OrlMoth
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6307 days ago

77 posts - 83 votes 
2 sounds

Message 9 of 11
10 October 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
@ Aritarus - Yes, there's a bunch of Cantonese speakers around here. There's a growing community of immigrants. There's at least one Chinese restaurant per two blocks in my neighborhood, all owned by Cantonese speakers, and all more than 1 year old (they are here to stay :-). Also, nearby there's a small apartment complex that is full of Cantonese speakers, and I think it's owned by them, too. Up till today, I've only seen 1 banner in Cantonese (with no Spanish in it). I was learning Hawaiian, but I decided to switch to Cantonese as soon I found out whether they spoke Cantonese or Mandarin. I still haven't "blown my cover" to them, since they tend to be kinda wary of Mexicans (with a good reason, plenty of Mexicans are jerks to them. We're not too well exposed to other cultures, so we tend to be a bit ignorant on the subject). I think I'll blow my cover as soon as I can explain in Cantonese that I'm learning their language, and somewhat introduce myself. I have some experience in being an immigrant, so I know how they must feel about some guy speaking a few broken words in their language to them! But when someone can somewhat communicate in your native language, there's no problem. (Except I was in a more immigrant friendly nation, the USA).

@ edwin - Thanks for the site! I've come across a few postings there through google, but I didn't realize it was still active (so many dead forum communities nowadays...)
I'll lurk around a bit then join when I see how things work there.
1 person has voted this message useful

OrlMoth
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6307 days ago

77 posts - 83 votes 
2 sounds

Message 10 of 11
18 October 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Oct 18- I feel like I'm outgrowing Pimsleur. I'm about done (lesson 18) and it's getting easier. As a challenge, I've decided to try to finish the remaining lessons before October ends. I can get started on FSI. I've gone through 1 lesson per two days, but since work has ended for the rest of the month, I plan on studying more intensively, doing 2 lessons a day.

My goal is to be able to speak at a basic level by the end of December, and it seems realistic now.

Edited by OrlMoth on 18 October 2007 at 12:56pm

edwin
Triglot
Canada
towerofconfusi&Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6407 days ago

160 posts - 183 votes 
9 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 11 of 11
26 November 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Orland,
    I am making some materials for Cantonese learners. You may want to check it out:

http://www.cantophilia.com/

Edwin.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version