India
Joined 6158 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Hindi, FrenchC1, German, Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 9
17 August 2007 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Hi all,

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is studying multiple languages but wants to get at least a little bit of audio input (say at least 5-10 minutes) in each one every day. I'll share some of what I know of for a few languages, but I'm wondering if people could share some interesting sources for getting this input in the other languages I'm studying (or any others of course!)

The big problem I'm facing is that I can't be motivated by listening to news reports or the like; I need something entertaining. (I'm also obviously not talking about instructional materials, but rather materials produced for native speakers of the language.)

For Portuguese, I watch the "Charge do Dia" at http://charges.uol.com.br/... It's a daily animated comedy short, much shorter than 10 minutes... but very slangy, so often requiring repeat viewings to catch everything. I also often watch a clip or two on YouTube from A Praça e Nossa or even Gato Fedorento (both basically sketch comedy shows, one Brazilian and the other Portuguese; I mostly skip the politics-oriented sketches)...

For Hindi, I enjoy some Bollywood movies, though I don't always have the patience to sit through a standard 2.5-hour Hindi film in a single night... but watching 10-20 minutes on most days, then maybe a bit more on the weekend days, gets me through about a movie a week with constant (almost daily) input in the language. No religious schedule kept; just as much as dictated by my interest...

For French, I had friends a while back who were really into Les Guignols (and I know of the Spanish equivalent as well), which sounded like something that might interest me... but I have no interest in European politics or its personalities, so unfortunately this show does not hold my interest (almost like listening to the daily news for me)...

Like most of us, I also listen plenty of music in various languages, but I don't feel that listening to the same lyrics again and again is as productive as getting constant new input in a language each day.

So, anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of things like the above (daily comedic shorts, funny sketch comedy shows with clips on YouTube, etc.) that I can utilize to get daily entertaining input in my other languages?
1 person has voted this message useful

FSI
United States
Joined 6208 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 2 of 9
17 August 2007 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Personally, I'm into music, with helpings of radio, audiobooks, and cinema. However, as you already seem familiar with these, perhaps you might try finding a show to follow on television?

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of stations available here. You can likely find daily shows to keep up with, as the majority of these stations are live broadcasts from their respective countries.

Another suggestion is to note what you find fun in *English*, and seek that in your L2's.

asad100101
Diglot
Pakistan
languagel.blogspot.c
Joined 6304 days ago

118 posts - 137 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*, English

Message 3 of 9
17 August 2007 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
For Hindhi, I think your input is very good if you are getting it from bollywood movies. How many movies have you seen so far? Who is you fav hero? Amir Khan or Salman Khan or Nana Patekaar?etc

We can have conversations on the phone if you want to.
(PM your phone no, I'll get back to you. I have a vonage service so it costs me nothing to call people living anywhere else in the world as long as they have the same service or people who are living in either USA or Canada without the service).

I'd like to know what kind of hindhi you are learning and how much it is different from my native language urdu.

Linguaphile, [tum kesay ho?] Can you understand this sentence? Reply me back with your answer in hindhi/urdu.

Edited by asad100101 on 17 August 2007 at 6:03am

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6296 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 9
17 August 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
It's not just the matter of being entertained, news reports will not tackle the same language as a telenovela, movie or a travelogue. Look up vorleser for free audiobooks in German. For such short exposure I'd recommend short stories in audiobook format (plenty there) cartoons and documentaries. Internet radio as well.

Edited by reineke on 17 August 2007 at 11:13am

Lemus
Diglot
United States
Joined 6230 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 5 of 9
17 August 2007 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Find some podcasts. They can be short, sometimes entertaining, and good practice.

You can use iTunes to find them in your European languages. For the rest, I recomend googling "podcast" in your target language. You should find a big podcast site in the first few hits.

linguaphile
Triglot
India
Joined 6158 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes

Message 6 of 9
19 August 2007 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
I think we're on the exact same page when it comes to this kind of stuff...

FSI wrote:
Personally, I'm into music, with helpings of radio, audiobooks, and cinema. However, as you already seem familiar with these, perhaps you might try finding a show to follow on television?

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of stations available here. You can likely find daily shows to keep up with, as the majority of these stations are live broadcasts from their respective countries.

I do know that site and used it a bit late last year, but (back then) most of the links I checked (at least for Italy and Israel) either didn't work or didn't yield much by way of either good streaming content or other materials that grabbed my interest... I have since found a couple of channels (by other means) with moderately intersting content, so maybe I'll go through the site again, but it would be great if anyone had suggestions about specific shows...

FSI wrote:

Another suggestion is to note what you find fun in *English*, and seek that in your L2's.

Once again, one step ahead... that's exactly what I'm doing! As you can tell from my original post, I don't prefer "serious" stuff; I like sketch comedy, fun movies, other comedic stuff... the challenge I'm facing is really tracking down those types of resources for other languages.

I see we've got some languages in common; let me know if you've got any recommendations!

linguaphile
Triglot
India
Joined 6158 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes

Message 7 of 9
19 August 2007 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
asad100101 wrote:
For Hindhi, I think your input is very good if you are getting it from bollywood movies. How many movies have you seen so far? Who is you fav hero? Amir Khan or Salman Khan or Nana Patekaar?etc

Haha, it's not necessarily so good to get input from Bolloyood... just imagine a Bambaiya bolne-wala angrez! Anyway, I've seen only about 20-25 so far; Akshay Kumar is my favorite right now, and Shahrukh Khan is cool too... I haven't seen any of Aamir's yet though; I bought Lagaan, and the DVD didn't work! But, yes, Bollywood movies are great for getting Hindi as it's really spoken...

asad100101 wrote:

We can have conversations on the phone if you want to.
(PM your phone no, I'll get back to you. I have a vonage service so it costs me nothing to call people living anywhere else in the world as long as they have the same service or people who are living in either USA or Canada without the service).

I'm not yet at the stage where I can really speak much; I'm still taking it in passively. My active vocabulary is only maybe 600 words, and I'm still working on internalizing all of the grammar (it's the most different of any language I study)... But I hope to be able to start trying to actively use the language around the end of this year or beginning of next, so I'll definitely keep the offer in mind!

asad100101 wrote:

I'd like to know what kind of hindhi you are learning and how much it is different from my native language urdu.

Linguaphile, [tum kesay ho?] Can you understand this sentence? Reply me back with your answer in hindhi/urdu.

are, yaar, bilkul thik hoon! Essentially hindi/urdu ek hi bhaashaa hai, and especially in bollywood there are so many Urdu words used... Once I can actually communicate, I am sure I would have no problem communicating with you as an Urdu speaker...

linguaphile
Triglot
India
Joined 6158 days ago

14 posts - 16 votes

Message 8 of 9
19 August 2007 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
reineke wrote:
It's not just the matter of being entertained, news reports will not tackle the same language as a telenovela, movie or a travelogue. Look up vorleser for free audiobooks in German. For such short exposure I'd recommend short stories in audiobook format (plenty there) cartoons and documentaries. Internet radio as well.

Great site! Since German is the most recent addition to my regular studies (only in the last few months), I think I'll be starting with the "Kinder-Hörbücher"... Given the age of some of the works, I thought the language might be somewhat dated, but then I downloaded and listened to part of one story and it sounded fine to me... these will probably hold my attention because I haven't heard most of the stories since I was a kid (except for a few that I listened to from a similar Portuguese site); this will allow me to "rediscover" them... thanks!

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version