Finland
Joined 6171 days ago

38 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: FrenchB1, English*
Studies: Latin, Spanish, Finnish

Message 1 of 3
13 December 2007 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Current level:
I recently finished my 3rd semester of French instruction. With two of these being in a college classroom, I do not consider them to be of much use. The most recent one, banal as it was, was taught in Nantes, France. I have basic conversational fluency and read articles, newspapers, etc. with 95% comprehension. My oral comprehension is severely behind.

Current methods:
Haphazard in-country immersion until June 2008
Lingq
Assimil: Using French (Advanced Level)
French video games (i.e. Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, etc.)
Dubbed South Park episodes and other French dubbed programming

Routine:
I do a passive Assimil run-through while checking my e-mail etc., and then I stop it and do some Lingq reading for a few hours, or until I can no longer find content which piques my interest. After this, I actively complete an Assimil lesson. Before taking a break, I run through the 25 "priority Lingqs", twice. When I no longer feel like studying, I load up one of the games or watch some episodes.

-----

I am currently studying abroad in France, but immersion experiences do not really lend themselves kindly to an introvert. I plan to buy a nice headset so that I may start speaking to some people actually interested in language learning.

My current strong point is reading due to French/English language transparency. My weakest point is correctly remembering the many strange constructions which French utilizes for certain questions and logic connections.

After 4 days of on/off reading my Lingq word count is at 3286. Since it counts every single new entity as a word this is not saying much, but it should continue to grow.

The short-term goal is 5000.

'til next time!
1 person has voted this message useful

rockzom
Diglot
Finland
Joined 6171 days ago

38 posts - 40 votes

Message 2 of 3
16 December 2007 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
4081 and counting.

Pretty soon I will put some Jules Verne on Lingq and see how I fare.

rockzom
Diglot
Finland
Joined 6171 days ago

38 posts - 40 votes

Message 3 of 3
24 December 2007 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
Just now reached 5021 words on Linq, and I am currently working through the "French Phonology" FSI program.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version