Joined 6506 days ago

50 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 6
24 November 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Gosh,

it had been a long time I spent on this,
Pimsleur, LSLC 1 & 2 and then Platiquemos.
Do I know all the lessons well? Am I fluent?
Unfortunately not, but I think in Spanish and I can express most of the times all I want to say. And now on to Assimil using Spanish! I just did the first unit and it is a bit different, no drills!
I just can't wait to see where my fluency will be in 60 days.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6837 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 6
24 November 2007 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
CONGRATULATIONS !!!

It is always a great feeling when you get to the end of some monumental project like that.

There's a great sense of achievement, but if you are like me it is often coupled, funnily enough, with a sense of sadness and bewilderment and feeling slightly lost and unsure of where to go now.

But it seems you have the way forward clearly marked out there. Keep at it, and the best of success with your efforts !

Bob Greaves
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6622 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 6
25 November 2007 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
ZigZag: well done. I am following a similar route. I finished Pimsleur 1,2,3 and Plus and have finished I & II of Platiquemos. I have now broken off Platiquemos to tackle Michel Thomas Advanced (gone through once and am now repeating), before on to Platiquemos III.
Can you tell me roughly at what rate you progressed through Platiquemos?
Thanks
Bob

Edited by Bob Greaves on 25 November 2007 at 3:39am

zigzag
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6506 days ago

50 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 6
25 November 2007 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
@Hencke: Thanks for you congratulations, I have to say it was more a relief than sadness for me. To be drilled that hard was sometimes a mental torture. But it did pay off.

@Bob (also answering a question he sent to me via PM)

I have used Platiquemos exluslivly using the Audio. I have to commute every day at least 1hour and I am so happy that I have found a clever method of using that lost time. Having done Pimsleur already, I did do the first 16 or so units only once. And I did stop the mp3 some times to get the drills in the right time. Language learning should be fun and if there would be too much pressure I would have given up.
I did do the first half of the conversation stimulus, but I agree that it does not make sense as self learner and so later on I skipped them totally. There is no new grammar or vocubulary in it, so it just builds up your speed to construct sentences.
My mp3 player only has 512Mb, so I have put 5 to 10 units on it and did go through to this units and then repeated them 3-5 times. To clarify, I heard (and repeated to) lesson 16,17,18,19,20,21,22 or so and then again 16,17,18,19,20,21,22 and then again.
And then I came to a point when I was hopelessly overstrained. I couldn't get the basic dialogues. (Too fast, I did not know the english word so I had no chance to get the Spanish, and the were some words I just could not get from the audio.
And I did not want to go on with Plati, I just had enough.
Luckily I found out that if you are getting a membership on Audible you can get LSLC level one and two for just 20(or so) bucks and afterwards I cancelled membership.
So I did at that stage LSLC, it was so much easier, so much more like pimsleur that I got my motivation back. Having completed LSLC, I went back to Platiquemos, I restarted at Level 16 and I also had some times a look at the PDFs to clarify the words I could not get. (words with an h at the beginning which is not pronounced for example). I did not do any reading section. How did I know when I have finished the lessons? It was at that moment when I said to myself, "This is boring, I need more input!" I sometimes skipped drills if I already knew the concept and I skipped some when I knew I did not need them (for example the voz form).
Sometimes it was hard, sometimes it was a torture, there were easy units and some with an unbelievable speed where I said, OK, I am doing the dialog only one time and skip the dialouge for fluency (no fun- no learning).
After all, my method was -get the most of it, don't lose fun, otherwise you will stop using the program.
And without the break (using LSLC) in the middle I hardly doubt that I would have completed Platiquemos.
I do not know the dialogues by heart (some yes, but most of them not). After I will have completed Using Spanish I will return to Plati and review only the Dialogues and the drills where I still have difficulites with.
So, even after finishing I have to go back and review it.

Hope this makes sense to you,

Cheers - zigzag

Kualidu
Triglot
Groupie
Mexico
Joined 6149 days ago

93 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 5 of 6
04 December 2007 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Muchas felicidades/ Herzliche Glückwünsche,

As a native Spanish speaker I don't know any of the methods you've mentioned for Spanish (I've only used Pimsleur's Instant Conversation for Russian) but I can understand the bliss involving you after concluding one learning period. I am currently learning German and boy, do I get happy everytime I finish one Kapitel in the book ?

Platiquemos
Hexaglot
Language Program Publisher
Panama
platiquemos-letstalk
Joined 7105 days ago

126 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Finnish

Message 6 of 6
16 December 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
I have neglected to congratulate Zigzag on completing Platiquemos--wolely with the audio yet!

One of my goals with Platiquemos was to make it useable without the book--and I'm still working on that. To know that it worked for at least one student really lifts my morale. (Having spent literally thousands of hours on Platiquemos, and being a sensitive soul :-), I feel really hurt by criticisms--although I need them to guide me in improving Platiquemos.

Again, congratulations Zigzag, and don't forget to build on the foundation Platiwuemos gave you with authentic materials. Convertion with native speakers is the best, but not easily available to everybody. There is Spanish TV and radio, though.

Best wishes, Don Casteel

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version