Diglot
United States
Joined 6323 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 1 of 3
04 September 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Summer has been offically over for me for a bit, so I wanted to share my success this summer on reaching my goals, which were these:

Lemus wrote:
For me:
Spanish: Learn at least a few hundred words of my 6000 Spanish words book. Read BBC Mundo everyday, and try to watch Spanish television.
Japanese: Reach lesson 100 of JapanesePod101 and learn the hiragana
Turkish: Complete up to lesson 20 of FSI

I will also try to listen to as much music in these languages as I can

I had the most success with Japanese, as I did not reach lesson 100 of JPod, but instead lesson 150, after I radically changed my methods of listening to them from repeating about 10 times until things stuck to visualizing words in my head and listening 4-5 times to review. I also learned not only the hiragana, but most of the katakana too. To top this all off, I started kanji, which I wasn't planning on doing, but I did anyway. I made it through the Remembering the Kanji pdf, and used techniques from there and flashcards to learn all the JLPT Level 4 Kanji. To mark this succes, I moved Japanese on my profile to intermediate.

For Turkish, I went slightly over, reaching lesson 21 of FSI. Still a ways to go for this one.

For Spanish, I spent a fair amount of time reading and watching TV in this language. Still not understanding as much as I want to be, but I did make progress.

Looking back, I probably should have entered the Total Anninihlation challange, considering the amount of time I spent on languages. Oh well, too late now.
1 person has voted this message useful

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6592 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 2 of 3
04 September 2007 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Hey, congratulations!

Dedication can't be taught, and, of course, it's got to be about 95% of what it takes.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6539 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 3
04 September 2007 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Awesome job, congratulations!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version