Groupie
United States
Joined 6198 days ago

44 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*, Dutch*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 3
02 September 2007 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to use the same basic layout Crissy did for her Swahili profile... hope you don't mind, Crissy!

Learner profile: I'm a 16 year old student from Washington, USA. I don't have too much experience other than the fact that I grew up bilingual (Dutch and English) and have studied a little bit of Esperanto. I will be taking Spanish at school this next year and will be studying through their program as well as studying by myself in hopes of getting at least a basic fluency in the language (I know it's pretty much impossible to achieve this just with school study).

My objective: To learn Spanish to basic fluency, if not better. I would like to be able to read, write, and talk much like how a native would, with minimal hesitation and the least noticable accent I can manage.

Available time for studying: I will have a 2 hour long Spanish class at school every other day once school starts (on Tuesday), and am hoping to put in at least 30 minutes after school every day in self study.    

Opportunities to use the language: My school has a large hispanic population with whom I will be able to converse in Spanish. I will also be able to talk to other students in Spanish during my Spanish 1 class.

-=Resources that I will use=-

Internet:
http://www.forodeespanol.com/Archive/ - Learn Spanish forums
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Spanish - Spanish Wikibook
http://static.unilang.org/resources/courses/learnSpanish_en. php - UniLang Spanish for Beginners Course
http://www.studySpanish.com/shandbook.htm - Learn Spanish website
http://Spanish.about.com/cs/forbeginners/a/beg_lessons.htm - About Spanish course
And any other resources I find.

Language Programs:
Living Language All-Audio Spanish - got it from the library for free, hopefully it'll help
Passport Books, Speak Spanish, The Just Listen 'n Learn Method - tapes, also got from library.

Other:
Barron's 1001 Pitfalls in Spanish - Another library find
Spanish Verb Drills - Yet another library find.
Whatever book I am assigned at school as well.

Future Resources as Budget Allows:
Pimsleur Spanish
Spanish - English dictionary - Just need to find a good one at this point.

I don't have all that many resources yet, but I will look for more as my knowledge progresses. Currently I don't know much more than "Hola" so I'm sure this will keep me going for a while. If anyone has any other resources, please post them as I can always use more help.
1 person has voted this message useful

FVerschoor
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6198 days ago

44 posts - 44 votes

Message 2 of 3
03 September 2007 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Septiembre 2, 2007

Learn Spanish website: 20 min, studied pronunciation of the vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and some consonants (d, r, rr). All very easy (especially the rr, it came easy to me). Only problem I had was the tongue twister at the end of the rr section... (R con R cigarro, R con R barril, rápido corren los carros, cargados de azúcar al ferrocarril)

Passport Books Speak Spanish: 20 min, studied how to introduce yourself, how to say/ask where you are from, and jobs (just real basics in each one, this is just the first lesson). I think I got it down ok, I'll have to listen to the lesson more tomorrow (when I have more time). I enjoyed being able to listen to the conversations (they use excerpts of real convos on the tapes, which is handy).

1001 Pitfalls in Spanish: 5 min, read about parts of speech... I will need to re-read this in the future as it is something I'm not that comfortable with.

Edited by FVerschoor on 03 September 2007 at 12:11am

FVerschoor
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6198 days ago

44 posts - 44 votes

Message 3 of 3
03 September 2007 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Septiembre 3, 2007

Learn Spanish website: 35 min, reviewed what I learned yesterday (pronunciation of vowels, some consonants) as well as learned a little about stress, intonation, and linking. I think I got the vowels and the few consonants down pat, I will still need to review the rest until I feel more comfortable with it.

Unilang Spanish for Beginners: 10 min, finished 1st two lessons and put together flash cards to study new vocabulary. I feel I have the the present tense of 'ser' down (Yo soy, Tú eres, Él es, etc) down, having a little bit more trouble with 'tener' (Tengo, Tienes, Tiene, etc). I have put all of these on flashcards and will review them tonight.

1001 Pitfalls in Spanish: 10 min, reviewed some rules of adjectives in Spanish. I think I am going to put this book to the side and focus more on vocab, basic structure and pronunciation first, then once I got more of this down I'll focus more on these grammar rules. It is a very good book, though, and I think I'm going to buy a copy of my own once I get more proficient in the language.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version