Jamfrogs
Australia
Joined 6223 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
09 October 2007 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Well, I started learning French a couple months back. I did spend some time on it in high school but absolutely loathed my teacher so that kinda put me off languages for a while. I'm a native English speaker and it is the only language I can actually speak, so this will be my first foray into (proper) language learning.

I was starting to grow disheartened because I didn't feel I was progressing at all, but I had a quick look in a bookstore last week and to my amazement I could actually read some of the titles!

My current goal is to (hopefully) be able to read an Asterix comic in French by the end of the year, because I used to love them as a child.

Well, that is all, and this is my first post, so hiya!
1 person has voted this message useful

Marj
United States
Joined 6509 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 2 of 5
09 October 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forums. I can relate to your French in High School experience--that's why when I took my required foreign language course in college it was Spanish.
What materials are you using to refresh (relearn) your French?
Good luck with your studies.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6808 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 3 of 5
09 October 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Jamfrogs wrote:
Well, I started learning French a couple months back. I did spend some time on it in high school but absolutely loathed my teacher so that kinda put me off languages for a while. I'm a native English speaker and it is the only language I can actually speak, so this will be my first foray into (proper) language learning.

I was starting to grow disheartened because I didn't feel I was progressing at all, but I had a quick look in a bookstore last week and to my amazement I could actually read some of the titles!

My current goal is to (hopefully) be able to read an Asterix comic in French by the end of the year, because I used to love them as a child.

Well, that is all, and this is my first post, so hiya!

I shall wish you good luck! I also like the way you've set yourself a very clear, concrete goal (being able to read the comic). If you want any French tips let me know.

Sim
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
thehelper.net/forums
Joined 6233 days ago

45 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 5
15 October 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
> My current goal is to (hopefully) be able to read an Asterix comic in French by the end of the year, because I used to love them as a child.

What a nice goal :D

> I was starting to grow disheartened because I didn't feel I was progressing at all

You are progressing, even though you don't notice it. The only moment when you can affirm you are not is when you just stop learning or practicing. If you did not stop, you are progressing :P

Good luck Jamfrogs!

Don't even think about it being our first non-native language. One must come through this first ;)

Jamfrogs
Australia
Joined 6223 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: French

Message 5 of 5
17 October 2007 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
In response to the tools I'm using, I've gotten hold of the Pimsleur set of French, which I'm using quite a bit. I've also bought a copy of the Teach Yourself French audio CD and book, as well as a bilingual dictionary and the 'Collins Easy Learning French Grammar' book.

I've found the grammar book pretty useful as it has an alphabetical verb table appendix with about 100 verbs which is cool. Still slogging through the first Pimsleur set.

I'm also using a freeware program called Selingua which is like a vocabulary building type program. It seems fairly decent so far except some of the translated words are a bit... 'vague' I guess, and some of them are homonyms, which can be confusing (one that springs to mind was right (en) and juste (fr) and there was me typing droit...).

I've checked out FSI but my printer is on the blink so I haven't had the chance to print out the book (and I can't stand to read ebooks).

Oh my this post is starting to get long... I chose Asterix also specifically because there are two kind of 'levels' to the comic, which I thought would be good as a kind of benchmark. I thought being able to read it and understand it would be my first benchmark at a perhaps high beginner / low intermediate level, but also by the time I could understand all the other references, such as names and such (eg. in the English comic 'Getafix') I would be at a kind of higher intermediate level... I dunno if I explained that clearly or not... Just to be able to understand all the 'adult' content without going to the dictionary.

I also picked up a book from the second hand bookstore, an etymological dictionary, which is useful as a curiosity, because it has the english meaning, the foreign root and foreign meaning. Some of these words has it from Modern English <- Middle English <- Old French <- Latin <- Greek

I'll be quiet now and get back to studying.

Thanks for the kind words too everyone!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version