Chile
theheap.awardspace.c
Joined 7003 days ago

23 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 7
21 September 2006 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
There's always a moment in which one knows enough vocabulary to understand and be understood, but not enough to feel confortable. And, no matter what one does, new words seem to appear everywhere and it is difficult to learn new vocabulary. I think I'm in this stage in Russian right now.

Here's a little discovery:

Not long ago, I created a website about the (little I know of the) Russian language. I had to create a mail account for the website, and just to make things look more Russian, I decided it had to be a .ru account.

Some days later, and having looked at the dictionary only once or twice, I had got acquainted with words and expressions such us "folder", "inbox", "draft", "send", "check mail", "trash". But in Russian, of course.

I can't recall the meaning of words I've seen lots of times written on some vocabulary notebook or some piece of paper sticked on the wall. Even "basic" words. But I could learn these e-mail related words having seen them few times, because they were in context.

I had to learn the words if I didn't want to accidentally erase my email!

So, I just thought I would share this old, old lesson with you: it's important to learn words in context.
1 person has voted this message useful

ItsuNaneo
Triglot
United States
Joined 6539 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 7
06 October 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
I think context is especially important in languages like Russian. In learning Spanish, it was very easy to make work hooks, and frankly, alot of Spanish is like english, so vocab was no big deal...but with russian, word hooks are harder and learning something in context, for example, I learned the vocab of everything I would come across in my classroom and school. Never forgot any of them.

Here is something else i've found. When a native russian speaker told me what a russian word meant, I never forgot it...and I never had to "study" the word like I would if I took it out of a dictonary.

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6953 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 3 of 7
06 October 2006 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
ItsuNaneo wrote:
I think context is especially important in languages like Russian. In learning Spanish, it was very easy to make work hooks, and frankly, alot of Spanish is like english, so vocab was no big deal...

Thanks for emphasising that point. I have to agree that it's harder with Russian as fewer words resemble English. Basic words like самолет and гостиница don't resemble anything Latin-based.

I've been tempted to look up all the words in texts I don't understand completely. Yet, it doesn't seem like it would be productive as I would likely forget words I didn't have to use much.

EDIT: I didn't realise till after composing this that I was posting in someone's Learning Log and not all that related to the first post. So thanks to jong for the good advice.

Edited by Sir Nigel on 06 October 2006 at 11:27pm

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 7037 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 4 of 7
07 October 2006 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
Thanks for emphasising that point. I have to agree that it's harder with Russian as fewer words resemble English. Basic words like самолет and гостиница don't resemble anything Latin-based.

Perhaps not, but Russian is nice because the words have analyzable roots. Both words you used as examples can be broken down into their roots which clearly shows what they mean.

Самолет
Сам - self
лет - flying
So Самолет is a self flying thing, or an airplane

Гостиница
Гость - guest
иница - just a suffix. If it's analyzable, I can't tell.
So гостиница is a "guest thing" or a hotel. Maybe not as crystal clear as the previous example, but the root of the word is still clearly visible.

Edited by Darobat on 07 October 2006 at 10:50am

Sir Nigel
United States
Joined 6953 days ago

1126 posts - 1102 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 7
07 October 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
That's true especially with the really long words. They're often (all?) just shorter words joined together.

Russian is so logical.... yet not easy when you study things like genitive plural and verbal aspect!

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 7037 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 6 of 7
08 October 2006 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Sir Nigel wrote:
That's true especially with the really long words. They're often (all?) just shorter words joined together.
For the most, they are. Once you get a good grounding in your root words, it's a great ego boost when you can look at words and figure out what they mean. Some more examples just for fun.
Самостоятельно
само - self
стоят - standing
ельно - adverb ending
So it's an adverb meaning to standing on your own, or "independantly".

Правоохранительный
право - law, rights
охран - protection
ительный - an adjective ending which indicates it's someone who does the aforementioned.
So it's an adjective for someone who protects the law, or "law-enforcement"

Приземлять
при - motion towards
зем - earth, ground
лять - a verb ending
So it's a verb meaning motion towards the ground, or "to land" like when talking about airplanes.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6121 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 7 of 7
30 September 2007 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
A great vocabulary resource for Russian, published by Routledge (London) in 1996, is Nicholas Brown's frequency list of 10,000 Russian words, "Russian Learner's Dictionary". It was also published in the USA.

Edited by William Camden on 30 September 2007 at 1:31pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version