Tags: Norwegian
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6561 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 9 of 11
07 October 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
FrozenNorth wrote:

Cheers, my French isn't close to being good enough for the Assimil course, but hopefully I could run through it when/if it gets to a suitable standard for added material.

The Assimil course is probably best used at the intermediate level. The teaching language would be less important then.

I have heard that Pimsleur comprehensive Norwegian is scheduled for release.

Lykke til :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 11
07 October 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
FrozenNorth wrote:
Hvordan har du det - How's it going? (Lit. How having you it?)

It was an attempt at a joke - in that Norwegian learnt via black metal could result in the speaker talking in the same way as the singer err... sings them. I'm sure there's a better way of putting that.
:DDDD
I certainly don't recommend using *any* music as a sole resource, but as part of multitrack attack it can do very well :)
Another problem here is the vocabulary you get...when I knew less than 1000 words in Finnish, I already knew the Finnish for words like axe, sword, enemy, surrender etc thanks to Teräsbetoni ;) they play power metal though, and this genre is probably better for language learners because of clean vocals and lyrics in very standard language.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6259 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 11 of 11
12 October 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't recommend the Pimsleur course. It barely teaches anything.

Now. For Norwegian music. Norway is a place of absolutely fantastic music, but bare in mind I'm posting a list of black metal bands, but if you have an open mind or are willing, do give it a go.

Emperor
Gorgoroth
Darkthrone
Mayhem
Burzum
Immortal

There are tonnes more, but that gives a very good idea.

Linguamor wrote:
I have heard that Pimsleur comprehensive Norwegian is scheduled for release.

Lykke til :-)

Why not Danish I wonder? Or maybe they are.

Edited by Fränzi on 12 October 2007 at 8:00pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version