Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 1 of 22
01 May 2007 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
With this log I hope to learn Italian and keep tabs on my progress. I am using michel Thomas and berlitz Italian grammar and then plan to move onto some easy readers, and eventually native material.

I started learning Italian 2 weeks ago, and I'm currently going through the michel Thomas 8 hour course, backing that up with the transcripts and the berlitz grammar book.

I will be posting here every time I think i've made some progress or need some opinions on some specific subject matters.

1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7225 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 22
02 May 2007 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your Italian. This is one language well worth speaking and which will bring you many joys!

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 3 of 22
02 May 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
Thank you administrator.

Just a quick note, I'm learning all the technical grammar terms before I embark on full-bore study, but I'm still going through the michel Thomas 8 hour course and I'm loving it. As soon as I have finished the basic course I'm moving onto the advanced course. This should all happen in 3 weeks.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 4 of 22
06 May 2007 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Well… I have finished the Michel Thomas basic and advanced courses now. I spent the last three days on the advanced course, seven hours the first day and ten hours the last two days. This was not my initial intension but I couldn't stop, and now my brain has never felt so worked and tired in all my life. I'm now ahead of schedule.

I'm going to work on word order, as I feel my ability to conjugate verbs is quite good, although I'm still a little unsure of the subjunctive.

EDIT:I wrote: "My plan is to learn Italian in 6 months, is this possible?" I think it is possible so there was no need to ask the question.

Edited by Kleberson on 06 May 2007 at 6:54am

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 5 of 22
07 May 2007 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I have completed roughly five and a half hours of grammar work today, mainly learning word order, linking clauses and how parts of an Italian sentence can be moved up or down depending on emphasis (quite confusing).

Plans are now being made for vocabulary acquisition. I've ordered, 'mastering Italian vocabulary', 'berlitz Italian vocabulary handbook', 'berlitz 1000 words for kids' and finally 'Michel Thomas Italian vocabulary'. Hopefully, once I have exhausted all these courses I should be able to read magazines, newspapers and most native texts.

To date, I have not had many problems with learning Italian, but maybe it's too early to tell, and I obviously can't converse very well yet, as I've only had a few weeks of learning, but what I have learnt seems to be sticking.

Edited by Kleberson on 07 May 2007 at 5:35pm

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 6 of 22
10 May 2007 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
I'm having a bit of trouble working out the uses of 'ci' in Italian. In the following sentence 'ci' is used twice, but for what purpose?

"Noi non ci siamo riusciti, provateci voi!"
"We didn't succeed, you try it!"

I've been reading about it in my grammar book, but I'm still unsure of its uses, any help would be welcome.

Edited by Kleberson on 10 May 2007 at 6:34am

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 7 of 22
12 May 2007 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Well, I hit a brick wall with the uses of "ci" the other day, but now I have some sense of it. I'm still working hard on word order, and I find it quite hard to construct sentences according to emphasis, I keep forgetting the order, however I think its just practice that's needed here.

This language learning business is harder than I thought it would be, but at the same time its enjoyable, because my original thoughts on language learning was that it was dull and boring, not any more however.

My aims for the next few weeks is to complete the "Michel Thomas Vocabulary course" when it comes out, and to work hard on the subjunctive, as well as preposition/pronoun usage, and as usual continue with word order.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 8 of 22
01 June 2007 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
I bought "A Reference Grammar of Modern Italian vol.2"; it has to be the biggest grammar book I've ever seen. I also have the accompanying workbook that goes with it, so I'm going to exhaust both of these. The book goes into such depth in all areas of grammar, which is what I really need, especially with word order/prepositions etc, and it is the only grammar that I've seen that has an extensive amount of information about every way to construct an Italian sentence (word order).

Aside from all this I'm still working on the "Michel Thomas Italian vocabulary course" which I really love and highly recommend to anyone. I've worked through it once already, but I'm now going through it again, especially the cognates section. I'm also still plugging through "mastering vocabulary" which is quite boring but necessary for my improvement.

I am aiming for basic fluency by the end of this September; I've been told this is quite an unrealistic target, considering I have no Italian TV, radio or access to any Italian speakers, but I'm aiming for it anyway. Because of this problem, I've noticed that my speaking and reading skills are quite good, I can get my point across etc, but my listening skills are really bad even with some of the most basic of things sometimes.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version