Prosechild
United States
Joined 6680 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 17
25 January 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I'm at the beginning of my French study... even though I've been at it for a few months. My first attempt was to read through Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers along with the English version, and memorize new words via flashcards. I found that even though I could temporarily memorize words that way, I didn't know any grammar and I couldn't remember the words for an extended period of time. So I got Schaum's Outline of French grammar and learned the basic forms, but I still felt like I was getting nowhere.

I started watching French in Action, but felt I was neglecting the reading aspect of learning. So then I picked up Barron's Mastering French. While it has a reading component, I feel like I'm not really reading or learning anything, just working on pronounciation.

I also downloaded some French songs from the internet, found the lyrics and translated them, but the disparity between written and spoken French make it hard to make any progress. At this point I feel so frustrated.

The biggest problem I have, along with all these books and such that are now collecting dust, is that I'm an auditory learner. Reading flashcards really doesn't help me, I'll remember the words for a day or two but after that I can't recall them. And with flashcards, I recall the individual words but it takes me a while to recall the meaning if I read it in a sentence. I thought about memorizing sentences, but that just seemed like the wrong way to go about things.

I feel like I'm approaching self-study all wrong. I haven't really found any resources for auditory learning that will help me learn how to read French, not just pronounce it.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7148 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 17
25 January 2007 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
I think I'm in love. Everything you are going through is perfectly normal. The secret is to stick with something for long enough to find what suits you and you find effective. You can do it.

Edited by luke on 25 January 2007 at 9:26pm

Prosechild
United States
Joined 6680 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 3 of 17
25 January 2007 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I think I'm in love. Everything you are going through is perfectly normal. The secret is to find stick with something for long enough to find what suits you and you find effective. You can do it.

thanks... that really does make me feel better! I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed.

I was browsing around and saw where someone said they're doing a few different things at once: reading, listening, practicing speaking... so I'm thinking I'll just pick those functions from all the stuff I have, and after a month or so evaluate where I am.

Prosechild
United States
Joined 6680 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 4 of 17
28 January 2007 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
For now, I'm going to watch one episode of French In Action and listen to 30 minutes of Barron's Mastering French per day. I'll do whatever exercises fall within that day's listening for the Barron's. I still feel like I'm missing an aspect of my study; with Barron's, I work on speaking, listening comprehension and grammar. With the FIA, its mostly listening and vocabulary, but I find I remember it much easier than anything else I've done.

I think I feel inclined to add vocab through reading Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers, but I think this is out of impatience more than anything else.

kazuo_sf
United States
Joined 6578 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 17
02 February 2007 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Everyone goes through this the first time around. I did it while studying japanese. I tried every program out there and nothing seemed to work for me. My best advice is try to make your learning experience a fun one. Dont over exert yourself. Take small steps and reward yourself, and in no time you will reach your goals.

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6561 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 6 of 17
03 February 2007 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
Prosechild wrote:

I think I feel inclined to add vocab through reading Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers, but I think this is out of impatience more than anything else.

When you do decide to read Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers, I'd suggest just reading for understanding, without trying to memorize words. At first you'll be looking up many words in a dictionary, and many of the same words several times before you remember them, but these are the most frequent words and because you see them again and again, and in context, you'll learn them. By the time you finish the book, you will have read and understood thousands of words, and those words that are most frequent you will have learned best, and many more will be partially learned, which will make them easier to learn when you encounter them again.

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6661 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 7 of 17
05 February 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
I know exactly how you feel (impatient) over thinking you should be learning more and more.

All I can say is, eventually you realise that you aren't meant to be able to fully function in a new language within a couple of months. Take it easy, and enjoy the experience!

Prosechild
United States
Joined 6680 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 8 of 17
28 February 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
because of school and work obligations, I haven't found time to study French. I should do some substantive work next week, since that's Spring break. I'll post my progress after that.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version