Diglot
Joined 7131 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 1 of 10
28 October 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Hej!
I've decided to stop debating which language to begin studying and just pick one: Swedish. I have Teach Yourself Swedish with all its audio and The Essentials of Swedish Grammar by Åke Viberg. I plan on using the TY as my main textbook, mostly because of all its audio. Swedish pronunciation seems like it will be the trickiest part for me; lots of vowels and a few tricky consonant sounds, so getting as much audio input right from the start will probably be important. The Essentials of Swedish grammar will be used to supplement the grammar descriptions in the TY book. Though unpopular here, I find I both enjoy and need to explicitly study grammar. So this book will provide me with that opportunity. I'm not sure how much study time I'll get, but hopefully it'll be enough to see some real progress in this comparatively easy language.

I never realized how much I've forgotten about studying a language from scratch. My study of Russian for the past two years has not involved a textbook at all, and has mostly consisted of me exposing myself to the language as much as possible. Having a structured textbook seems weird. When I say "go study Swedish", my first instinct is to pull up a Swedish newspaper or e-book, but that of course that won't work. Yet.

I probably need to find a good Swedish-English/English-Swedish dictionary. Any good online ones? Which non-electronic dictionary would you recommend? Anything else you think would be helpful?
1 person has voted this message useful

strossel
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 6426 days ago

47 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, Swedish, French
Studies: Icelandic, Hungarian

Message 2 of 10
28 October 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Dictionaries: avoid Prisma or Hippocrene. Also, there's a yellow and blue paperback dictionary which is just another imprint of one of these publishers.

I quite like the Routledge (red and black hard back cover).

The best Swedish dictionaries in my opinion are the Norstedts, although I haven't used their Swe-Eng-Eng-Swe, only their Swedish dictionaries (perhaps their 2-direction dictionary is more directed to Swedes learning English, as they are a Swedish publishing house?) At the least, once you get further along, I recommend the Swedish Student Dictionary (Svenska Ordbok - Student Utgava) ('Student edition')

Best of luck with your studies!

(Edited to correct typo)

Edited by strossel on 30 October 2007 at 12:30am

CaoMei513
United States
Joined 6788 days ago

110 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 3 of 10
29 October 2007 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
A pretty good online S-E E-S dictionary can be found here:

http://www-lexikon.nada.kth.se/skolverket/swe-eng.shtml

Dont forget to go to www.sr.se for Swedish radio! Even if you dont understand a word, always have it playing!!

Also, good luck with your studies! I tried Swedish many years ago, but only really learned how to read. I hope to go back and improve it after Mandarin.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 10
29 October 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
The name of the publisher is "Norstedts", not "Nordstedts" (in case anybody didn't manage to find it in a book store).

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 7131 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 5 of 10
03 November 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Hah, Swedish is fun. Far easier than that beast of a language called Russian.

I think I may have translated my first song title! It's a song called "Tiden som komma skall" by the Swedish group Månegarm. Does that perchance mean "The time that will come"? If so, that is awesome. Less than a week and I can already understand small bits like that.

EDIT: I just noticed another song title I understand. By the same group, "Nio dagar, nio nätter" is "Nine days, nine nights", no? This is nice and motivating!

Edited by Darobat on 03 November 2007 at 6:42pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 10
04 November 2007 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
You're right, Darobat. :) The normal word order for the first title is "Tiden som skall komma" (same as in English) but sometimes the verbs switch places. In fact, Google has 113 000 hits for "som komma skall" and only 38 500 hits for "som skall komma" (the otherwise 'normal' order!).

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6259 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 7 of 10
29 November 2007 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone here actually tried "Le Suédois sans peine"? I'm aware some courses are generally considered better than others, and I'm not altogether sure whether this is one of the "inferior" newer ones.

I'm referring to this one here

maxb
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 7126 days ago

536 posts - 589 votes 
7 sounds
Studies: Mandarin

Message 8 of 10
30 November 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
A pretty good online dictionary can be found in my post on this thread. This dictionary is pretty good and has audio for all the words. All the audio is computer generated (probably by realtime pasting together of audio clips done by a native speaker), so some words may be pronounced incorrectly.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version