AndrewL
United States
Joined 6602 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
24 November 2007 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I'm Andrew and welcome to my journal. I'm presently studying Spanish and hope that this will help me to become more solid in my studies as they tend to be rather chaotic. Yeah. I also plan on maybe learning new languages in the future, although I don't know exactly how that will turn out (my hit list might change with me adding or taking away languages based on my interest in them), but I'll definitely finish learning Spanish, while also trying to balance that with my social life and study of computers (I'm hoping to maybe get an A+ certification... someday, heh.), and work! Now onto the materials I'm using for Spanish:
FSI Basic Spanish (online, courtesy of Loquella, and currently on lesson 13)
Spanish W/O the fuss (mainly for dialogs, which are good for shadowing, and exercises, which are good for thinking in the language. Currently on lesson 10)
Easy Spanish Reader (for building reading comprehension. I got kind of bored so I'm still on like Capitulo 20 something, heh.)
A bunch of blank flashcards that I use for words/ phrases that I don't know but come across. I prefer paper to computer btw.

So, what is my schedule going to be for learning this week? Well...
Saturday (tonight)-Finish FSI unit 13, go over flash cards so far. Probably start unit 14.
Sunday (tomorrow)-FSI 14. Finish SWOTF 10. Listen to dialogs from 6-12 thrice while going over English and Spanish versions of them as well as without dialog. Make flashcards for new words and go over them.
Monday (11/26)-FSI 15 hopefully. First half of SWOTF 11. Do same thing with dialogs but add Unit 13. Do same thing with flashcards.
Tuesday (11/27)-FSI 16, again hopefully. Second half of SWOTF 11. Dialogs add 14. More flashcards.
W(11/28)- Not much time available so do First half of SWOTF 12. Go over flashcards on break at work.
As far as Th-S of this next week. Well. I'll have hardly any time available due to work, unfortunately, so I'll have to figure something out ;).
Well. Hopefully I'll get that stuff done. I have a basic understanding of Spanish Grammar but I'm learning new things every day. I also need to continue work on vocabulary and verb tenses(of which I know only three or so of the simple ones and one compound one. heh.) Hasta maƱana. Buenas Noches.
Sunday (tomorry

Edited by AndrewL on 29 November 2007 at 2:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

AndrewL
United States
Joined 6602 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes

Message 2 of 4
29 November 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, I was able to go up to 15 with FSI on Monday but I haven't completed it quite yet. I wasn't able to do anything with SWOTF lately though (as I don't have a lot of free time, due to work) but in order to do something with Spanish, I'm using a compilation of about 110 children's stories, about 5 a day, using the listening-reading method I found on this site. It is a bit nostalgic since I read these stories when I was a kid and now I'm reading them in Spanish. Currently I'm on story 15 and I seem to be absorbing some good vocabulary as well as idioms (por eso means so for instance). Yeah. I realized that I've been focusing too much on pronunciation lately when I'm using FSI, so I need a bit of a break from that, but I might use it again next Wednesday, which is my next day off from work (I'm kinda ticked because they made me work on Sunday when some friends are going to be watching a movie. Oh well. I guess that's what it's like working in retail.)

AndrewL
United States
Joined 6602 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes

Message 3 of 4
07 January 2008 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
January 7

Well, my methods changed a little bit since I burned out, so I'm going through Pimsleur Level 2 real quick, then soon 3, then I'll go through FSI (or maybe Platiquemos) again, and hopefully get through the whole thing. I went to a Spanish religious meeting tonight and realized how little I actually knew (either that or how little confidence I had) but I was able to talk to someone in the language so that means I'm making progress. Heh. Well, at least I had a better accent than the dad in the family I went with. Well, I'm currently on Pimsleur Level 2 Lesson 7 or something (I've been kinda sporadic with it, usually only completing a half a lesson on the way to or from work or something, hopefully that'll change. I should've started with this program first then went to FSI.) Well, now I know after about an hours worth of immersion that I can now think in the language better. Heh.

raufoss50
United States
Joined 6135 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 4
08 January 2008 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Keep up the good work. I going through Platiquemos myself. It is very intense, so I'm doing only that course and no others. I think with language learning, we power ahead hard and get burned out easily; however, when you go back to an earlier lesson you'll regain motivation. This is primarily because things will seem a great deal easier than when you were going through them. Good luck!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version