Diglot
Romania
Joined 6264 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 81 of 97
02 September 2007 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
I tried to count words in French but it was too naive and it only stressed me out.
If I want to see progress it won't be through this method.
1 person has voted this message useful

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6388 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 82 of 97
02 September 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
It is not so much to count as to provide a way to measure progress and break the vocabulary into smaller, more manageable groups. If I find I can't keep up with my current plan then I'll just adjust it to suit. I'm not really sure how else I would learn vocabulary in a systematic way.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6388 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 83 of 97
06 September 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Still at the vocabulary learning, newspaper articles are gradually becoming easier to understand for me. I didn't do any learning today though, nor any Assimil French. However, a DVD I ordered from Play arrived, it's called "Italiensk for begyndere". In it, the characters speak Italian as well as Danish. Amusingly and disappointingly, I could understand the Italian better than the Danish, despite never having learned Italian. I did pick up some words though, and I intend to watch through it a few times to try and understand better. I've noticed that the pronunciation of common words has quite a lot of variation and some of the people only half pronounce a lot of the words. The movie also gave a slightly more depressing image of Denmark. My friend who went there showed me some pictures she had taken and it looked lovely. I think her mother was from Western Jutland, she said she has quite a country accent compared to Copenhagen people. It was very flat and near the sea, which describes most of Denmark, but it looked very nice. The movie had a much greyer feel to it, but maybe that was due to the whole Dogme school the thing was filmed in. I'm not sure if I agree with making rules like that. I hope to see more Danish cinema soon, I find cinema provides a good way to see how a country is on a day to day basis.

Linguamor
Decaglot
United States
Joined 6562 days ago

469 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 84 of 97
06 September 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
burntgorilla wrote:
I hope to see more Danish cinema soon, I find cinema provides a good way to see how a country is on a day to day basis.

Two Danish movies that I watched recently were Arven (The Inheritance) and Brødre (Brothers). Both are good movies, but Brødre is rather disturbing.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6265 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 85 of 97
08 September 2007 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
In another thread here someone recommended me the movie "De Grønne sl*gtere" or "The green butchers". It is a pitch-dark comedy that teeters between horror and hilarity, so I read. It had been highly sucessful in Denmark a few years ago.

I'll soon start with watching Danish children movies. I ordered "Paulie & Mus i eget hus" and "Stuart Little 1+2". Afterwards I'll try the pitch-dark comedy.

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6264 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds

Message 86 of 97
08 September 2007 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
I found Stuart Little for free.You could try downloading it from hub.blackmaffia.net:4444 in DC++.
It does take a long while though.

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6264 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds

Message 87 of 97
08 September 2007 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
sl*g is something vulgar??

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6853 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 97
08 September 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Oops, I really doubt that we're supposed to post links to hubs or torrents where copyrighted material can be downloaded for free. It has been discussed a couple of times before.

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version