Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 49 of 52
19 November 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
As I was too tired last night and up too late to post my weekly stats, I post those from last night this morning. I learned 202 words in the last week, and so far have retained or relearned all of them. I wonder if my brain is going to explode at this rate. Perhaps not.

Current Supermemo Stats:

Japanese
432 items

memorized: 432
pending: 0
to repeat: 0

mandarin
1956 items

memorized: 1738
pending: 218
to repeat: 0+20
1 person has voted this message useful

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 50 of 52
21 November 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I am currently behind on my studies, but hope to catch up with tomorrow being a day of laziness(thanksgiving day 感恩节). I have invited my friend chongyu to dinner tomorrow. I'm going to a friend's house, so I'll be able to "show off" my thus far acquired chinese skills. I'm planning on tomorrow being a sort of immersion day, much more than the typical speak a little chinese during japanese class. My friend is from Mexico, so I also intend to attempt translating all chinese I understand to Spanish, and everything he says in Spanish into chinese.

I have just finally reached lesson 50 of Assimil Chinese, which I think more accurately reflects my skill level. The first 20-30 lessons were a breeze. I'm still shadowing lessons 47-49 a little and will eventually move on to shadowing lessons 50+. I think I'm going to try putting the first 49 lessons on one disc at mp3's, and instead of doing them in order as suggested, shuffling the disc so that I shadow random lessons, which should give my brain a little more to think about.

My original goal at the beginning of this year was to be fluent in the 6 languages of the UN, i.e. English, Spanish, French, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian. I have a couple books on arabic, all of which basically suck. I have a weird teach yourself type of book in french, and the ty arabic script. I also have acquired Pimsleur's egyptian arabic. I did the first lesson, which of course seemed easy enough. It's pimsleur, how hard could any language be at that pace? Anyone have any suggestions on good course material to learn arabic with? I want to initially learn how to write the script, and passively absorb some words and phrases while I'm still going hardcore with mandarin, and semi-active with japanese.

感恩节快乐,

司马尚

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6413 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 51 of 52
22 November 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
I think "Ultimate Arabic" is a good and extensive program, and currently available really cheap because of the American dollar. A 500-page book with 8 CDs for 34 Euros...

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6329 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 52 of 52
26 November 2007 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi: Thanks. I shall locate a copy of it soon.

Thanksgiving was indeed fun. I spoke quite a bit of chinese, but I noticed that it's hard to get my chinese friend to speak with me in Chinese. I suppose it's frustrating that I don't understand a lot of what he says when he does, and he would have to slow down to speak. Ideally, I'd like to have a best friend how worked with me, lived with me, and took all the same classes so that he/she could constantly be talking to me, and telling me what he/she is saying that I don't understand.

So, here are my weekly stats for supermemo to date. I think I'm still on track to be fairly close to 2800 words by the end of the year, although I'm not sure I shouldn't take a break.

Current Supermemo Stats:

Japanese
439 items

memorized: 439
pending: 0
to repeat: 0

mandarin
2153 items

memorized: 1929
pending: 224
to repeat: 0+14

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version