visits. If you visit a small town in the right day, you may be surprised to be randomly invited to family gatherings or Quinceañeras. Hospitality is quite common towards friendly foreigners. Foreigners are welcome, but you better have a native friend to come along with you, for the sake of safety! When they send Mormon missionaries to Mexico, they always make sure to send one native and one foreigner, an outsider traveling alone may be an accident waiting to happen. You may also want to avoid the tourist-cramped areas, they tend to be kinda misleading about what Mexico is all about. Feel free to contact me for more tips about traveling in Mexico.

Check out this site:
http://www.rollybrook.com/

You may find a few interesting things about an outsider's experience on moving to Mexico.

KingM
Triglot
michaelwallaceauthor
Joined 7134 days ago

275 posts - 300 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 15
11 October 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
OrlMoth,

I've been to Mexico many times and have never felt unsafe. I avoid the dodgy areas of D.F., of course, but the smaller towns are perfectly safe.

Mormon missionaries always travel in pairs, no matter what country. It's a rule to keep the missionaries working and out of trouble, not to satisfy safety concerns, per se.

One thing I love about small towns in Mexico is that I can meet people who have literally never had a conversation with a foreigner in their life. They speak no English and few tourists speak more than a little bit of Spanish. Oh, and people in Mexico always make you feel great about your efforts, unlike an English or French speaking country where people think you should already be fluent.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version