United States
Joined 6283 days ago

50 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 4
25 October 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

My name is Jared, and I'm in my third semester of Modern Standard Arabic at my university. Of course, my first two semesters hardly count, as my professor had never taught a language. We learned some very basic grammar, the alphabet, sounds and basic pronunciation, and verb conjugation.

Now, my third semester with a new professor, my studies are becoming serious. I'm probably at least a full semester behind in my knowledge of Arabic, so some self-study is mandatory. My goal, naturally, is to be at a 2,2+ on the FSI scale by the end of next semester. On that note, here's what I'm using:

Materials:
Al-kitaab (fii Ta'allum Al-'Arabiyya)Part 1 (currently around chapter 4/5)
Easy Arabic Grammar (for reference)
Formal Spoken Arabic Fast Course (just purchased, awaiting arrival)
Rosetta Stone Arabic (purchased, haven't used)
Hans Wehr Dictionary

Using Al-kitaab has been okay so far. It's used as my in-class text, so I look at it to memorize conjugation charts, vocab, and do one or two practice problems per week. However, I just purchased the answer key, so I hope to do every assignment per chapter.

In addition to this, I hope that the Formal Spoken Arabic course will give me a step up on speaking and listening. I can read and memorize verb conjugation, pronouns, iDaafa, and sentences, but speaking them is truly another animal. Because of this, I've also recently signed up on sharedtalk.com and have found two people willing to teach me Arabic (MSA, no less) over voice chat -- something I hope will prove useful!

Current Issues:
I'm not sure how to initiate a good voice chat (they're both proficient in English). I would love ideas on this, as I'm not sure how to go about it, aside from introducing myself in the target language. Do I ask them how to say certain things in Arabic? Do I ask for extra examples of things I'm learning in class?

For now, my immediate objects are to memorize vocab chapters 1-5 in Al-kitaab, listen to and write down the example sentences from the Al Kitaab DVDs, and start on Formal Spoken Arabic. I'm not even sure if Rosetta Stone will be useful right now -- any input?

And lastly, I plan on updating what I've learned and my next objectives every Tuesday and Thursday (my class days). Until then, I would love any advice on my study habits, objectives, and anything else you have to throw in there.

Any and all recommendations welcome!
1 person has voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6958 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
26 October 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing what you think about the Formal Spoken Arabic Fast Course.

ic32987
Groupie
United States
Joined 6283 days ago

50 posts - 54 votes 

Message 3 of 4
31 October 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Hmm.

Unit One, Lessons 1-4 Rosetta Stone. Nothing new for me, but perhaps a slight review of colors. Otherwise, I suppose it has been fairly useful for just repeating what the speaker is saying and working on my pronunciation. I have a feeling that simply repeating what I'm hearing can really help in the long run.

Class...is, well, class. Slow progress. During the first half of the class where our professor speaks only in Arabic about whatever is on his mind, I'm lost. The only thing I gathered out of him speaking for 25 minutes was جون يكتب ورقة

In addition to my poor language skills in class, we have a 'video quiz' tomorrow. We're paired with another person from class randomly and told to make and memorize a short dialouge which will be recorded (video) and played to the rest of class. I was paired with two students from class, and our theme is Thanksgiving (the holiday). Our script is pretty poor, and I'm not sure how it translates to Arabic ears, but our tutor said it makes sense. We'll see.

ماذا ستفعلين قي عيد الشكر؟
ساذهب الى بيت والدي للاكل
و انت اريكا؟
ساذهب الى لمشاهدة فيلم
اي فيلم؟
لا اعرف
ماذا ستفعل؟
انا ساكون مشغولا بالعمل
اين تعمل؟
في المستشفى سالم
كم ساعة؟
12 ساعات
تكونين مع اسرتك مكايلا؟
نعم

ic32987
Groupie
United States
Joined 6283 days ago

50 posts - 54 votes 

Message 4 of 4
02 November 2007 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
In regards to Formal Spoken Arabic (FAST):

Decent dialogues, handy chapter vocab, and semi-useful practice problems to drill it in. Grammar seems to be on the light side, but no complaints here. I enjoy this format much better than Al-Kitaab, and the audio CD is very nice.

Lesson One is basic, covering introductions. It begins by dialogue -- a conversation between an Arab and an American. I'll highlight the general format followed throughout the book:
-On the page to the left, the conversation is in Arabic script (very helpful), and on the right it's transliterated with a translation below.
-On the following page the vocab is broken down and defined.
-Several exercises per chapter utilizing the new vocab.
-Audio CD with the dialogue spoken by a native in a "normal" (a bit slow) speed.
-A separate track with the dialogue spoken slowly.
-A separate track with the vocab spoken and repeated.
-A separate track with example sentences spoken by different speakers (termed the Comprehension track).
-An okay mixture between MSA and colloquial (I believe Levantine, although all pronunciation is held to MSA), leaving it suitable to MSA students.
-CD can be played on both computer and CD player. Easy to move tracks to MP3 player.

Thumbs up.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version