furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6329 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 33 of 52
16 November 2007 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
Chinese fluency seems so impossible to attain, however. There are so many ways to say
things. I saw a copy of Orwell's 1984 from another room on this forum. it had the english original and the
chinese. I used chinesepera-kun in my browser to look up all the characters I didn't know. Even with looking up
the characters and finding definitions for myself, I was completely unable to follow a single sentence. The words
just seem so randomly placed.

Why do people always want to start at the upper end of the scale? Why not start with Chinese books written in
contemporary spoken Chinese, not translations from rather difficult English? These are infinitely easier to follow.

Lots of contemporary Chinese stuff can be found at xxsy.net. Something really
famous, like 【上海寶貝】may be a good place to start.

George Orwell wrote:
四月间,天气寒冷晴朗,钟敲了十三下。温斯 顿史密斯为了要躲寒风,紧缩着脖子,很快地 溜进

胜利大厦的玻璃门,不过动作不够迅速,没有 能够防止一阵沙土跟着他刮进了门。
门厅里有一股熬白菜和旧地席的气味。门厅的 一头,有一张彩色的招贴画钉在墙上,在室内 悬挂略为嫌大了一些。
It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his
breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though
not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.
The hallway smelt of boiled cabbage and old rag mats. At one end of it a coloured poster, too large for indoor
display, had been tacked to the wall.

The above has some uncommon vocabulary and one may spend some time wondering what 温斯顿史密斯 stands
for but other than that, what is so unusual about the word order?

Still, contrast it with the beginning of 【上海寶貝】 and there is no question which one is easier:

卫慧 wrote:
我叫倪可,朋友们都叫我CoCo(恰好活到90岁的     法国名女人可可·夏奈尔CoCo .Chane l正是我心目 中 排名第
    二的偶像,第一当然是亨利 ·米 勒 喽)。每天 早 晨睁开眼睛,我就想能做点什么惹人注目的了 不起的事,想象自己有朝一日如
       绚烂的烟花噼 里啪啦升 起在城市 上空,几乎成 了我的一种生活理想,一种值得活下去的理由 。

Edited by furyou_gaijin on 16 November 2007 at 4:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jee
Australia
Joined 6252 days ago

105 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: English

Message 34 of 52
16 November 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Actually "温斯顿史密斯" is a directly translation(pronounciation translation)from English,
--------"Wenston Smith", just a person's name

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 35 of 52
16 November 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Furyou_gaijin. Latine loqueris? Do you frequent the colloquia latina at http://chat.yle.fi/yleradio1/latini/index.php?

四月间,天气寒冷晴朗,钟敲了十三下。

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

So, 四月间 means in April? I've only seen the word 间in 时间, meaning time.

So, using popup chinesepera-kun I get the defintion for 间 as:
     between / among / space / (measure word)

So, I think, maybe among should be taken to mean "In" in this case. I consult my paper dictionary and see the meaning between too. Finally, I come to an example in another paper dictionary, the collins minidictionary:

晚间 means "in the evening."

So, I now assume that 四月间 is the same as just saying, 四月. And, that was the first ten minutes of my studying.

By the way, thanks for the link to native chinese stories. I will check that out in a bit. I suppose I need somewhere to search for sample sentences that will not lead me on dead ends of nonsense, and having to consult my paper dictionary makes it all so much slower. I suppose it's the annoyance of being so new into my studies of chinese, and it's such a different language from all of the european languages that I've studied.

Edited by senor_smile on 16 November 2007 at 10:44am

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6329 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 36 of 52
16 November 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
Do you frequent the colloquia latina at http://chat.yle.fi/yleradio1/latini/index.php?

Euh... no. I don't see the point.

senor_smile wrote:
四月间,天气寒冷晴朗,钟敲了十三下。

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

So, 四月间 means in April? I've only seen the word 间in 时间, meaning time.

