Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6977 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
19 November 2007 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I've been keeping quiet for a while but I'm still busy with Spanish.
Actualy, I've revived my motivation a little.
For a while, due to circumstances, I thought about learning French as well or even first. But I realized that I then would end up with neither. Starting a new language would take a lot of time and effort and I'd better use those to finish Spanish first. Later when I'm fluent I can always study another language if I want to. Also I came to the conclusion that I really do prefer Spanish for several reasons. So after having come to these conclusions I fully focused on Spanish again.

First I repeated all the lessons of Platiquemos I learned thus far (unit 1 till 23).
I listened to everything and I copied the files where I wasn't fluent into a "difficult folder". Then I repeated the files in there till I knew everything well enough. And now I've picked up where I stopped: unit 24. I hope to finish it this week or next week. I do take my time, I'm not in a hurry, but I do want to move on. The steps don't need to be large, nor do I need to run, but I do want to take a step every day.

When it comes to my progress, I have noticed some improvements here and there and I'm using more Spanish resources. I also USE the language more. For instance I have chatted a few times in Spanish. Of course I'm limited in the things I can write but I have managed to make decent chit-chat conversations with some people and I even made friends with 2 or 3 people. It's really nice when people actualy ask your MSN E-mail to stay in touch. So that is something new to me, actually chatting and mailing in Spanish :)

I also watch Spanish tv more. I started with watching a few old Schwarzenegger DVD's I have :) I chose for Spanish audio and watched the movies. Since I knew exactly what was going to happen and what was being said, it was a nice easy start :)
But now I also discovered a Colombian christian channel on the web which transmits quite a lot of movies. Those movies are easier to follow because of the simple usage of language (generally speaking) and because I know the context quite well.
This is the same with telenovelas, they are also easier to understand.
Maybe also because the topics are easier, every day life instead of politics or science. The news for instance is much harder!! Anyway, I have watched 2 movies last week and I enjoyed watching the movies, I could really understand the plot and a lot of details as well. I figure that exposure to the language is always a good thing. That's how I learned German and English, at least it will improve my Spanish. And it does, I pick up sayings and words, for instance "te toca a ti" (your turn). It's not a lot but nevertheless, more knowledge, experience and another step :)

Well, that's it for now.
It's good to be back :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6593 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 2 of 7
19 November 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
tuffy wrote:
I pick up sayings and words, for instance "te toca a ti" (your turn). It's not a lot but nevertheless, more knowledge, experience and another step :)

Alliteration works wonders with my memory. The more fun it is to actually say a word or phrase, the easier I remember it.

Good luck as you move ahead!
1 person has voted this message useful

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6301 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 7
19 November 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
tuffy wrote:
... I also discovered a Colombian christian channel on the web which transmits quite a lot of movies. Those movies are easier to follow because of the simple usage of language ...

Can you give the link? Thanks.

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6977 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 7
19 November 2007 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that's true, the more fun the better you remember.

The link is: www.avivamiento.com
The video is rather dark by the way.

Edited by tuffy on 19 November 2007 at 8:13pm

manny
Triglot
United States
Joined 6301 days ago

248 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Tagalog
Studies: French, German

Message 5 of 7
19 November 2007 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
tuffy wrote:
... www.avivamiento.com

Es bueno. Gracias por la informaciĆ³n.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6837 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 7
20 November 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Keep at it Tuffy. Glad to see you are getting into gear with it again. I wish you success, and luck too if you need it (which I doubt ;o).

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6958 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 7
20 November 2007 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version