Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 49 of 97
10 August 2007 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:
burntgorilla wrote:

Have you used it? I like the texts in it, but feel that the questions are a little bit of a waste of time. I do like that course though.

No, I haven't used it. I prefer textbooks and audio-cds/mp3 :-)

Two weeks ago I started with Assimil "Dänisch ohne Mühe" (Danish without toil). A very fine course with 64 lessons (I'm at the 10th).

As a supplement I use Rosetta Stone Danish.

And I couldn't resist to buy "Av min arm - Dänisch für Deutschsprachige" (Danish for German speaker).

So there is no shortage of study material for my language learning ... but I'm not as fast as you and it will take me a while to work through all the material.

Ah, lucky you! There's very little available in English. I'm going to learn French using Assimil, partly because then I will be able to use their French based courses. They only have a small selection of them in English. I guess Germany's proximity to Denmark helps in that respect.
1 person has voted this message useful

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 50 of 97
10 August 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
To Burntgorilla: as with other grat authors it is not least Andersen's way of playing with the language that makes him a fascinating writer, but precisely this fact is also a good reason not to try to emulate his style. I have read his works in several languages (see this site), and it is clear that some translations are better than others. For instance his very personal way of letting one sentence continue into the next without a full stop - almost as a stream-of-consciousness before the term was invented - has not been adopted by the majority of the translators.

Andersen doesn't use a large amount of neologisms, but he did invent the longest word ever in Danish in "Hyrdinden og Skorstensfejeren":

gedebukkebensoverogundergeneral­krigskommander­sergentinde
(the male form is gedebukkebensoverogundergeneral­krigskommander­sergent)

In the English translation at the site this form is not translated, but the corresponding male form is given as Major-general-field-sergeant-commander Billy-goat's-legs.
The same thing happens in the French version, where the translator has even put the mischievous word into quotes: "sergentmajorgénéralcommandantenchefauxpiedsdebouc".
This syncretic type of word formation seems almost normal in German: ZiegenbocksbeinOber- und Unterkriegsbefehlshaberin.
In the Russian version the goat-aspect (a clear reference to the Greek god Pan) has been lost in the translation: обер-унтер-генерал -кригскомиссаp-сержантшей.

That's very interesting. I have heard that Andersen isn't really the same in English.

I'm going to try and get a dictionary straight from Gyldendal. I realised that the one I have ordered is only English to Danish, so it's not that useful anyway. Stupid of me to not notice. What is the difference between this
and this? I have heard that the red one is better, but it seems that the striped one is bigger, although I can't understand much of the text to really know anything about either.

They don't seem to deliver outside of Denmark. Is there any Danish Amazon equivalent that I could order it from?

I found a UK based site that had one of them in stock (www.bookdepository.co.uk, they seem good and have free worldwide postage). In the end I got this one. Frankly, I don't really care how good it is any more, I just want to have one. Now to see if I can get a refund for the other one I ordered a month ago...

Edited by burntgorilla on 10 August 2007 at 6:51pm

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 51 of 97
12 August 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Still relatively little to report. I have made good progress with my Danish words. I can often get about eight right out of ten on the first go. Soon I will reverse the cards' order so that the Danish pops up first. I think this will help me to remember them better. I am listening to Danish radio a bit, and I can pick out a few words. I haven't understood the theme of any of the conversations yet. I still know too few words. But it is reassuring that I can listen to a word and convert it into the spelling - I was worried that they would become disconnected. Today I read a little on the JP's website. I like the way Danish combines words into new ones. I was able to work out that "syghuset" is "the hospital" or something similar. I read a short report about two ships crashing off the coast of southern Spain, and was able to work out nearly all the details. Since the summer is nearing a close, I have started a little on the letter I want to write. So far I've got the English written out, but might change it round a bit. It was surprisingly hard to write. With any luck my dictionary will arrive on Wednesday, or around then, so I can get stuck into the translation then.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6170 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, EnglishC1, Danish
Studies: Spanish, Dutch

Message 52 of 97
12 August 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
I think you do very fine under these circumstances. Wow, you can read an article and nearly work out nearly all the details - I am impressed. So you will be more than ready, when your dicitionary hopefully arrives around Wednesday. You surely will have a flying start - good luck!

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 53 of 97
12 August 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:
I think you do very fine under these circumstances. Wow, you can read an article and nearly work out nearly all the details - I am impressed. So you will be more than ready, when your dicitionary hopefully arrives around Wednesday. You surely will have a flying start - good luck!

Thank you, though it was a very short and simple article. I think I will have problems when I try and write in Danish. The whole form and system doesn't feel natural at all. Maybe with some more reading I will begin to get a feel for things. How do you find inversions in the word order? I still haven't got my head around that completely.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6170 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds

Message 54 of 97
12 August 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome :-)

Can you please give me an example for inversions in the word order?

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 

Message 55 of 97
12 August 2007 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
glossa.passion wrote:
You're welcome :-)

Can you please give me an example for inversions in the word order?

Well, first of all there is an inversion with simple questions:

Du kan se mig.
Kan du se mig?

I understand this ok since it's the same in English. But it also inverts in subordinate clauses and things (I think, I'm hazy on clauses). So you'd say:

Hvis vejret klarer op, kan vi gå en tur.
(If the weather clears up, we can go for a walk)

There might be a mistake or two in that sentence, but the important part is that it changes to "kan vi" instead of "vi kan". Iversen explained it all much better a couple of pages back. In some cases it's pretty obvious that you do it, and in others it's not. I think it's the kind of thing that I'll just get a feel for after doing lots of reading.

glossa.passion
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6170 days ago

267 posts - 349 votes 
1 sounds

Message 56 of 97
12 August 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Now I understand what you mean! Forgive me, I'm not that good in terms of grammar, although I appreciate grammar books. I took this inverse word order without further thinking. Probably it's too early for me to question such things.

And I think you are absolutely right with your last sentence, that you will get a feel for after doing lots of reading. So you should't worry too much about at the moment.

This discussion contains 97 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version