FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6714 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 17 of 30
21 May 2007 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
I continued with Hugo French in 3 Months and did 1 hour 20-30. Today I looked at "re" verbs, and found them pretty tricky! I found that verbs which have "mettre" or "prendre" in the stem are irregular. I did figure out a pattern but its still a little tricky.

Things I did well:

* identified a pattern with mettre/prendre verbs.

Things that need work:

* memorising the pattern.
* mastering the perfect tense (avoir+verb).
1 person has voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6714 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 18 of 30
24 May 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
I have been unwell for the past few days, so my practice has declined. However, I did manage 30 minutes or so yesterday, and scored 85% in the end of unit test for week 2 of "Teach Yourself Instant French". Today I received a lexical frequency dictionary of French, which should be helpful.

Things I need to improve:

* I got "est" mixed up with "c'est".
* gender. For the task "the car is big" I said "La voiture est grande" as opposed to "elle est grande".
* I somehow managed to mix up "avoir" with "aller".
* I got "ĂȘtes" mixed up with "est".

Edited by FuroraCeltica on 24 May 2007 at 7:56am

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6714 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 19 of 30
26 May 2007 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
I've been getting a lot better (at least health wise lol) and did one hour of French last, concentrating on direct pronouns

e.g. Je l'ai invite

I got confused with the plural "les", and accidentally abbreviated it as "l'" in some cases.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6714 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 20 of 30
28 May 2007 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
Last night I did 1 hour on "Hugo French in 3 Months" and worked on the future tense of verbs

- ai, as, a, ons, ez, ont

I also learned the irregular future verbs, and was really pleased to have detected a pattern, largely assisted by my knowledge of Spanish.

venir, aller, etre

I noticed that in the future tense, they behave similar to Spanish future tense.

etre ---> serai, seras, sera

This reminded me of the Spanish future tense of "ser", and once you add the verb ending for future tense to it, its easier to remember.

aller ---> irai, iras, ira

this reminded me of the Spanish verb "ir" in its future tense forms, and thus was much easier to remember.

venir ---> vendrai, vendras

This reminded me of certain Spanish verbs of "tendré" etc, making it easier to remember

I also found that the other irregular verbs were surprisingly easy as well, and all this really helped and boosted my confidence. I needed this because the last few days I have been ill and had to skip study.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6714 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 21 of 30
31 May 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I have been away on business for two days, and did about 1.5 hours of French focusing on verb tenses, such as the imperfect tense (was/were ...ing) and the future tense. I also got 88% in an end of unit test in TY Instant French. All in all, things are going well, although my vocabulary is small, even if my grammar is reasonably good.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6714 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 22 of 30
27 September 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I have been offered a job in Belgium, so I know have an added incentive to learn French! I haven't made an entry here for some time but I have still been studying French, albeit in shorter bursts due to other time commitments.

Marj
United States
Joined 6415 days ago

257 posts - 283 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, French

Message 23 of 30
27 September 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on the job offer. If you take the job in Belgium it should help you improve your French quickly from what I've heard about immersion! Good luck.

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6714 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 24 of 30
28 September 2007 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Marj wrote:
Congratulations on the job offer. If you take the job in Belgium it should help you improve your French quickly from what I've heard about immersion! Good luck.

Thank you, I am very excited about it!

My French today was on the imperfect tense. I found it a little tricky, and forgot the proper endings in the plural.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version