267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 89 of 97
08 September 2007 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
audiolang wrote:
sl*g is something vulgar??

Sorry, that was only an error with copy and paste! It is only the Danish word "sl*gtere" for the English "butchers" and nothing vulgar.

DVD's for children are mostly so cheap, that there is absolutely no advantage for me to download them :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6169 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 90 of 97
08 September 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
You can forget I ever posted that,I downloaded only 20 minutes from it, then it says file not available,definitely not worth the time.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6262 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 91 of 97
08 September 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Burngorilla: If you're interested in Danish cinema, you should see Efter Brylluppet. It's an excellent film, I believe it received an academy award nomination but lost to Das Leben der Anderen.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 92 of 97
08 September 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Thanks all for the film tips. I'm sorely tempted to go ahead and get a few more. I doubt they'll actually improve my Danish at all, but they're good to watch. What the hell, I won't be a student for another three weeks. :)

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 93 of 97
12 September 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
I ended up getting "Arven" ("Inheritance") and I think "Green Butchers", which was out of stock and hasn't arrived yet. I have just watched "Arven", and I found it a bit dull. "Italiensk for begyndere" was also fairly slow, yet it managed to be engaging and a little bit funny. I just found "Arven" to be quite uninteresting. The ending was good, I must admit. Language-wise, I found a slight improvement. It's still only picking out words, but now I can catch at least a couple of words in each sentence, unless they're whispering or muffled. At some times they spoke slowly and clearly and I could understand them well, so I felt happy about that. A similar thing happened as did with "Italiensk for begyndere", except this time I could understand the French bits better than the Danish. In fairness, I learned French for three years when I started secondary school and I'm currently about four weeks into Assimil, so really I should expect to have better comprehension with it than Danish.

I finally got round to having a proper look at the book selection link Iversen sent me a while back. I can't see myself buying a Danish book any time soon, but the site itself contains quite a lot of (what I assume to be) fairly "high" Danish. Certainly, I find many more unknown words in that than in a newspaper article.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 94 of 97
17 September 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I've done very little in Danish in the past five days. I am not sure why, I just found it hard to motivate myself. Today I went back to the whole vocab thing, I've added about five hundred words in the last two weeks or so. I could also read an online news article and understand ~80% straight away. However, I am coming to doubt the flash card method. I think it works well with a relatively small amount of words - say, less than a couple of hundred, but when you get to large amounts it is too time consuming to review hundreds of words and add new ones. This lead me to look about new methods, so I did a search on the forum. I found Iversen's thread on wordlists (here) for the first time, after hearing a lot about them. I think wordlists might work well for me, since writing a word out reinforces the spelling of it much better than simply looking. Reviewing a few sheets of paper also sounds better than going through hundreds of flash cards. I will play around with the system and see if it works for me.

I was also interested in lady_skywalker's mindmap idea. I never normally use mindmaps - if I am revising something for an exam, rereading the notes suffices - but I feel it could be a good way of getting new words to learn, rather than as a learning tool itself. Or perhaps I could use it by itself for learning new words. I think I could use wordlists for learning vocab I come across in texts, and mindmaps for learning words that come up in the course of making the actual mindmap. I would also like to find a good vocab learning method for when I start Russian. I'll experiment and post later when I decide what works for me and what doesn't.

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm also using the grammar exercises on grammarexplorer.eu. I think this is a great site and the exercises help to reinforce things, as well as giving me speaking and listening practice. Except I haven't used it for almost a week, of course...

Edited by burntgorilla on 17 September 2007 at 6:30pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6552 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 95 of 97
17 September 2007 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
I have written more about wordlists in this thread about superfast learning techniques.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 96 of 97
22 September 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
I think I now prefer wordlists to flash cards. There is not the same necessity to constantly review everything and spend more and more time studying everything. I can just look down the lists to remind myself of most of them. I'm not sure how well they will stick long term, but I can play around with the method. I really do hate learning vocabulary...

I had an odd experience today. I was reading through a magazine my friend brought back from Denmark (Ud & Se, I think it's one of those free ones you get on trains, but it's interesting). I found it fairly difficult, really, except for one article on Sicily. I could understand it pretty well - not every word, but enough to read comfortably. I was able to guess at what some of the words would mean from the context, but others were completely new to me. So I was chuffed at the level I have reached. I'm trying to remember how difficult I found it when I first starting reading Spanish newspapers, but I can't remember. I think I might be at the level I was in Spanish two years ago. This is only in reading, of course. I am far from decent at the other skills. But in just over a week I'll be at university with some Danish natives, so hopefully I can use them for some practice.

Edited by burntgorilla on 22 September 2007 at 3:37pm

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version