aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6739 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 9 of 22
01 June 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
Well, I hit a brick wall with the uses of "ci" the other day, but now I have some sense of it.

I understand your pain! I am still having trouble figuring out how to use 'ne' (and 'ci') properly. I understand how they work in a sentence when reading something in Italian but I'm clueless when it comes to creating my own sentences (a problem compounded by the fact I keep confusing Spanish and Italian).

Anyway, good luck with your quest to conquer Italian.

In bocca al lupo! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 22
01 June 2007 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
lady_skywalker wrote:
Kleberson wrote:
Well, I hit a brick wall with the uses of "ci" the other day, but now I have some sense of it.

I understand your pain! I am still having trouble figuring out how to use 'ne' (and 'ci') properly. I understand how they work in a sentence when reading something in Italian but I'm clueless when it comes to creating my own sentences (a problem compounded by the fact I keep confusing Spanish and Italian).

Anyway, good luck with your quest to conquer Italian.

In bocca al lupo! :)

I have some trouble with them as well; it's only since I started shadowing Assimil and trying to pay a lot of attention to the sentences that I find there and that I read which aren't like anything that I'd say (ie, the ones that seem right, but not 'natural'/internalized) that I've started using them.

The trickiness of 'ci' is compounded by the fact it has quite a lot of uses in Italian.

As lady skywalker said, 'in bocca al lupo'!

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 11 of 22
02 June 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
I'm getting the hang of them now, but they still cause problems, but with more practice I should get there.

Good luck to you also!

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 12 of 22
10 June 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
I have been using the grammar book, and vocabulary book previously mentioned with slow, but some success, it's the boredom that's making it a long affair.

I have ordered the "Assimil Italian" course, with the hope that I will be able to speak with natives after finishing it, I have done some reading on this forum about the course, and there seems to be mixed reviews, but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Soon, maybe in a few months time, I want to write in this log in Italian only. I'm not yet 100% confident in my ability to do so yet, but I've only been studying the language for about 2 months.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 13 of 22
17 June 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
Well, apart from nearly giving up Italian in order to start Spanish, I have had a good week of learning. I recently bought two books, "Italian verb drills" to consolidate on my verb conjugating ability, and "Italian pronouns and prepositions" to untangle this tricky part of grammar. I have to say that I really like these two books, and they are helping my Italian studies really well.

I also started Assimil Italian, which for the first 10 lessons I didn't like, but I seem to be getting along with it ok now. The translation issues people have raised here on this forum regarding Assimil has some validity. They are not at all literal, which for me isn't so good because I'm learning the structure of sentences through the use of literal translation, which Assimil doesn't provide. However, to conquer this problem, all you need to do is make some literal translations yourself, problem solved. You'll also need a grammar book, because Assimil barley explain grammar, this should also certainly be a follow up course to a course similar to Michel Thomas.

All in all, studies seem to be on track.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 14 of 22
27 June 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
I recently started this course "Corso d'Italiano" by linguaphone. I'm not sure what I'm going to get out of it, because it was released in 1971, but still worth a try.

I have been very sloppy with my studies lately; I've barley done anything for over two weeks. Learning vocabulary and word order has been/is a very tedious part of learning for me, I actually dread looking up new phrases in my vocabulary book, because I know I'm going to find something which will take me hours to understand.

But still, I must carry on...

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 15 of 22
04 July 2007 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I have upped my efforts in Italian immensely since last posting, and feel the need for a few days break already, but its how I earn best it seems.

I have also managed to find an Italian TV channel on sky, and its no extra cost, its channel 509 if anyone is interested, and from the UK.

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6540 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 16 of 22
05 July 2007 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
I recently started this course "Corso d'Italiano" by linguaphone. I'm not sure what I'm going to get out of it, because it was released in 1971, but still worth a try.

How have your experiences with linguaphone been?I heard it was a good course.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version