Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
97 messages over 13 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 12 13 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6645 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 97
02 August 2007 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
burntgorilla wrote:
... I never realised that "k" was aspirated. ... I find an unaspirated "k" quite hard to do, I'm not sure if it appears in English.

The initial Danish k- and the final -k/hard -g are not very different from the English sounds in the same position, but if you do want to make to refine your Danish then final k/hard g is almost like English -gue in league (as opposed to lick). However in English this sound only comes after long vowels, while it only comes after a short vowel in Danish - if the vowel in Danish is long, then it is almost certain that this would weaken the g.

Edited by Iversen on 02 August 2007 at 6:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6386 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 26 of 97
02 August 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
I think it is the same sound as the "c" in "evict", more or less, so I've been practising it a bit.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6386 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 27 of 97
02 August 2007 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Jeg synes, vil jeg skrive en dansk, hvis jeg kan. I dag, lyttede jeg til "unit 3" (jeg kender ikke ordet) og jeg talte med "the dialogues" (igen, jeg kender ikke ordet og min ordbog endnu (stadig?) er ikke ankommet). Folket i "dialogues" taler hurtigtere end før, og så tror jeg, det er mere svært. Jeg har lært næsten femhundrede ord, med selvfølgelig jeg kan ikke huske alt. Min dansk er ikke særlig god, med jeg håber, med lidt tid den skal være bedre.

Apologies for all the no doubt awful errors in that. I really need this dictionary, the TY's little dictionary doesn't suffice. I blame transatlantic postal services. That took a stupidly long time and I only used simple constructions. I probably mutilated the word order as well. Oh well, learn to crawl before you walk.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6645 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 97
03 August 2007 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
burntgorilla wrote:
Jeg synes, vil jeg skrive en dansk, hvis jeg kan. I dag, lyttede jeg til "unit 3" (jeg kender ikke ordet) og jeg talte med "the dialogues" (igen, jeg kender ikke ordet og min ordbog endnu (stadig?) er ikke ankommet). Folket i "dialogues" taler hurtigtere end før, og så tror jeg, det er mere svært. Jeg har lært næsten femhundrede ord, med selvfølgelig jeg kan ikke huske alt. Min dansk er ikke særlig god, med jeg håber, med lidt tid den skal være bedre.

Jeg synes, vil jeg skrive en dansk, hvis jeg kan.
Jeg tror, jeg vil skrive en dansk post, hvis jeg kan
Both "jeg synes" and "jeg tror" are valid translations of "I think" (as is "jeg tænker"). However "synes" is "it seems to me that", while "jeg tror" can mean either "I believe that" or "I guess I'm going to...". Here it is the last meaning that is relevant.

"Folket i "dialogues" taler hurtigtere end før, og så tror jeg, det er mere svært."
Folk i "dialogues" taler hurtigere end før, og så synes jeg, at... .

Here "synes" is definitely better.
Also note the word order, - in subordinate phrases the adverbials have a different position (see below), but you don't invert the subject and the verb. Inversions occur if there is a heavy adverbial in the beginning of the sentence, but this generally only happens in a main clause.

----

"I dag, ": one comma too much. With an inital adverbial that is very heavy you may put a comma, but "I dag" is not heavy enough.

----

"... og min ordbog endnu (stadig?) er ikke ankommet"
... og min ordbog er stadig ikke ankommet"

Both 'endnu' and 'stadig' are possible, but 'stadig' sounds more impatient and irritated (which is the case here, I presume)

This is a main phrase, so adverbials and negations should be put between the finite verb and the participle part of a composed tense (and after the verb in a simple tense). However you can move the adverbial to the initial position, but this provokes an inversion:
"og endnu er min ordbog ikke ankommet"

For some strange and unforeseable reason "stadig" doesn't sound good in the initial position, therefore "endnu" is better in this case

In a subordinate phrase (".., fordi min ordbog stadig ikke er kommet") they are both put between the subject and the verb.

----

med selvfølgelig ---> men selvfølgelig

----

Min dansk er ikke særlig god, med jeg håber, med lidt tid den skal være bedre
Mit dansk(e) er ikke særlig godt, men jeg håber, det med tiden skal blive bedre

"mit dansk" (or "mit danske", where you use the strong adjective form with a presupposed substantive 'sprog') is neuter.

The adverbial moves to the position between subject and finite verb in the subordinate (after the last comma)

And 'blive' instead of 'være' because there is a change involved.

Not bad, considering that you only have studied Danish for a short time and still not haven't got a decent dictionary.

