lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 16
05 December 2007 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
20 Days Left!

I've gotten myself back on track with Mnemosyne, so I don't have any on the list of "Doesn't have memorized" and so now, I just have to do the "Scheduled" every day. Which basically reviews a little over a hundred each day. I'm pretty excited, especially because I got to talk to a guy that came in to where I work that only spoke Spanish.

I wasn't able to talk much to him, but I understood him most of the way. At least it was enough to help him get what he needed, and get me excited about all the Spanish-speaking people that live in the town where I do.

There's only one problem. With this particular goal, it makes it hard, because whenever I try to learn something that isn't part of the flash card set, I always think to myself that I'm going to fail my goal, because of loosing my focus. I don't think it's really true, but I only have three weeks. Although I'm getting a third box of flashcards (I bought the third at the same time as my second set, so my parents can give them to me as a Christmas present) for Christmas, my next goal won't be like my last two -- learn x number of flashcards by such and such a time. I'm not sure exactly what it should be, though. I think I just might make a thread about that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 10 of 16
07 December 2007 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Hey Hey Hey! Good news again!

I just tested myself going Spanish-to-English, and I only missed 21 (out of 1000)!!!

On Sunday, five days ago, I was at 117 missed Spanish-to-English.

Previous calculations said that I needed 14 words learned per day to get to my goal, and I´ve averaged about 20 per day since then, so I´m ahead of schedule! Wheee!

Tomorrow, I´ll do the other direction, because I know I´ve had to have learned some English-to-Spanish too, if I´ve gained 96 Spanish-to-English. If it wasn´t bed time, I´d just go ahead and do it now, but alas... :-)

Later!

Oh yeah, I think that my next thing will be to learn a certain number of sentences Spanish-to-Enlish, like the antimoon/alljapaneseallthetime thing. I don´t think anybody reads this, but if you do, do you think it´d be better to learn sentences based on the vocab from the flashcards, to ingrain those words into my memory better, or to have the sentences be based on other words to furthur expand my vocabulary?

fredomirek
Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 6849 days ago

265 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 11 of 16
08 December 2007 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
Congratulation on your success Principiante! :)

Principiante wrote:
I don´t think anybody reads this,

so you're wrong with this one hehe ;)

Principiante wrote:

but if you do, do you think it´d be better to learn sentences based on the vocab from the flashcards, to ingrain those words into my memory better, or to have the sentences be based on other words to furthur expand my vocabulary?

I think you can combine both. You can make up (or take from a dictionary or something) example sentence using these memorised words AND also new words. That way you'll learn how to use all the words that you've memorised and you'll also have some new vocab :) That's what I would do.

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 12 of 16
08 December 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot :-)

Time for work!

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 13 of 16
08 December 2007 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Alright, so I just tested myself English-to-Spanish, and I only missed 36 out of 1000!!! One week ago, I missed 174! That´s AWESOME!!!

So, here´s the stats:

Out of 2000 (1000 cards, either direction), I missed...

Last Sunday (6 days ago): 289
As of Today: 57 (!!!!!!!)

In my plan, I was to be down to 189 by tomorrow, and 89 by the 16th, so I´m a little more than a week ahead of schedule! It´d be hard, but there´s a chance that I might finish this goal by this time next Saturday. (The reason it´d be hard is because I don´t have the day off that I had this week, plus I´ll be out of town for three days. It´s about this time that I wish that I had one of the listen-in-your car Spanish programs, but alas (¡Qué Lástima!) I don´t. I´ve just got flashcards and computer-based things.

Actually, there´s a VERY small chance that I might have audio by then, because I´m bidding on some on eBay right now, but I doubt that I´ll win, and they´d have to have amazingly fast shipping for it to get to me by my trip. But all hope isn´t lost!

Kay, bye!

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 14 of 16
10 December 2007 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Just a quick note before work:

I just had my first Spanish dream! Well, I had had a couple in the past, where other people were supposedly speaking Spanish, but when I woke up and translated what they had said, it turned out that it was just homemade gibberish. THIS TIME, however, it was real stuff! I didn't have enough knowledge to have the person respond back to me, but I made multiple sentences, enough that he could special order an item at my store :-)

Kay, off to work!

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 15 of 16
11 December 2007 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so I´ve sorta left off from the original set of 1000 flashcards for the past couple days, other than whatever Mnemosyne schedules for me (which is less than 50 each day), because I´ve loaded up on a bunch of other phrases and sentences (mainly partial sentences) that I´ve found around the internet. I work retail, and I had found a cool website (123teachme.com) that has a number of retail-related essential phrases, and this website that has a large number of those learn-them-in-first-year-Spanish-class words, like colors and numbers up to a hundred, and telling time things. So I added a bit more than 500 new entries into my SRS, and I´m having a blast with them.

I feel like I´ve crossed some bridge (¡puente!) or something, because even though I can´t make complex sentences still, I´m starting to get a feel for short ones. Like, I've guessed correctly on several occasions, the first time I see a flashcard, and I get them right, having only seen the phrase one time, when I put it into the SRS initially. It's exciting! The only problem is, I'm going to be out of town the end of this week, and I'm going to fall way behind on my SRS stuff.'ll be bringing the flashcards with me, but I don't have any travel version of my SRS, like a PDA kind or anything, so we'll see how that goes.

Well, I've got to get ready for church for tomorrow, so I'll be back later.

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 16 of 16
24 December 2007 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Alright, so I think it's safe to say that I didn't quite meet my goal this time. At last count, I got to around 95% of my goal, which isn't all that horrendous, but it's still sorta depressing. As you saw in my previous post, I combined two things which together made it easy to avoid success. The first being going on a three day trip away -- which by itself wouldn't hav insured anything of the sort -- along with the second, which was adding basically 60% more flashcards to the system in the middle of the process. Together, it made it so when I got back, I was at the overwhelming point of having a bazillion scheduled flashcards to review, which I in turn used to make excuses to put off doing the flashcards.

It's sorta' like when I didn't used to want to clean my room, because I was overwhelmed by the mess, so it would never get done, to the point that when I finally did clean my room, it was always because an outside source (my mom) made me do it, and it would take an entire week to complete, because I had to take everything out of the room and start from scratch. Oh, speaking of which, I've gotta do a bunch of cleaning, because I've got a considerable amount of company coming over the day after Christmas. On the upside, however, I got an mp3 player for Christmas, as well as ebay and amazon gift certificates, which I used to purchase Assimil Spanish with Ease and Learn In Your Car Spanish, respectively. So in the future, cleaning etc. will be opportunities to study, instead of times that I try to avoid, because I feel that the time is wasted.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version