Groupie
Denmark
Joined 6195 days ago

78 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
03 December 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Should we as Scandinavians write our neighbor languages in our profiles – for free? I don’t think so, except when we actually study the language or can use it actively. I chose to count Swedish as a language I speak, but not Norwegian. I understand almost anything in written Norwegian and much of the spoken language, but I have never studied it. My Norwegian vocabulary is basically the same as my Danish. I have not tried to pronounce correctly, and not systematically tried to enhance my listening skills.

It’s a different situation with Swedish, and I decided to put up a log about it. I won’t write every time I watch Swedish TV or read an article. Just whatever makes me want to comment or ask questions.

Maybe I should put up a goal: I want to go from basic to advanced fluency. First of all, I need more correctness, and I need to know if I’m correct. However, it will be some months before I have the time to pursue a specific goal.

1 person has voted this message useful

matematikniels
Tetraglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 6195 days ago

78 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 2 of 2
03 December 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Stollare
I wanted to read Stieg Larsson: Luftslottet som sprängdes. The Danish translation is ridiculously expensive, so I bought it as an audio book in Swedish. Unfortunately, the cheapest shops only sell inside of Sweden, but I found it on Bokus. I was happy that there were less than 10 words I did not understand.

One of them is stollare. I thought It might be some kind of slang for a cop? Good cop, bad cop? But googling shows it is used differently.

Would any native speaker give me a clou?

I always said his plots were great, but his language bad. I was wrong. I find this one very well written – perhaps it works better when listened to, or perhaps I just got used to his political digressions.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version