Groupie
Israel
Joined 6150 days ago

43 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 21
02 September 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
I'm a bit late in starting my journal. I learned Hiragana and Katakana, as well as a few dozen survival phrases around June 2006; however, I only started studying Japanese seriously slightly less than 2 months ago. I will edit this entry in the future to include all the sentence patterns I know at this point.

My vocabulary as of today is:
??? Nouns (I am going to start making flashcards within the next week)
87 Verbs
53 Adjectives

I know 191 of Heisig's first kanji, having started learning less than 2 weeks ago. I use the kanji.koohi.com site to review them, and currently have 175 on 2 repetitions, 15 on 1 repetition, and 1 failed.

My resources:
Japanese for Busy People 1 (Completed)
Japanese for Busy People 2 (On Chapter 6)
Japanese for Busy People 2 workbook (Starting today)
Heisig's "Remembering the Kanji"
Jim Breen's online Japanese dictionary

My primary target is to complete Japanese for Busy People 2 with at least 80% retention of all the material in books 1&2 by the end of this month, as I'm signing up for Japanese 3 class in my university, and hope to kick everyone else's ass :) I have a few friends in that class who speak Cantonese, so they have an advantage when it comes to kanji..

1 person has voted this message useful

Georgi87
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 6150 days ago

43 posts - 44 votes

Message 2 of 21
03 September 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Today was a pretty slow day.. I learned about 25 new kanji in Heisig's system, did 1 chapter and a bit in the workbook, joined a Japanese podcast website and listened/read one of the intermediate level podcasts. I have about 20 minutes left before I take a rest and then go to sleep, hopefully I can drum some new vocabulary into my head by then.

Georgi87
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 6150 days ago

43 posts - 44 votes

Message 3 of 21
04 September 2007 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Up to Kanji 241 in Heisig's system. I've checked the download date on the sample which I used to start learning: 23rd August 2007, which means I've been studying Kanji for 12 days. I feel that a 20/day average isn't bad, but my retention isn't as high as I'd like it to be (hovers at around 90%).

I've catalogued 60 nouns that I know, though I mainly take note of those I have to pause in order to remember the meaning of, and probably know significantly more. I think I'm sick, or at least sleep deprived, so I'm not going to study much tomorrow and go to bed early.

Georgi87
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 6150 days ago

43 posts - 44 votes

Message 4 of 21
06 September 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
Heisig; 276

Nouns; 80. Modest gains in adjectives and verbs. Chapter 7 in textbook, chapter 4 in workbook.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6617 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 21
06 September 2007 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
Out of curiosity, are you using the kana/kanji version of Japanese for Busy People?

Georgi87
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 6150 days ago

43 posts - 44 votes

Message 6 of 21
06 September 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I am :) To be honest, I think using Romaji is a waste of time, and also try to put the kanji I learn into familiar words ASAP. Right now, I'm having a bit of a problem with verbs like とどかない/とどけない. I think they're called transitive and intransitive? My book has given a few pairs of these so far, but hasn't explained how they work. I should probably look into this.

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6235 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 7 of 21
06 September 2007 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Georgi87 wrote:
Right now, I'm having a bit of a problem with verbs like とどかない/とどけない. I think they're
called transitive and intransitive? My book has given a few pairs of these so far, but hasn't explained how they work.
I should probably look into this.

You will do yourself a favour if you try not to translate such pairs into English as English often offers no clear
distinction between the two. If you have to translate at all, Russian works much better for the pairs like ーある/ーえ
る due to a clear distinction -ать / -аться, etc.

Georgi87
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 6150 days ago

43 posts - 44 votes

Message 8 of 21
06 September 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Heisig, 290.. Memorised about another 20 nouns and removed some of the old ones I know well now, bringing the current total to 70.

Started splitting my vocabulary lists into "green" words (which I will test myself once-twice a week on) and "white words," which I'll test myself on every day. Might make another intermediate category soon, as well as a more long-term category eventually.

Furyou Gaijin, thank you for the advice; that does seem to make sense. I agree that it would be best to avoid translation, but this will be useful while I'm just getting used to these pairs.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version