Joined 6333 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: French*, Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 1 of 3
20 September 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Spanish:
========
After around 4 years of weekly course in Spanish, I've decided to step up a gear.
-> I'm halfway trough the "Destinos" series: they're good, but a bit easier than the level I've reached. Still, there's always some new vocabulary, the pronunciation is good and you can learn interesting facts about the Spanish-speaking world.
-> I'm often visiting the BBC Mundo website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/Spanish/news/), reading the latest news, and watching small videos.
-> I've started one year ago a subscription with a French magazine called Vocable. It contains a number of articles in Spanish about art, culture, geography, politics, etc.
-> I'm attending a biweekly language exchange meeting in a Club where we exchange one hour a French with one hour of Spanish.

I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far. I still have though a long way to go.

German
======
One year of a weekly course so far. Progress has been very slow! I'm going to try and give it much more time this year.
-> Intend to start the level2 of the same weekly course very soon.
-> I'm halfway through Pimsleur level 1.
-> Been getting the free About.com newsletter for beginners of German lately. It's good.
-> Need to work a lot on vocabulary and grammar! I gave a quick look onto Flashcards programs. I'll probably start using the online tool http://quizlet.com for the vocabulary part.
-> I'll start with Fokus Deutsch in a couple of months.

Edited by morphy on 20 September 2007 at 11:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

morphy
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
France
modernerasmus.com
Joined 6333 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: French*, Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 2 of 3
08 November 2007 at 4:10am | IP Logged 
Spanish
=======
-> Finished the "Destinos" series some 3 weeks ago. I actually liked Destinos a lot, even if it had a sappy soap opera side to it.
-> Still checking the BBC Mundo from time to time. Here's a link that might interest others: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/Spanish/specials/default.stm
I've liked the small videos they made of the history of space exploration

-> Stumbled on some 30 Marvel comics in Spanish and read them all in a row. Made a small vocabulary list out of them. I actually found that the vocabulary used in comics was easy and at the same time "useful" for everyday life.
I intend thus to read more old Comics in Spanish and German, starting with the old classics, Tintin and Asterix.

I sometimes find myself reaching a certain point, still far from fluency, but at the same not knowing what to do next to keep on improving. Hope that reading will do its job on the long run...

German
======
-> Finished Pimsleur level 1 and started Pimsleur level 2. This program has definitely improved my pronunciation and accent in only a few weeks time!
-> Started the night courses again (beg. October), twice a week until February and only once a week after that. The teacher is good and is giving us lots of homework (so much that I have to finish them often just before entering the class)
-> Been playing around with "German - Tell me more". Seems to be a great and very exhaustive program.

-> Haven't had the time to really test quizlet.com
-> Postponed Fokus Deutsch to a time where I'll have more skills, especially on the vocabulary part.

Edited by morphy on 08 November 2007 at 4:12am

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6215 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 3 of 3
08 November 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Oddly enough, I picked up a secondhand Green Lantern comic in Spanish a couple of months ago. I used it to practise my Spanish, not in a very serious way. It was OK though I needed to look up the occasional word.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version