Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6275 days ago

31 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Persian*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 1
14 October 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
For the past month or so, I have merely been toying with French. A Pimsleur lesson here, an FSI unit there, a dialog from the the 9th grade French textbook which I never returned, etc. Lack of structure in my study plan has discouraged me, so I'm going to be embarking on a semi-intensive self-study journey for French. My ultimate goal is advanced fluency within a year.

The current materials I have at my disposal are as follows:

FSI Basic French (Revised) Volumes 1&2
Pimsleur French Levels 1,2, and 3.
Assimil - New French with Ease
Linguaphone All-Talk French
Countdown to French; Learn to Communicate in 24 Hours by Gail Stein

If there are any other worthwhile courses out there, please let me know. I do remember a website hosting the French in Action series but do not recall them having the textbooks and such as well. If there's any update on this, please speak up.

My plan of attack for now is as follows:

-A Pimsleur lesson until at least 80% recall every day.
-An Assimil lesson every day. Shadowing will be done to memorize the dialog.
-1-2 FSI units a week. 2 seems a bit daring, I know, but I feel I'm enough of a disciplined person to manage that. We'll see how it goes.
-Read through Countdown to French.

I feel that this Linguaphone course is not of much use to me at my current level, but I may incorporate it into my program later on. After I finish FSI, Assimil, and Pimsleur, I'll probably be at basic fluency and will see how much of spoken French television and such I can understand. I'll be updating this every few days at the very least to rally myself up and keep the motivation.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version