Polyglot2005
United States
Joined 7037 days ago

184 posts - 185 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 2
14 June 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I will be joining in on the fun. I guess it officially starts tommorow.

I took French for 6 years (four years in high school and two in college). During that time I developed decent listening comprehension skills. I had a horrible accent and could barely construct a sentence though.

I took a few semesters of Hebrew and already knew how to read it from preparing from my Bar Mitzvah (which was 10 years ago). Hebrew was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the teacher. Her method was speaking only in Hebrew (very occasionally she spoke in English).

I had some exposure to this in highschool with French. I always seemed to have a better time understanding what was going on than most of the other students. Anyway, the Hebrew teacher used gestures and other cues to help us understand. However I missed the second semester of beginners Hebrew and the next year I tried intermediate Hebrew and I was hopelessly lost.

Here is the plan:

French: I will be going through one French In Action episode a day. I will be keeping track of how well I am understanding what is going on in each episode. When I get to the last episode I will go back to the beginning. I will be trying not to translate in my head. I want to have a very relaxed, pressure-free approach to the FIA episodes.

Hebrew: I am waiting on the Hebrew Basic Program from Learnables. This program uses audio and picture books and focuses on comprehension. Along with this I will be editing up some Pimsleur lessons and other audio and do some repeated listening of phrases.

Korean: Korean I have been toying with for some time. I have The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide. I will be editing the mp3 CD that came with the book and do repeated listening of all of the tracks on the CD.

Spanish: For Spanish I will be working through Platiquemos. My goal is just to get through it. I may go through it very fast. But I want to take a "multiple pass/wave approach."

I would add something for Cantonese which is another language I am very interested in. But I think I've spread myself thin enough with the above plan of action.
1 person has voted this message useful

Polyglot2005
United States
Joined 7037 days ago

184 posts - 185 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 2
17 August 2007 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Procrastination is a serious problem!
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version