Joined 6333 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Macedonian, Afrikaans

Message 1 of 5
14 September 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Македонски јазик

OBJECTIVES:
To learn Macedonian to at least a basic to intermediate fluency level in all categories (reading, writing, speaking, listening comprehension) - I'd be content even if I didn't speak the language fluently, but I want to visit Skopje one day, so I'd prefer to learn as much as possible now.

STUDY SITUATION:
I typically get home around 15:00, and then I leave about an hour or slightly more every night for homework/studying. The rest of the time is free for pretty-much anything, which is a main reason I have studied languages in the past, and have taught myself quite a lot (z.B. German).

ADVANTAGES:
My main advantage with studying Macedonian is the language experience. I've gotten quite far with German, so I know I can do it with the proper motivation and time with any language, specifically Macedonian [in this case].

DISADVANTAGES:
Macedonian is (obviously) a language that not many people just randomly start to study. It has neither a larger population of native speakers, nor do a lot of online resources exist for the language. That is a definite disadvantage, especially when it comes to practicing with others.

RESOURCES:
Macedonian: A Course for Beginning and Intermediate Students 2nd Edition (Christina E. Kramer)
Macedonian (Victor Friedman)
Idividi (http://www.idividi.com.mk/recnik/)
Webster's Macedonian English Dictionary (http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/Macedo nian-english/)
1 person has voted this message useful

tspier2
Diglot
United States
Joined 6333 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes

Message 2 of 5
14 September 2007 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Понеделник - 14. Септември 2007
Ponedelnik - 14. Septembri 2007

I read through Лекција 1 in the textbook, which consisted of reviewing the specific letters in the Macedonian Cyrillic alphabet, learned the pronunciation, and basic cognates with English.

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6235 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 3 of 5
14 September 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I studied croatian, which I understand to be fairly similar to macedonian. I didn't get very far as Perhaps more similar to the serbian variant since they're both written with cyrillic characters. Good luck on your studies. I personally believe that increasing your vocabulary both helps in general language knowledge as well as guiding you through any workbooks you're doing. Do you have any plans on how to study vocab?

tspier2
Diglot
United States
Joined 6333 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes

Message 4 of 5
14 September 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
senor_smile wrote:
I studied croatian, which I understand to be fairly similar to macedonian. I didn't get very far as Perhaps more similar to the serbian variant since they're both written with cyrillic characters. Good luck on your studies. I personally believe that increasing your vocabulary both helps in general language knowledge as well as guiding you through any workbooks you're doing. Do you have any plans on how to study vocab?

Well, I began studying German from scratch, so whenever I wanted to know more vocabulary, I would just look up 20-30 words at a time and learn them within the next ten minutes. This textbook on Macedonian contains vocabulary in each chapter, and then contains a mini dictionary and extra Macedonian text in an appendix, so once I am finished with all of the contained vocabulary therein, I will go to my previous strategy for German.

tspier2
Diglot
United States
Joined 6333 days ago

38 posts - 38 votes

Message 5 of 5
15 September 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Сабота - 15. Септември 2007
Sabota - 15. Septembri 2007

I read through Лекција 2 today, which consisted of personal pronouns, the present indicative forms of sum ('to be'), noun genders and plurals, and simple interrogatives and conjunctions. I'm beginning to piece together some very basic sentences - hopefully by the end of next week, I can start talking a little bit about my day. :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version