Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 17 of 22
05 July 2007 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
I was really surprised when I started using it; I thought it would be an out-dated course. However, it has been a really excellent course, which I'm thoroughly enjoying at the moment. If anyone ever has the chance to use this course, do it, you wont be disappointed.
1 person has voted this message useful

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6540 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 22
05 July 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Kleberson wrote:
I was really surprised when I started using it; I thought it would be an out-dated course. However, it has been a really excellent course, which I'm thoroughly enjoying at the moment. If anyone ever has the chance to use this course, do it, you wont be disappointed.

Do you think its better than Assimil's Italian course?I ask because of Assimil's poor translations.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 19 of 22
06 July 2007 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
If I had to pick one to keep at this moment, I think it would be Assimil, because the poor translations can be easily rectified by the learner re-doing them him/herself. I think assimil has more content, with the exception being grammar explanations.

The Linguaphone course has literal translations, which is a big plus for me, and the course has a separate book explaining the grammar of each lesson.

If I was a total beginner I would choose corso d'italiano over assimil, because I think the Assimil Italian course would have just confused me in the beginning. Both great courses, it just seems more effort was put in by Linguaphone not to confuse beginners.

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6540 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 20 of 22
14 July 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Do you think someone could gain basic fluency with Linguaphone or would you need Assimil to suppliment it?

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 21 of 22
21 July 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
I think so yes, though I'm not really qualified to answer this because I'm new to language learning. However, this is what I'm doing now. I'm not using the courses to their instructions though.

EDIT: I mean I think you could gain basic fluency, with Linguaphone and Assimil. Using just the Linguaphone course wouldn't take you to basic fluency, I don't think.

Edited by Kleberson on 21 July 2007 at 2:19pm

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6267 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 

Message 22 of 22
28 August 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 

I haven't been on the forum much lately, because I've been studying Italian really hard. I think it's safe to say I'm on my way to basic fluency, which is my goal. I am finding that basic and complex sentence constructions are starting to come naturally now, through the use of Assimil. I have also been using news articles from the Internet, which is also helping quite a lot.

All in all, I feel I'm making good progress with this language and I look forward to watching TV in it, which shouldn't be too long I hope.

Ciao!

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version