Edited by Iversen on 03 August 2007 at 12:53am

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6386 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 29 of 97
03 August 2007 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Eeek, lots of mistakes there! Thanks for taking the time to correct it all. I forgot about a lot of the rules for word order actually. After I'd written it out I suddenly remembered that there should be inversions somewhere, so I changed some round. Just something to practice I suppose. How do you say "in Danish"? "På danske"? That's what I was going for at the beginning.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6386 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 30 of 97
04 August 2007 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Only a small update. I haven't done as much work as I'd have liked. My dad is in hospital and obviously he takes priority over any language work. Yesterday, or the day before, I went over unit 3 again and found that they seemed to speak at a much slower rate, which means I'm getting used to it more. I'm a bit concerned that I'm only half-pronouncing words and letting the audio fill in the gaps. I think this is just a volume issue, but I suppose it also takes time to get used to making unfamiliar sounds at a decent rate. I have also gone through all my flash cards at least once, so I am theoretically familiar with almost 650 Danish words. Now I am going through it taking ten random words at a time. I was pleasantly surprised by how many words I remember, although it varies. Sometimes I'll remember seven out of the ten words, and other times one or even none. I've also noticed the deficiencies in the program's random card generator since the same ones have come up several times today.

I briefly browsed the news on www.dr.dk and although vocabulary was an impediment I could get the gist of a few articles. It seems that not many people want to become teachers in Denmark, according to a little box on the right hand side. I felt quite chuffed at being able to work that out. I've noticed that a lot of Danish web addresses are short - wwww.jp.dk, for example. In English it would be written out in full. Is this a general thing or just me making massive generalisations? A completely useless point, but I find little tendencies like that quite interesting.

Once (if ever) my dictionary arrives I want to get into writing in earnest. I'm not really sure what to actually write, but I need the practice and I need to get it started soon.

I have also being doing a course off and on at this website:

http://tea.fernuni-hagen.de/Iglo/Install/kurs/course_542.htm

I think they do several other languages and I'm finding it very useful. There are passages to read and questions to answer, and there are definitions for all the words.

Edited by burntgorilla on 04 August 2007 at 7:43pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6645 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 97
05 August 2007 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
burntgorilla wrote:
How do you say "in Danish"?

"På dansk" (note that languages and nationalities haven't got a capital letter, unlike "engelsk")

Speaking about your Danish you can say "mit dansk" or (more often) "mit danske", - the -e is a sign that you have substantivized an adjective.

burntgorilla wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of Danish web addresses are short - wwww.jp.dk, for example. In English it would be written out in full. Is this a general thing or just me making massive generalisations?

You may be right, - but there are fewer homepages on .dk than on .com, so maybe it is just easier to get the right letter combination for a company. If you can't get it you have to write a longer version.

Edited by Iversen on 05 August 2007 at 5:44pm

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6386 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 32 of 97
05 August 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
"På dansk" (note that languages and nationalities haven't got a capital letter, unlike "engelsk")

Speaking about your Danish you can say "mit dansk" or (more often) "mit danske", - the -e is a sign that you have substantivized an adjective.

Good, I was nearly right.

Quote:

You may be right, - but there are fewer homepages on .dk than on .com, so maybe it is just easier to get the right letter combination for a company. If you can't get it you have to write a longer version.

Oh, I never thought about that.

Right, I really need to practice my active skills so I'm going to just write any old rubbish. I'd appreciate it if you could correct it, but I understand that correcting badly written Danish wouldn't be your idea of a good time, so it's totally up to you. Actually writing something will be practice enough for me.

Jeg hedder Thomas og jeg bor i Nordirland. Jeg kan ikke lide landet. Folk i Nordirland er ofte uhøflig, og yderliggående partipolitiskerne er i regeringen. Jeg vil gerne flytte til et andet land, men jeg tror ikke hvor. Også det er meget dyrt at besøge andre dele i verden. Jeg har lært spansk for fem år siden, og det vil jeg studere på universitet, med russisk. Universitetet sendte mig en liste bøger, som jeg må læse før går jeg til universitet. I dag jeg læeste lidt digter ved Antonio Machado. Jeg skrev hver ord som jeg ikke kendte. Det var næsten to hundrede ord. Jeg er ikke sikker, om det er godt, jeg har lært så mange ny ord eller det er slem, jeg kendte ikke dem.

I'm pretty sure I used "så" wrongly, but I didn't know the correct word. And word order is probably messed up as well. I've decided that I will listen to and read lots of Danish in order to get a better feel for the word order rather than trying to learn it off. I did the same for Spanish and it worked well enough.

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version