Felixelus
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6781 days ago

237 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
04 November 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
I didn’t really know where to put this so I’ll put it in here and hope for the best!

This weekend I went to London to go to the annual language show at Kensington Olympia and it was fantastic. There were two levels of stalls with all different language schools and programs as well as organisations that generally support language learning of all kinds (in school, self taught etc). There were also language taster sessions for all kinds of languages. I decided to go to the Russian one. Now I’ve never studied Russian in my life but it was so fun! She gave us a sheet with the Cyrillic alphabet on it and then a Russian conversation. I was taken aback when she expected me to be able to follow it…luckily I was sat next to a guy who had studied Russian before so he helped me through. We practised what we had learnt immediately with our partners and I was surprised to learn that Russian hurts my throat! Just 10 minutes of practise and my vocal chords were aching from the effort…I guess it’s something you get used too. I also found this with the Chinese taster session. I’m guessing it’s something to do with the fact English doesn’t use the full range of vocal chord motion like Russian and Chinese! Still the taster sessions were very fun and motivating. I think I’ve come down with a serious case of wonderlust since I really want to learn Japanese, Chinese, Russian and German now! (lol)

Now, at the show there were various talks. I could only go to the show on Saturday and Sunday but here is a list of the talks I attended:
How far can you go with online language learning – Two guys from the BBC languages website giving a guided tour of some of the best online sites for learning various languages.
Are my students really learning? – a FASCINATING talk on neurological research on the effect of learning on the brain and concentrating on language learning. This was the best talk I went too!
Adult language learning through humour – A teacher of Spanish explain how she uses cartoons from various newspapers in her lessons.
Italian Feast – Lots of gorgeous food and drink from the Molise area of Italy
Making you travel and language work for you – Guy from Lonely Planet talking about travelling and working while improving language skills.
Learn or improve languages whilst making friends online – An IT guy talking about online social networking sites.
Germany Unveiled – LOVELY German wine and a culture talk…made me want to learn German!
If we had to talk to our ancestors, would we understand each other – Another fascinating talk this time about how the English language has changed over the last thousand years

Please feel free to ask me about the details of the talks or the taster sessions or indeed who had stalls there!

1 person has voted this message useful

Cherepaha
Diglot
United States
Joined 6532 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 2 of 3
08 November 2007 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
Felixelus wrote:
How far can you go with online language learning – Two guys from the BBC languages website giving a guided tour of some of the best online sites for learning various languages.

Thank you for the summary, Felixelus!
Did you get a chance to take notes on any of the sites they've discussed?

Felixelus
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6781 days ago

237 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
16 November 2007 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Hey Cherepaha!
They gave out a handout with all the sites they mentioned in the talk on it.
What kind of sites were you interested in? They list dictionaries, grammar, courses, sites for intermediate/advanced learners, communication with e-pals site and sites for language teachers.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version