United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 18
17 October 2007 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
Día Ocho de Veintiséis (Diecisiete de Octubre, Dos Mil Siete)

Quick before work note: About 15 minutes flashcards.

Alright, so in total, I´ve spent about an hour on flashcards today. I figured out which ones were giving me trouble and took those cards to church. I went early, so I could just sit by myself going over those fifteen or so that were giving me the most trouble. After the whole service was over (I only reviewed before church), I went home and back to my flashcard program and got them all right !!! *beams*

Also, I accidentally did like 30 or 40 minutes of the Rosetta Stone Latin American Demo (accidentally, as in I was just going to see how far I could go, and I went through all of the level 1 Lessons that were available without much difficulty)

Edited by Principiante on 17 October 2007 at 10:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 10 of 18
19 October 2007 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Día Nueve de Veintiséis (Dieciocho de Octubre, Dos Mil Siete)

Well, I started out before work with twenty minutes of so of flashcards on the computer, but after work, I frittered away a pretty significant portion of my time, because I discovered a really fun web comic, and read it for like two hours. Anyway, I finished up with about a half hour worth of lessons from ¨Before You Know It¨ Spanish. Even though it´s learning different words than my flashcards, I still don´t mind, because it´s Spanish, and learning Spanish is good, no matter if it´s the flashcard words or not :-)

Now, it´s time for bed.

AlexL
Diglot
United States
Joined 7027 days ago

197 posts - 277 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 18
20 October 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
Just a note: months and weekday names are not capitalized in Spanish:

el once de octubre (October 11th)
el lunes (monday)

The Spanish don't capitalize language names either (el ingles).

Good luck with the flashcards,
Alex

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 12 of 18
20 October 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Día once de veintiséis (sábado, veinte de octubre, dos mil siete)

I´ve been slacking off on my box of 500 flashcards over the last couple days, but I´ve been keeping up with my Spanish. I just got Spanish Before you Know It, and I´ve been having fun with that. For anyone who may be considering using it, I only have one complaint -- I have my computer set up to use the Spanish keyboard layout, with the Ñ and the á,é,í,ó,ú, etc. typable with one or two keystrokes, but it doesn´t work on the program. Instead, after typing the letter n, you press up to turn it into an ñ, and after typing a vowel, you press up to make it an á, é, í, ó, or ú (continue pressing up to make different kinds of marks above the letters). But the simple fact that I have to write the words, I think, is making me learn the things better. I could say them before, but having to write out the answers is seeming to make it stick better.

Anyhow, I got about a half hour this evening, and another half hour that I didn´t report last night with BYKI Spanish, and when I glance over my flashcards, they seem to be staying with me, even though I´ve been doing BYKI instead of the flashcards. Tomorrow, I´ll re-test myself both directions on the flashcards and see how I´m doing, but for now, it´s about bed time, and I´m not quite ready for bed.

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 13 of 18
21 October 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Día doce de veintiséis (domingo, veintiuno de octubre, dos mil siete)

So, today, I took a half hour and tested myself on my flashcard knowledge (after having hardly glanced at them for about three days -- doing other Spanish, only) and I did surprizingly well. I started with English-to-Spanish, and then Spanish-to-English, and in total, I missed a hundred, so that´s like 90% right, with two weeks to go! Though, I forgot that I wasn´t supposed to count them right if I missed the gender, so I probably have another thirty or fourty that I should have gotten wrong because I forgot to say ¨el¨ or ¨la¨.

Even with adding those ¨should have been wrong¨ ones, I´m still about a week ahead, so I´ll have some extra time to really get them down before the due date. I might do more later, but I´ve got some things that I need to do for work, so I might do that or I might do the cards, depending on how I feel after church.

