Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 17 of 29
07 August 2007 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Day 16
2 and a half hours today. Started and finished 'Basic Sentences' for Unit 2. Skipped flashcards but will make it up tomorrow because I wanted to finish all the sentences.

The new person they have speaking for part of Unit 2 is much easier to understand, accent seems more correct too.
1 person has voted this message useful

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 18 of 29
08 August 2007 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Day 17
Didn't get any time today but I hope to make it up tomorrow.

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 19 of 29
09 August 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Day 18
2 and a half hours. Started on 'Notes on Pronunciation' and watched FD Episode 10. Only got a few flashcards done due to spending more time on pronunciation.

All went well with pronunciation until I got to the 'pre-vocalic r (voiceless)' section. I can manage the sound in words like noch, doch and nach but Frau, fragen, Trost, prall, Kragen and the like are tripping me up. I can get the rest of the word out perfectly if I pronounce it with an 'r' sound but end up tying myself in knots when I attempt it with the proper sound. Can anyone provide any advice on how to pronounce it or is it simply a matter of listening to them over and over and trying to say them?

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 20 of 29
12 August 2007 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Day 19
Two and a half hours. Watched FD Episode 11. Spent the rest of the time researching pre-vocalic r. I found an academic paper on the subject that was somewhat useful and Wikipedia had some useful information but I'm still struggling with the pronunciation (though I am getting a bit better I think). I'm going to try replacing the n in noch and nach with f, t, p and k and practice pronouncing those to see if it gets me anywhere.

Quite frustrating to get stuck on this given that I've had no problems with pronunciation up to this point.

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 21 of 29
13 August 2007 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Day 20
Two hours today. Revised 'Notes on Pronunciation' before moving on to and finishing 'Notes on Grammar'. I think I'm getting a bit better on pre-vocalic r but it seems like a waste to spend much more time on it. I'll leave it alone for now and will just keep an ear out for when the words come up later on in the unit and do my best to imitate their pronunciation then.

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 22 of 29
14 August 2007 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Day 21
An hour and a half today. Did 3/4 of the 'Substitution Drill' and revised some flashcards.

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 23 of 29
16 August 2007 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Day 22
No time today. Will try and make up for it tomorrow.

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 24 of 29
16 August 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Day 23
An hour and a half today. Watched FD Episode 12 and the uninterrupted version of the previous three episodes. Finished off the FSI Subtitution Drill.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version