21 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 9 of 21
23 February 2007 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Hi Serpent, I will check out those bands, thanks.
I am glad a native speaker found some of those questions hard. :)
I downloaded the 5,000 word dictionary on the net. I am deleting all the words minus the verbs. I bought a book of the 600 verbs used on the exam, with the full forms. At the back is 6 165 question tests, and 6 texts with out the verbs. There is an answer key. I am taking the verbs from the frequency dictionary, looking them up, and memorizing 10 per day. I will continue this till the end of March. That should give me, around 300 verbs.
I'll update you all as this progresses and how GLOSS is going. I had to move GLOSS to the start of March as well due to personal reasons.
Of interest this 5,000 word dictionary (outdated but worth while) is really only about 2,500 words. Why? Because it includes both verbs as different words. Moreover, it includes the verb, adjective, and noun as different words. So if you know 'to read' (both verbs), then reader and reading are easy to make once you know the basic grammar. If you want to get really down to it, if you remove cognates (since they are trivial to learn) you are down to about 2,000 words to understand 82% of material!
с праздником!
Well I am going on vacation, I deserve it. I learned 60 words this week! I hope to study some! Novgorod, here I come!
Jerrod
1 person has voted this message useful

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 10 of 21
14 March 2007 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Well it's March 14 and I am not at the stage I had wished to be. I had a bad cold that put me down for over a week.
I have reached several milestones that I am happy with though.
I have learned 100 verbs (both imperfective and perfective) and the full conjugations.
I have completed GLOSS level 2 culture and added about 300 new words.
I am using Mnemosyne and I am having great success. In fact, 2 days in a row I have had dreams in Russian. One was the most vivid I have ever had. The funny thing is they both involved Mnemosyne lol.
Two days ago my girlfriend commented that I was using more advanced words, which I hadn't realized.
I have also noticed that I am speaking faster than all my classmates. I am also understanding more and more of the news.
All of this leads me to believe that I am nearing the advanced intermediate stage. If things continue like this, I may reach the basic stages of advanced before returning to the USA.
In my grammar class we have started on the verbs of motion using an excellent textbook.
My plan for the rest of the month is to continue working on verbs and hopefully reach 200 by April 1. I will also continue with GLOSS but at a slower pace not 50 words per day, maybe 20. I want to concentrate on listening more and plan to watch the news for at least an hour every morning.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6437 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 21
14 March 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Мо-ло-дец!!! :)

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 12 of 21
15 March 2007 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Hey Serpent, thanks!
I have been working through the 5000 most common words in Russian. I am so shocked at how few words I know from there. The file is about 80 pages and as I work my way through, cutting what I know, I am only down to 67 pages and I am on с! At least it does make me feel better that the words are included in all the forms.
I.e.
существенный adj
существо noun
существование noun
существовать verb
существующий adj
Oh well. I will continue working through it and GLOSS.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6437 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 21
15 March 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I can't remember when I last used any of these words...
It's a bit strange they included существующий btw. It's not really an adjective, but a participle.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 14 of 21
16 March 2007 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Hi Serpent,
The list is at http://www.artint.ru/projects/frqlist/frqlist-en.asp
if you ever want to check it out. For one the list is old and does include many unuseful terms (like KGB, now FSB). If you choose selectively though, this list is decent for verbs and adjs.
I agree with you that the participle is not needed. I think the reason that it is here, is due to the fact that the list was compiled from old texts.
I am really just using it for verbs, though.
If you do check the list out, please give me your opinion.
Thanks.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6437 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 21
16 March 2007 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
overall that's quite a good list, although I checked the one in the frequency order and the order is somewhat strange. also you need a good dictionary to work with this list, because eg око is an old-fashioned word and is used only in fixed expressions, жрать is a very colloquial word and ихний is absolutely incorrect and sounds very uneducated. most words are neutral though.
I don't mean that the participle shouldn't be there because it's not used, but just because it's formed absolutely regularly (quite rare for Russian, I suppose). In general I'd say participles are mostly used when they denote a quality of something, not a state at a particular moment. But it's never a mistake to use a clause instead of a participle, so when not sure I'd advise to do so.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 16 of 21
23 March 2007 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Today is a great day for me (besides the fact it is 10C outside, Friday, and the sun is out, odd for SPB). I believe, along with my girlfriend, that I have reached high intermediate status!
I am understanding the news more and more (which is very good as they speak so fast), I have learned about 600 words so far this month (with most active), and I have finished the texts of level 2 GLOSS culture (my goal was all of level two but that is not possible due to other factors).
Last night I had a dream in Russian, the weird thing was when I woke up I kept thinking in Russian and talking to myself about it. I had this weird feeling, almost like it was natural.
Long term goals:
If things continue like this, I may be able to get to basic advanced before July 4. I have two more classes in the US ending in December, and I hope to reach medium advanced at the end of this.
Since my wife is Russian (though she is fluent in English), we will speak only Russian, and watch mostly Russian TV. This will give me a chance to turn my attention to Spanish sometime in Jan 2008.
Good day!

Edited by Jerrod on 27 March 2007 at 10:35am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version