Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6517 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, Japanese, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 8
02 October 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 

After finishing two Japanese textbooks and a number of hours using the Rosetta stone program , I have found that my comprehension and understanding of Japanese has significantly improved.

I remember back then, none of my Japanese friends took me seriously with my level of Japanese. Now, I'm able to understand anywhere from 25 - 40% of what is said in normal conversations and in TV shows. At this point, Japanese does not sound anything close to gibberish to me. I'm still lacking in speaking ability but I am able to get my point across in certain situations using simplistic and improper grammar. I remember a year ago, I was afraid to go on the Mixi website (Japanese social networking program). Now, I am able to read most diary entries with the help of a dictionary and I'm jotting down all the new vocabulary that I have picked up.

Even though I'm not conversational as of yet , I believe this is a huge stepping stone for me to get there. I will be going to Japan in five months and I hope that I can get my Japanese on par by that time.

On the side note, I have just purchased two Japanese grammar dictionaries, a book on Japanese colloquisms and two other situational Japanese textbooks. I'm spending an average of 12 hours per week studying Japanese on my own so I hope that I will have a good grasp of Japanese before I head to the country in February.

I find that the Japanese for busy people series is extremly useful and has been the most useful so far. I'm on the last two chapters for book II and I will be moving into book III really soon.    

Textbooks/Materials used:

Nakama I
Japanese for Busy people II, AJALT group

The following is a list of books I will be studying with on the long road to fluency. Most of these books range from the upper beginner to upper intermediate level. If you have used any of these books, I would like to hear about your experience and opinions about them.

Japanese for busy people III , AJALT group
A dictionary of Basic Japanese grammar, Seiichi Makino and Michio Tsutsui
A dictionary of Intermediate Japanese grammar, Seiichi Makino and Michio Tsutsui
Situational Functional Japanese Volume 2: Notes Textbook, Tsubasa language group
Situational Functional Japanese Volume 3: Notes Textbook, Tsubasa language group
Beyond polite Japanese , a dictionary of Japanese slang and colloquialisms, Akihiko Yonekawa
500 Essential Japanese expressions, ALC
An intergrated approach to intermediate Japanese, The Japan times

Edited by Aritaurus on 02 October 2007 at 7:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6711 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 2 of 8
03 October 2007 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Nice going, keep it up!

kinoko
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6579 days ago

103 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 3 of 8
03 October 2007 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
It's all excellent study material! You may want to try Assimil Japanese, and start mixing up course books with native material, such as manga, books, news with transcripts. It's very important to cover all the aspects of the language in a balanced way: listening (news, music, movies) speaking (whenever you find Japanese people to converse with and echoing narrations), writing (expecially emails and discussion forum are an easy way to practice putting your thoughts into Japanese being careful to use proper grammar) and reading (at first, let's say the first 1000 kanji, may be drilled using flashcards or other methods such heisig or similar ones in isolation, but the more you progress the more you may want to study them in context looking up for those you cannot read and their compounds, improving your vocabulary at the same time. In Japanese Kanji and vocabulary study reinfource each other. There are some good Japanese readers as well). Always pick up something you like and are intersted in.

Aritaurus
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6517 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 

Message 4 of 8
01 December 2007 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Just an update-- Now that I'm halfway through Japanese for busy people III , I'm able to get my point across in many situations, just not in correct grammar. I'm heading to Japan in less than two months but I think at this rate , I won't have many problems getting around ordering food, shopping or doing most everyday things.

My comprehension still needs work but at this point, I'm able to construct sentences and people will understand what I'm saying. I haven't had many chances to field test my new skills but I've spoken my Japanese to my working holiday visa friends from Japan and they seem to understand most of what I say. I'm not as hesitant as before in using the language so I think it can only get better at this point.

When I head to Japan in February, I plan to stay there for two months. During the two months, I will continue with my self study and hopefully, the full environment will get me to a more conversational level.

Edited by Aritaurus on 01 December 2007 at 10:23am

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 8
01 December 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Hey, Awesome stuff! You're inspiring :-) To those of us who have been putting in quite a bit of time, but still are right in the middle of beginner land, it's cool to see the person up ahead doing so well. Keep up the great work!

Aritaurus
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6517 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 

Message 6 of 8
04 December 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks ! I'm sure with determination and effort, anyone can get up there. I'm still far from conversational but I hope we can all get there soon !

Edited by Aritaurus on 04 December 2007 at 6:53pm

SpaceCakeGirl
Groupie
United States
Joined 6149 days ago

51 posts - 50 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 8
04 December 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Make the most of your time in Japan! I was there for a month, but I barely spoke any Japanese to anyone and I'm still kicking myself for it. I wish I would have made small talk with everyone I came into contact with, even store clerks! Especially store clerks in the tourist area, where they're so willing to accomodate you in order to make a sale :D

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6206 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Studies: Korean

Message 8 of 8
17 December 2007 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Hey, it's nice to see someone's work paying off. I'm studying Korean myself so I can identify with what it's like to try and break into a difficult language. I think the key is simply to keep trying, sooner or later you'll find your way into the language and start to understand it, sounds like you are there now. Keep up the good work and in time I've no doubt you'll experience even bigger progress.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version