United States
Joined 6700 days ago

173 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 1 of 3
15 June 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
I have been away from the forum for a while...and I have to admit been seriously slacking on language studies. It looks like completing FSI basic Spanish is out for this year, as is running a marathon. (I have developed miniscus issues in my knee.)

I had been feeling like a flop and pretty unmotivated until I saw the TAC concept. My goals are to finish level 2 FSI Spanish. I am currently hovering around lesson 21. I have been flirting with German--and would like to complete Pimsleur 1 and the DW course level 1 (German Why Not...)

Another goal is to immersionize my life, a la All Japanese All The Time. I am attempting to remove more of the English and adding more Spanish. I have been adding more Spanish podcasts and will play with the idea of listening to the DW Mission Berlin in the Spanish version. Since today is the deadline for entering, I will have to give more thought on how to increase immersionization. Any ideas are welcomed!!!

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 3
15 June 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
workerbee wrote:

Another goal is to immersionize my life, a la All Japanese All The Time. I am attempting to remove more of the English and adding more Spanish. I have been adding more Spanish podcasts and will play with the idea of listening to the DW Mission Berlin in the Spanish version. Since today is the deadline for entering, I will have to give more thought on how to increase immersionization. Any ideas are welcomed!!!

I'm not currently going for full immersion, but I've been trying to make my environment more Italian-heavy; I've had an 'Italian songs only' policy on my mp3 player so far (I also have the mp3 player's user interface in Italian, but my computers are in English), and I've moved around the stuff on my bookshelves so that the books I stare at whilst at my computer are all in Italian (most), language-related (courses, dictionaries), or in another language (Japanese for the second; I should move my French and German shelves into sight)..

Basically, a lot of little things add up. It's -hard- to stare at several books in Japanese without swearing to start studying it right away, or at least, I find that; and always looking at Italian books makes it a bit easier/more tempting to keep up my daily Italian reading.

Good luck with the challenge, and in general!

workerbee
United States
Joined 6700 days ago

173 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 3 of 3
19 August 2007 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Another summer has almost passed... The language challenge was an exciting concept, but sadly real life intervened. I found that I had a lot of other challenges crop up due to work. (We moved companies and I was given a mandate to pass my licensing test...) I found that I had to focus on my new opportunities and push my language studies into the fall.

So my results were less than outstanding. I stalled about Lesson 25 of FSI Basic Spanish 2, I am hovering around Lesson 13 German Pimsleur 1, and have listened to Deutsch Warum Nicht less than I would have liked. I did up my Spanish radio intake...but get very stuck on the rate of speech and amount of slang used in the Spanish LA radio stations. I am able to get the gist of most things, but miss most of the jokes.

I think my goals moving toward the close of this year will be to complete the summer goals. Also, to somehow compress my 12-14 hour workdays, so I can get home at a decent hour to lock into a Spanish novella on TV. My Latino friends swear by learning English through the American soaps--and I can see the rapid improvement-- so I am thus inspired.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version