Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6808 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 6
29 October 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone

I will be living in Belgium for the next six months and possibly the next 18 months. I will be taking this golden opportunity to perfect my French and Dutch. I have been there for one week and already have practised them both a lot. My first taste of this was on the Brussels underground where they have instructions for tickets in French and Dutch. I love the fact there is no English! It really focuses your mind.

I have already noticed that I can detect when someone is not a native French speaker. The other day I was buying train tickets in the train station in Brussels and detected that the guy behind the counter who was serving a French woman in front of me said the word "Euro" a little unusually, and this told me that he was probably a Dutch speaker. When it was my turn this was confirmed. He told me in Dutch he was impressed with my Dutch. I was very happy

The second time this happened was when I was viewing an appartment. I spoke with the landlord for about twenty minutes in French, then he switched to English, and I noticed he spoke with a slightly "Germanic" accent in English. I then asked him if he was Flemish, and he said yes, at which point I began speaking Dutch with him.

The third time this happened was in Strasbourg in France (we travel there quite frequently with work). I noticed the girl behind the desk in the hotel had a slight accent when she spoke French, and I asked her if she was French, and she said that she was from Hungary.

My French is really improving. The other day a colleague asked me if I would phone for help because he had two problems. The TV in his office wasn't working, and the lock on his bathroom wasn't working (our offices have a bathroom in them). I phoned the help desk in French and the conversation in French went very well. The person on the other end of the phone asked me if the door was broken in the shower itself, to which I said no, and clarified it was the general bathroom door that was broken. About ten minuts later, two workmen showed up and did repairs. This told me my French had worked.

I also used some French walking back through Brussels after the rugby world cup final. A French speaker stopped me and asked me in French who won the rugby, I told him Afrique du Sud, and I was pleased to have understood him and asnwered correctly. I have also been using the phrase "Ne derangez pas" as we hang this sign outside our offices to stop the over zealous security guards bursting in on us lol.

As for my Dutch, well I practised a little with my landlord who says that I have a pretty good accent, although I sound "rusty" in his opinion. I met a Dutch speaking guy who told me that sometimes I sound more Dutch than Flemish, but that this is only on certain words. There is also a sports bar in Brussels owned by a Flemish guy and when I go into his place, I order in Dutch. The other day he told me in English that "You are getting better everyday" which was very encouraging.

I have also had a chance to use my Spanish and German! We were in the aforementioned sports bar when a Spanish guy got talking to me at the bar, and we spoke in Spanish for a few minutes as we watched the soccer, and he taught me the phrase "La temporada termina en mayo". In Strasbourg the other day I was walking along and asked someone for directions to a post box in French and he said that he spoke German, so I asked him in German if he could tell me where the post box was. He couldn't. But at least I got to use my German (and I did eventually find the post box).

All in all, massivley enjoyable. I am relishing every second of being able to use my languages, and am always pleased to have a successful interchange, especially when there is a compliment afterwards (e.g. "je spreek erg goed Nederlands").

I will be updating this very frequently. I am aiming to update daily, so please tune in for more! If you have any comments or tips, please feel free to comment. I strongly encourage you to contribute.
1 person has voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6593 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 2 of 6
29 October 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Wow, you sure get around! All that in one week? Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6808 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 3 of 6
04 November 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Today I am relaxing in Brussels. I have noticed my Dutch listening is a lot better. The other day I got off the bus and asked the driver for directions, he gave them to me and I understood every word. I was also pleased because I asked him if I had to wait for the next bus and I understood when he explained that the bus I was waiting for didnt operate at the weekend. I also regularly practice my Dutch in a sports bar and I enjoy this.

My French is also getting a lot better, and I have noticed that I can understand French very well in non native accents.

Stay tuned for more!

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6808 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 4 of 6
17 November 2007 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
I am still enjoying using my French and Dutch, and I have found that small talk is a great way to improve your language skills. Make a comment about the weather in the stores, and the person serving you talks back. If you understand, you can continue the conversation if not, no big deal as its only small talk anyway.

Today I was especially happy because of my ability to use French to get some assistance in a laundry place. I then returned the favour when the person asked me to translate something for them into English!

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6808 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 5 of 6
18 November 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Today there was a Belgian unity rally in the park near my apartment. I went along, and after eating some waffles, noticed speeches being given in French and Dutch. I understood one Dutch speaker saying "We have been together for 177 years, we don't have to give that up". Around the stage in the park, sheets of paper with the Belgian national anthem were handed out, written in the countries three official languages, and then loudspeakers blared out the anthem in one language after the other. Nice bit of practical real life interaction with about 50,000 native speakers of three languages there!

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6808 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 6 of 6
30 November 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
The other night I went to a French conversation class in Brussels, and really enjoyed it. I also went to a house warming party and spent about 30 minutes chatting to two French speaking guests.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version