Romania
Joined 6169 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 1 of 10
10 September 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
The summer is soon to come to an end.
This summer I have learned French for 2 months,then quit for no reason,but it's not important because we'll study it at school.Then I came up with a wacky idea to learn German only through listening,well the project was interrupted due to a trip which lasted 6 days,I had little access to German channels or even internet.
When I came back my interest in languages was diminushed until I found a pretty good Danish conversation book,hidden in my room for all these years.
Today I finally had the courage,after a week of pondering ( should I start fresh by learning Danish with this book?) ,to grab this opportunity.
Now it is Day 1 and I master the greetings.Luckily every word has a phonetic transcription ,it makes everything easier.Grammar-wise I am beginning with the noun and its articles.
1 person has voted this message useful

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 2 of 10
10 September 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with it. Danish is quite a fun language. I would recommend that you focus on getting the pronunciation right straight from the beginning, rather than coming back to it later.

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6169 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds

Message 3 of 10
11 September 2007 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
I did learn the pronunciation rules before getting into the first "lesson",of course there is still more to do (not exactly sure what) until I sound reasonably good.
This morning I continued with the hilsener and foreign language related phrases,and incidentally I think I might have discovered the future tense (skal + vb-e).
The study hour ended with plural of the nouns,which divides nouns into 4 groups.
I'll try to create a few sentences on my own based on the original ones,even though it's kind of early for that.
På snarligt gensyn.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6552 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 10
11 September 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
If you have any questions about problems in the Danish language feel free to post them (or PM then). I´m always happy to see somebody having a go at my native language, and as you can see for instance in Burntgorilla´s log I also like to write about it.

burntgorilla
United Kingdom
Joined 6293 days ago

202 posts - 206 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Danish

Message 5 of 10
11 September 2007 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
audiolang wrote:
I did learn the pronunciation rules before getting into the first "lesson",of course there is still more to do (not exactly sure what) until I sound reasonably good.
This morning I continued with the hilsener and foreign language related phrases,and incidentally I think I might have discovered the future tense (skal + vb-e).
The study hour ended with plural of the nouns,which divides nouns into 4 groups.
I'll try to create a few sentences on my own based on the original ones,even though it's kind of early for that.
På snarligt gensyn.

I think it's just that I have a tendency to ignore pronunciation and hope I'll just get the hang of it through vaguely shadowing the texts, and then am surprised when I find it hard to say things. Maybe you have a better system of doing it. Glossa.passion has listed a few useful links on her log, you might want to check them out. "Skal" is used for the future, but so is "vil". I find modal verbs a bit tricky in Danish. I think Iversen wrote an explanation of them on my log, it helped.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6552 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 10
11 September 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Just one minor warning:

If you want to express a really neutral future then you don´t use either "skal" or "will", but just the present and a suitable adverbial, - for instance "Jeg kommer i morgen" ("I´ll come tomorrow").

"Skal" has a sense of obligation, though in some cases when it is combined with the adverb "nok" it suggests a likelihood or a forced promise: "jeg skal nok komme i morgen" ("Yes, I´ll come tomorrow, - stop nagging me").
"Vil" has a strong sense of volition or inescapability: "Jeg vil komme i morgen" ("I´m going to come tomorrow").

Edited by Iversen on 11 September 2007 at 7:17pm

audiolang
Diglot
Romania
Joined 6169 days ago

108 posts - 109 votes 
2 sounds

Message 7 of 10
11 September 2007 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the replies.Netdansk1 is just the thing that will boost your pronunciation.I plan to do a lesson a week,the only "downfall" is the small gloser, you still have to look for several words in the dictionary.
This morning I listened to the first text, the only sentence I didn't understand was
Hun læser filmvidenskab på Århus Universitet.
But I think it means that she reads about the science of movies (cinematography).
I could read the first text pretty well, except for hedder where the d sounds like a v , kommer where I thought o was read as in door and fra where a is a tone lower.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6552 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 10
12 September 2007 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Not quite, - normally "læser" just means "read(s)", but combined with an academic subject and maybe even an academic institution it means "is studying at" - in this case cinematography (or rather the science about films, not the practical realisation of films because in Denmark you learn that at "Filmskolen" in Copenhagen).

By the way I studied at "Århus Universitet" myself, so I know the place. It´s a small world.

Edited by Iversen on 12 September 2007 at 8:19am

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version