leosmith
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 9
24 November 2007 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
I think I have everything ready for my Japanese listening-reading attempt. Thanks to sheetz, I have the audio and parallel text for Sherlock Holmes - The Red Headed League (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle). Thanks to q, I have the the Wakan mouse-over dictionary for those tough words.

So here's the original listening-reading method in a nutshell (some people don't like the brevity of this summary. For a more detailed description, please see the listening thread).

1. read it in L1
2. listen to the L2 recording and look at the L2 text
3. read the L1 translation while listening to the L2 recording; redo until it is well understood (usually 3 times)
4. while listening to L2, repeat after the recording
5. translate from L1 to L2, orally and manually

I think I'll simplify it a little bit more. I only have about an hour a day to devote to it, so here goes:
1. read it in L1
3. read the L1 translation while listening to the L2 recording
4. read the book in L2

Edited by leosmith on 24 November 2007 at 8:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 2 of 9
24 November 2007 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
Step 1 is complete. It was a quick read. I'll have to do step 2 tomorrow.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6320 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 9
24 November 2007 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 4 of 9
25 November 2007 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Thanks sheetz. I played the first (of 7) audio files. It was very easy to follow along. So listening to the advice of others on the listening-reding thread, I'm going to jump to step 3, which is supposed to be the heart of this method.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 5 of 9
25 November 2007 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
Finished my first round of step 3. I found it a little boring. I was able to keep my place pretty well, but my comprehension was very poor. Tomorrow I'll do it again. Hopefully by the 3rd time it will start to get clear.

Edited by leosmith on 25 November 2007 at 4:55am

ryuukohito
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
Malaysia
Joined 6179 days ago

89 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Malay*
Studies: French, Japanese

Message 6 of 9
26 November 2007 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Good luck! I am attempting the same listening-reading process as well, but with a different Sherlock Holmes story and Breaking Into Japanese literature, so let's work hard!

I must ask though: how do you recall the sounds of kanji that you do not remember? I encountered this problem quite a bit. (Whereas if I knew a kanji but cannot remember its reading, I could guess for a bit and come out with its proper reading after some time, but if I don't know the kanji form I could look at it for hours and still come to no answer. This is the only part where listening-reading can't help for me; because even if I remember how it sounds like, if I don't know the kanji to attach it to it just won't work.) I'm interested in how you've tackled this problem, that is if you've encountered it.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 7 of 9
26 November 2007 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Finished my second round of step 3. My comprehension and ability to stay on track have definitely improved, but I'm still a long way from it being "well understood". I hope the 3rd time is a charm.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6493 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 8 of 9
26 November 2007 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
ryuukohito wrote:
I must ask though: how do you recall the sounds of kanji that you do not remember?

First, let me point out that I'm no expert on this method. In fact, I doubt that it's as great as people make it out to be, especially for Japanese and Chinese. I'm doing this on the off chance that this really does work, and also to give the method a fair trial for my own personal curiosity.

Taking that into consideration, my question to you is, have you followed the method the way it's supposed to be done? Have you used a whole novel, or at least a long story, and done the following?

1. read it in L1
3. read the L1 translation while listening to the L2 recording; redo until it is well understood (usually 3 times)
4. while listening to L2, repeat after the recording
5. translate from L1 to L2, orally and manually

If you've finished that, and you still can't read kanji, then you can say that the method doesn't work for you.

Even though I haven't completed all the steps yet, my guess is that it can't teach one kanji, or at least not nearly as efficiently as combination of isolated character/word study and reading.

I am not a beginner at Japanese, but I'm not able to read very well yet. I can recognize essentially all the characters I see, because I finished Heisig's Remembering the Kanji (I highly recommend it to you), so I won't encounter the problem you are having.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version