Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6862 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 25 of 29
16 August 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I suggest you creating an Excel spreadsheet (or something similar) to keep track of your learning progress. I've used it with French (so far, 700 hours of studying Pimsleur + FSI + French in Action + Reading, Listening, Watching Movies, ... many more things)

The better about this is that you can answer how much time you have spent with Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing. FSI, for instance, I consider 40% Listening, 30% Speaking and 30% Idle, thinking in the language or just doing the Exercises and general reading.

And please, keep us updated on your progress.
1 person has voted this message useful

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 26 of 29
19 August 2007 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Day 24
Watched FD Episode 13. I spent the rest of the time revising flashcards from previous FD episodes. I think I'll take one day each week, probably Mondays, to revise flashcards instead of doing the FSI units. I'll still continue with 10 or so minutes of flashcards each day but I feel I need more time to practice to get them to stick.

----

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll start doing that. Do you only record the date and then how many minutes you spent in each category or do you break it down further into what you spent that time on?

I'm toying with bringing in a reading-only aspect to my learning. Fokus Deutsch and DW's 'News Read Slowly' are good enough for listening comprehension but they're only a small part of each week, most of the time I have is being spent on FSI which, frankly, I'm finding a little dry. It's great at what it's for but I think I need something a little more engaging I can dip into when FSI gets to be a bit too much. Probably something I can read online so it's easy to check the dictionary for words I'm not familiar with.

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6862 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian

Message 27 of 29
20 August 2007 at 3:49am | IP Logged 
I write in the columns each program type, such as: Grammar reading, Music Listerning, FSI, Pimsleur, Flashcards, Book Reading (and I try to write the book name also), TV watching, etc.

In each line I write how many minutes I've spent studying each program. And I group all this information by week, so I can control better my progress.

Hope it helps.

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 28 of 29
20 August 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Splendid, thanks.

I've got some things to attend to so I'll be taking a break for two, maybe three, days.

Khan
Australia
Joined 6195 days ago

26 posts - 26 votes

Message 29 of 29
23 August 2007 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I'll be busy on Monday and Tuesday next week so I'm just going to start again fresh next Wednesday and skip today.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version