Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 9 of 52
28 August 2007 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Supermemo Statistics:

806 items
memorized: 701
pending:105
to repeat:113

So, I have barely been able to study this week. I haven't progressed much through my supermemo stack, and I have barely touched my other audio materials. I definitely haven't progressed at all in colloquial chinese, TY chinese, or the assimil audio files that I have.

What methods have all of you used to motivate yourself do simply do what you know you really want to do? I seem to get distracted easily, and then my small amount of spare time is up and I have things I have to tend to.

I leave out of town tomorrow and shall have a lot of time on my hands, so hopefully I will be able to focus more and make a lot of progress.

1 person has voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6285 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 10 of 52
28 August 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Same thing for me :(

I feel a boost of motivation for a couple of days and then it all goes away and I stop studying until I get that "boost" again.

Jee
Australia
Joined 6252 days ago

105 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: English

Message 11 of 52
29 August 2007 at 8:20am | IP Logged 
I'm a native Mandarian speaker who is learning English. If we can help each other ,that will be sweet
my MSN: cdma.li@hotmail.com
welcome to send Email to me

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 12 of 52
29 August 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
For me it's not necessarily a lack of motivation, but rather some undiagnosed focusing/attention problem. All I ever want to do is study; and now that I'm learning mandarin, all I want to do is study Mandarin. I am now at an airport for a layover, and have lots of spare time. I want to see my supermemo list get a little bigger, and all the pending list to go down to 0.

Jee, when I've gained any fluency in writing and reading chinese, I'd love to correspond. At this point, I have a lot of materials that I'm simply trying to go through, and I find that I barely have enough time to do that. I would honestly never actually converse with you if I tried, at this point in my life.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 13 of 52
07 September 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Supermemo Statistics:

848 Items

Memorized: 809
Pending:39
To repeat: 85

I have noticed that I forget a lot. Most of the words I have to repeat right now are newer words that I barely remembered, but then forgot, but some of the words I thought I knew pretty well, but then could simply not recall. It's interesting to see how one's memory works, and to also see it improve as you train it. Also, I've noticed that there are certain words that I've never encountered before and it only took me one time to memorize. For this small category of words, I have never forgotten them. Every time I am tested, I remember. I think for me it has to do with their importance(functionality) as being words that I have wondered how to say in any language, and for some reason they just stick. I still have yet to link any real reason for why I can remember them, but still can't remember the word for kitchen sink. ( xi wan chi????who cares, I'll review it today and hopefully remember it next time)

I am nearly completed with Colloquial Chinese. I'm on lesson 12. I recently added all the vocab from lessons 11 and 12. These lessons have much less new vocab than the previous lessons had. It's starting to taper off a bit, and there's a lot more review, although still lots of good grammar explanations. I am very pleased with the amount of lanuage this book has introduced me to. I will start up doing the teach yourself chinese book full time once I'm done with colloquial chinese, but still plan to randomly review the audio files from colloquial. I recently got a book of thematic chinese vocab. Several thousand words listed by different categories. I browed through it a bit, and realized that I already know quite a lot of words, maybe 1/3 of what I saw in the first couple chapters. I plan to load all unknown vocab chapter by chapter into supermemo. That should bring me to several thousand once I'm done.

I start school on September 24. I just got my book for my mandarin 101 class: integrated chinese. It seems pretty good, everything I looked through was review, I just don't know a lot of the characters by heart (although I understand a lot more than I thought from memory).

I also start Japanese 101 and sign language class at the same time. I think I shall start a journal for my Japanese studies to keep track of those too! 再见大家。

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 14 of 52
14 September 2007 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Supermemo Statistics:

944 items

Memorized: 907
Pending: 37
To Repeat: 35

I've gone through 98 brand new words in the past week, which is almost right on goal for the 20 new words per day/5 days per week goal. I have felt like I haven't made any progress this week at all, but I really have, at least as far as new words go. I haven't listened to any of my audio very much, although I know this will be essential in my picking up the spoken language.

I think what I'm going to start doing is making a weekly to do list. I will make super reasonable goals along side "optional" items that will massively increase my productivity in learning for that week. Any time I feel unfocused I will refer back to this to do list, which I will carry in my back pocket. I will do this rather than putting the list in my pocket pc phone, because I have conditioned myself to constantly postpone anything that I remind myself of in it. I have briefly tried this and actually got quite a lot done.

I have also started preparing myself for learning sign language. I want to
1.excel in my sign language class and
2.teach my daughter who is now 9 months old(and at the perfect age so I read to start learning signs).

I am using lifeprint.com, in the "baby's first 100 signs" section. I have not really formulated a good way to drill myself with the new asl vocab, the way I do with spoken/written languages(i.e. SRS like mnemosyne or supermemo). Any suggestions??????

Andy_Liu
Triglot
Hong Kong
leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6729 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 15 of 52
19 September 2007 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
"xi wan chi": Do you mean xi3 (to wash) wan3 (bowl) chi3 (pool)? Yes, there is such a word, but I don't think you would need it that early. :)

Have you got courses with large enough amounts of audios? Indeed, I myself am collecting hundreds of audio clips even for Mandarin - though I bet I speak much better Mandarin than English without using it much at all...

After some brief experiments, I found that I wasn't the right person to use flash cards at all. I don't know. Perhaps it is a good idea to memorize Hanzi using flash cards, but I just think learning out of context is not very good. Instead, I would listen a lot and turn to the written form later... I'm not learning French, but my brief glance of it and rich experiences with English convince me that all I have to do with those 2 is to listen a lot and I will know how to read the words... The Chinese pinyin, however, is very well designed for reading itself. Though we Chinese don't write pinyin in normal circumstances, I find it more convenient to remember the pinyin first before putting it in Hanzi (by hand), especially when you aren't natives.

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6593 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 16 of 52
19 September 2007 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
I am using lifeprint.com, in the "baby's first 100 signs" section. I have not really formulated a good way to drill myself with the new asl vocab, the way I do with spoken/written languages(i.e. SRS like mnemosyne or supermemo). Any suggestions??????

When I'm learning ASL, I record the words for the concepts I wanted to learn as audio, then play it back, signing as the concepts were spoken. After a few repetitions, I go through my list and check off the ones I know cold, then re-record the ones I've forgotten (after studying them a bit).

When first starting out, I'd record myself saying the word AND describing what the sign was. Like an audio dictionary.

Am I to understand you're in a class? Good for you. The only way to pick up the syntax/grammar of ASL is with a native/highly trained speaker.

BTW, I'm not fluent, by any means....yet!

Edited by apparition on 19 September 2007 at 7:30am

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version