Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 19
20 June 2007 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
I will have very little time till the end of July because summer isn't time for holidays but time for university exams where I live. However, I would like to work on my languages as much as possible, especially in August-September (that's when I'm on holidays).
My plans:

MANDARIN CHINESE
Read Chinese texts aloud every day; further develop method for character-learning.

FRENCH
I have an exam in German-French translation on July 9th, so until then I will work on my vocabulary and do translations.

ESPERANTO
My Esperanto is quite good already but as I'm joining the board of Esperanto @ Interreto I need to brush up my vocabulary here, too. I am planning to chat and write webpages in Esperanto and learn all words I need to look up.

ITALIAN
My Italian is very rusty, though it used to be fluent. I have now received the book "The search for the perfect language" by Umberto Ecco in the original Italian and I'm hoping that reading it will help me not let it fall into complete disuse.

LITHUANIAN
I don't know any Lithuanian yet, but I'm getting a trip to Lithuania for the Esperanto @ Interreto meeting in mid-July, so I would like to learn some Lithuanian before then. I don't know any good courses and I don't have access to native speakers so I'll probably just do a couple Pimsleur lessons.

GREEK, ARABIC, SWAHILI:
Now that the 6WC is over, I'll try to do less on Swahili and also on the others so that I can focus on the languages I really want to improve. At least until the end of July.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 19
20 June 2007 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Nice resources I found for Lithuanian:
http://www.debeselis.net/ - short course with a few recordings
http://www.thelithuanians.com/school.html - extensive course with audio recordings
http://www.slic.org.au/Language/LLL_index.swf - decent course done in Flash

Edited by Sprachprofi on 20 June 2007 at 4:42am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 3 of 19
27 June 2007 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Progress update:

* I worked through 3 lessons of Lithuanian from the sites I listed.

* I have worked through the first 篇 of the online Harry Potter in Chinese (reading, listening). Since it's rather hard and I have to note a lot of vocabulary and interesting sentence constructions in Mnemosyne, I work on "The Little Prince" at the same time (mostly just reading it with the help of Wenlin).

* I have finished the first chapter of "The Search for the Perfect Language" by Umberto Eco in Italian. It's very interesting and the language is just challenging enough, as I can usually get the gist of a sentence without using a dictionary, but I rarely know 100% of the the words.

* In Esperanto I'm at chapter 24 of "The Adventures of Jonathan Gullible", which is quite interesting and thought-provoking.

* I study French vocabulary almost every day but now my goal is to translate at least one newspaper article to French every day since my translation exam is on Monday.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 27 June 2007 at 7:35am

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 4 of 19
29 June 2007 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I reviewed the first 篇 of Chinese Harry Potter and worked through another. I also practised the vocabulary in Mnemosyne.

Additionally, I translated one newspaper article into French.

Today I am hoping to do similarly, even though my non-language-crazed boyfriend is visiting for the weekend.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 5 of 19
06 July 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Well, in the last few days I translated another newspaper article (but not more :-( ) and I finished the fourth 篇 of Chinese Harry Potter. I also practise vocabulary in Mnemosyne and read through the Lithuanian lessons.

Today I had a breakthrough: I downloaded a new language-learning game called "Knuckles in China Land" and managed to learn almost 50 new Lithuanian words in less than 2 hours of play. If I still know most of them tomorrow and afterwards, this is a really great tool, especially since vocabulary for any language can be entered. I'll keep you posted.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 6 of 19
08 July 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged 
I continued playing "Knuckles in China Land" a lot. Of course I forgot some words, but I was able to recapture them and I now know almost 100 words of Lithuanian. I have also translated another newspaper article to French.

Today I learned that Esperanto @ Interreto, who are already paying for my trip to Lithuania, will also pay for a trip to a conference in Stockholm at the end of August. So as soon as I'm back from Lithuania I will put in a true Total Annihilation 4 weeks of Swedish. So far the only Swedish I know is "Jag talar inte svenska". This is proving to be an exciting summer.

johntothea
United States
Joined 6477 days ago

193 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Polish, French

Message 7 of 19
08 July 2007 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
If you don't mind me asking, where did you download the game from?

I did a search online and it's all for Japanese.

Thanks!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 8 of 19
08 July 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
johntothea wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you download the game from?

I did a search online and it's all for Japanese.

Thanks!

True, downloading it and installing it is a hassle. The official site is http://www.kicl.info, but their download only contains a Bittorrent link, so you have to use Bittorrent to get the actual files...

The game comes pre-installed with Japanese Kana, Indonesian and German (Warning! I've already spotted a mistake in gender in the German file.). You can also practise Japanese Kanji by loading a vocabulary file that you get with the installation. What really makes the game interesting for me is that you can quickly create your own vocabulary files for any language (including Unicode support) and use it for the game. I created the Lithuanian one myself with the words I want to learn before my trip and I'll also create files for other languages when I tackle them.

Since the game is hardly accessible in this form, going through 2-3 different downloads plus a Bittorrent stream, I have written to the author for permission to re-distribute the game in a single package and I would include e. g. an Esperanto vocabulary file.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version