So, using popup chinesepera-kun I get the defintion for 间 as:
     between / among / space / (measure word)

So, I think, maybe among should be taken to mean "In" in this case. I consult my paper dictionary and see the
meaning between too. Finally, I come to an example in another paper dictionary, the collins minidictionary:

晚间 means "in the evening."

So, I now assume that 四月间 is the same as just saying, 四月. And, that was the first ten minutes of my studying.   

First and foremost, I hate all pop-up dictionaries for Chinese and Japanese.

Two reasons: (1) they make one lazy and (2) they don't know the first thing about parsing sentences into words.

I can also argue that it is very possible to conjecture the meaning of 四月间 from the common sense 四月 and 间
of 时间. But you may want to be more inquisitive than that. That's why you may want to go to dict.cn - the best
tool known to me for looking up words. Why is it the best? For the simple reason - it comes up with examples
based not on the exact word that has been fed to it, but it has some sort of a 'sound like' function that permits
to explore the context.

Feeding 四月间 to it gives us the following:

1. 回历四月
2. 四月
3. 四月齿
4. 四月牙形的
5. 四月十七号
6. 九月至次年四月
7. 气温在九月间下降。
8. 她是四月出生的.

Example number 7 utilises the construction we are looking for and translates into 'The temperature drops in
September.'

In fact, 四月间 in the above translates more like 'one day in April'.

Oh yes, and feeding 钟敲 to dict.cn brings back:

钟敲了十二下。: The clock struck12.

And so on... But start with easier, contemporary stuff and don't get upset if there is a construction you don't get.
Just move on and it will make sense later.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 37 of 52
16 November 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
dict.cn is exactly what I've been looking for. Finally whole sentences to whet my appetite. Thanks!

By the way, wouldn't the whole phrase 在九月间 be taken to mean in september?

他是四月份搬进这所房子的。
He moved into this house in April.

does the 份 of 四月份 act that same as the 间 of 四月间?

Edited by senor_smile on 16 November 2007 at 1:08pm

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6329 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 

Message 38 of 52
16 November 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
By the way, wouldn't the whole phrase 在九月间 be taken to mean in september?

I would say "some time in September" or "from a certain day in September". Think logically what 间 does in this
sentence.

senor_smile wrote:
他是四月份搬进这所房子的。
He moved into this house in April.

does the 份 of 四月份 act that same as the 间 of 四月间?

I do believe that 月份 just means 'month' as a bisyllabic and the sense of 'continuous period of time' is not truly
present in 月份 in the same way it is conveyed through 间. But I am just speculating and splitting the hair now...

Jee
Australia
Joined 6252 days ago

105 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: English

Message 39 of 52
17 November 2007 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Look at the structure of the character
間 (traditional) :sun in the gap of two sectors of door,the sunlight can comes in or you can see the sunlight via the gap
间 (simplized):   sun in the gap of two sectors of door.......
it means:
1 between,among,
2 space
3 measure word
4 crevice,aperture,gap
5 a range of period,persons or space
四月=四月份
But 四月间, you can feel that we are among or inside the April,we are immerged in it
it's a sort of feeling of poem

Edited by Jee on 17 November 2007 at 6:50am

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6984 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 40 of 52
17 November 2007 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
ok 月份 is just a more formal and literary way of saying 月。 One of the meanings of 间 is space as in "in the space of." The Chinese have long ago correlated the space and time continuum (sans Einstein) so 四月间 is a more visual way of creating the "space" of and around April. Its a subtlety and a concept we don't have in English (at least one not as succinct)and gives the writing a little more grace but is not essential for understanding the basic meaning, so stop going through the text and analyzing every character. Get the overall picture and the details we become more clear (and enjoyable) as your level progresses.

温斯顿史密斯 I glanced at that and could translate it immediately.This is something that takes a little practice obviously, but all foreign names and places in chinese tend to rely on the same 100 or so characters to pronounce, some which have no meaning in modern chinese and are used purely phonetically like 斯, which are pretty big hints.

edit: jee beat me to the punch, thats what i get for surfing other pages before hitting the post button.

Edited by solidsnake on 17 November 2007 at 2:14am

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version