Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 9 of 19
10 July 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
Update: I now know 152 Lithuanian words, without looking at them outside "Knuckles in China". And I'm not spending all that much time playing the game either...

I wrote my French translation test yesterday and it went well. Even though the text wasn't easy, I had the feeling of slicing through butter, the French sentences just appeared in my head. I hope that I didn't make too many mistakes.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 19
10 July 2007 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
For those interested in using "Knuckles in China" for their language-learning, I have uploaded the setup files to http://www.learnlangs.com/knuckles/KnucklesSetup.zip . You can get the file I created for Lithuanian (currently 226 words) at http://www.learnlangs.com/knuckles/Lithuanian1.clv and I also created a list with 415 words of basic Esperanto (the most common words made of the bold word stems at http://www.lujz.org/komencanto/listo.k.php) which can be downloaded from http://www.learnlangs.com/knuckles/Esperanto_bold.clv.
Enjoy!

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6807 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 11 of 19
10 July 2007 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
How can I incorporate the Lithuanian vocabulary into the program? When I click on your link there's just a site with a list of Lithuanian words (no download).

Also, what about the diacritic marks? As far as I know the Lithuanian orthography is full of them, but there aren't any in your list. And even if there were some, how would I enter these when playing the game?

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 12 of 19
11 July 2007 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
Zorndyke wrote:
How can I incorporate the Lithuanian vocabulary into the program? When I click on your link there's just a site with a list of Lithuanian words (no download).

Also, what about the diacritic marks? As far as I know the Lithuanian orthography is full of them, but there aren't any in your list. And even if there were some, how would I enter these when playing the game?

Right-click on the link and select "Save as..." in order to download. When in the program, select "Start a new game" and click on the colourful sea image rather than any of the national flags in order to be able to load any word list file. Since I also have no way of entering Lithuanian accented letters, I replaced them:
- like in Esperanto, any letter with a caret on them is now followed by an X, e. g. č -> cx
- any letter with a dot on top is now followed by a dot
- any letter with a dash on top is now followed by a dash
- any letter with a comma-like thing underneath is now followed by a comma

EDIT: 190 words this morning! I will have to add more vocabulary to my list again...

Edited by Sprachprofi on 11 July 2007 at 3:51am

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6807 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 13 of 19
11 July 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged 
Thank you, the Lithuanian voc list works now.

I found a way to enter proper Lithuanian characters into the game.
You have to change your keyboard temporarly to Lithuanian settings:
Systemsteuerung ("control panel"?)-> Regions- und Sprachoptionen -> Sprachen -> Details -> Einstellungen, and then add Lithuanian.
Now, on the right site in the "Taskleiste" there should be a "DE". If you click on it, you can choose between Lithuanian and your "normal" keysettings.
Change the settings to Lithuanian.
When you start the game, make sure they're still switched to Lithuanian (they tend to change back to the previous settings when you open a new window).

Now you can easily write using proper Lithuanian script. The Lithuanian letters with diacritic marks are on those buttons where we have our numbers.

This works not just for Knuckles, but for every program (MS Word, etc.).

There are also shortcuts which can be used to change between "DE" and "LT" once you have added Lithuanian.

Edited by Zorndyke on 18 July 2007 at 12:53pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 14 of 19
18 July 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tips.

I am back from Lithuania now. Even though most of the time I was in an international group including two Lithuanians, I am happy I studied some Lithuanian before I went, because this way I could order things in a restaurant myself (not depending on them to translate the menu) and on the last day everybody else left in the morning and my flight only left at 10pm, so I actually had to get by on my own, find a bus connection to the airport, ask for directions to the right bus stop and so on. I already had an opportunity to try out my Lithuanian on the way there, since I met a Lithuanian girl at the German airport and we chatted for about two hours waiting for our flight.

Anyway, I'm off Lithuanian for now and focussing on Swedish. It's a personal challenge: I want to see how much Swedish I can learn before going to Stockholm in August. In Stockholm I'll be staying with a host family, so I expect Swedish skills to be even more valuable than Lithuanian was. I'm using Teach Yourself Swedish and already worked through the pronunciation section and lesson 1 yesterday. Ideally I'll be doing one lesson almost every day and continue with Transparent Swedish after I'm done with TY, but since I also have to study for exams I'll be quite happy if I'm just able to finish TY before going. I noticed there are more than 100 new words spread over the first lesson... fortunately a lot look familiar to Germans.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 15 of 19
03 August 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Well, I finished lesson 2 of TY Swedish and worked on the pronunciation quite a bit, and I finished chapter 2 of The Little Prince in Chinese, studying unknown words as I go. It's somewhat easier than Harry Potter, but I would still get frustrated reading it if I didn't have Wenlin.

Since my exams are over now, I'll try to increase the pace.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 16 of 19
07 August 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Did lesson 3 of TY Swedish and chapters 3+4 of the Little Prince in Chinese, also studying most of the new vocabulary.

Reading Chinese comes much more easily now, but I have big problems trying to make Swedish words stick (I can understand them but not use them actively), since they are so similar to German, Low German and Dutch that my brain won't accept them as new. Does anybody have any tips?

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version