---------------

Edit: So, I have this pile of Spanish children´s books that I have stacked in what-I-think-is approximately ascending order of difficulty, and I just picked up the top one (the easiest one that I hadn´t read yet) and I knew about 80% of the words, so tonight or tomorrow, I´ll put every sentence from that book into Mnemosyne (computer flash-card program), like I did with ¨La Gallinita Roja¨ (the Little Red Hen) about a month ago. *cheers*

Edited by Principiante on 28 October 2007 at 4:16pm

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 14 of 18
28 October 2007 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Día diecinueve de veintiséis (domingo, veintiocho de octubre, dos mil siete)

So I haven´t posted to this thing in a week, mainly because I´ve been logged down with work stuff for many of those days. During that time, I have been fairly lax about my studies -- listening to some Spanish music and watching a couple movies in Spanish -- and only doing flashcards maybe 15 minutes or less each day. Mea Culpa. Anyway, last night, I started going through, testing myself to see if I had lost much during those missed days, and I´m happy to say that I haven´t lost much at all. I just tested myself on my 1000 (500 cards, both directions) and I knew all but about 70. My original schedule put me at being down to 90 by this coming Wednesday, so I´m still on track to get them all right on my birthday, November 5th. (completing this thread victoriously, and setting me up for my next challenge -- I´m pondering trying for having the next 500 cards done by New Years Eve... does that sound like a feasable challenge?)

So, yeah... Happy Me!

I think I´ll probably order the next 500 vocab cards tomorrow-ish. Oh, and speaking of tomorrow, I´m heading out on a trip to visit some people and take care of some business that needs to be done for me to go back and finish my last few classes at school, so I´m going to try to see what I can do in terms of studying during that. It´ll probably just be along the lines of bringing my flashcards and studying throughout the day when I´m stopped. I wish I had some audio... HEY! I just realized that the library across town has some Spanish audio books. I´m going to listen to one of them and see how much I can pick up. *gets excited*

Alright, I´m off to church!

-Lucas

EDIT: I just bought the flashcards, so they should be at my house within a few days *cheers*

Edited by Principiante on 28 October 2007 at 7:01pm

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 15 of 18
03 November 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Día veinticuatro de veintiséis (sábado, tres de noviembre de dos mil siete)

Woah, it´s been a while since I´ve posted on here, but I have been doing a bunch of Spanish work, even though I´ve been neglecting writing about it. However, my progress isn´t as good as I was hoping it would be. Somewhere along the line, I missed like three days in a row, and from there, all my learning seems to have slowed down, though I haven´t stopped at all. I just tested myself with my stack of flashcards, and I missed like 40 of them, and the due date is two days from now, so we´ll see what I can do.

I´ve got the new flashcards, but they are to be a prize for getting all of them right the first time through, so if I miss even one, I´ll have to wait another day to open the cards, until I get them all right the first time through, and then I´ll finally be able to open my second box. I have today off (at least for the next six hours or so), so I´m planning on using that time focusing on my forty words.

Also, just as a side note, to the people who say to study using sentences instead of individual words -- it might be harder, especially at first, but I´ve got a number of my flashcards that I only know the words because I remember sentences with them in it (this is mainly the ´question´ words, like who what when where why and how).

EDIT: Two and a half or three hours of flashcard work (oh wait, I had dinner somewhere in there, so about two to two and a quarter hours of studying later), I tested myself again and only missed eighteen (!!!), so it might still happen :-)

Edited by Principiante on 03 November 2007 at 6:48pm

Principiante
United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6201 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 

Message 16 of 18
04 November 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Día veinticinco de veintiséis (cuatro de noviembre de dos mil siete)

Well, one day left on my goal and I´m not quite there. I just went through my flashcards a couple more times (it takes quite a while to go through 500 cards!), and I still missed ten as my best score so far. I already bought the next set of flashcards, and I can´t wait to open them, but alas, I might not get the whole box correct in one time through by tomorrow. I´m super tired right now as it is, so I´ll be hitting the sack soon. Probably won´t go through the cards again, because I´ll pass out in the middle of them.

Alright... let´s see what the morrow holds.

P.S. One a positive note, I spelled the numbers at the top of this post correctly the first time through, whereas I generally transpose an i and an e somewhere along the line, or put the accent on the wrong place somewhere.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version