21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 17 of 21
01 April 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Well it's April first and I have done a geat deal this month. I upgraded my status to high intermediate, I learned around 800 words (about 500 fully active, 200 passive, and about 100 I have trouble recalling), and over all I am doing better. Not that bad for only 3 weeks (I was sick one week).
This month's strategy is a lot different. I am taking a 2 week honeymoon in 6 days so I have to work around that.
I plan to read a great deal this month, I have two books that will have my attention "Henry Hobbs goes to outerspace (153 pages)" and "Chook i Gek (50 pages 1000 word reader)"
Hobbs will be the first real book I have read in Russian (besides small children's books and the like).
I also bought a good book with 3 hours worth of CD exercies "What did you say?" I recommend it.

My strategy when at home will be as follows:
Mon. 1 hour 1 large BBC article, 30 mins "What did you say? (WDUS)" 3 hour conversation class, 30-45 mins book, 30 mins 5 verbs.
Tues. 1 hour 1 BBC article, 1 hour verbs of motion review, 3 hour class on verbs of motion, 30-45 mins book.
Wed. 1.5 hours Mnemosyne, 30 min review verbs of motion, 3 hours verb class, 30-45 mins book.
Thurs. 1 hour 1 BBC article, 30 mins WDUS, 3 hours phonetics and culture class, 30-45 mins book, 30 mins 5 verbs.
Fri. 3 hours 3 BBC articles, 2 hours mnemosyne, 1 hour WDUS.
Sat and Sun are my free days where I study whatever I want, usually 30 mins here and there mnemosyne.
I am watching about 30-45 mins per day of cartoons and 30 mins of the news.

I will be taking Hobbs with me and reading without a dictionary. I will write all words I don't know in my word list journal (different words from Mnemosyne) and when I return look them up. After this I will reread it.

Well wish me luck, lot's of language learning this month!
Jerrod
1 person has voted this message useful

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 18 of 21
02 May 2007 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
All of April was a waste. I traveled and after that I needed time to relax from my vacation. I did speak a great deal with natives, and received some good compliments.
May for sure must be better. I need to pass TORFL 1 the first of June.
Instead of laying out a program, I am just going to define my goals and work toward them.
Reading goals:
My last book was just to hard to read (Henry Hobbs). I found about 6 readers yesterday that I plan to work through them this month. One was based on 1,300 words and I read it in an hour. Three are based on 2,500 words and two are based on 3,000 words. That is enough reading for this month.
I will also continue reading a BBC article per day. (I am compiling a newspaper frequency dictionary).

I have two test books based on the TORFL. I plan to complete those and the free test I posted in the other section of this forum.

Also plan to finish "What did you say?" and review my old textbooks.

That is it.
Jerrod

Edited by Jerrod on 02 May 2007 at 7:27am

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6343 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 

Message 19 of 21
03 July 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Well my program is over. I go home tomorrow. I will try to write up something about what I learned while living in Russia for the last 10 months.
До свидания Питер!

jessgreen
South Africa
Joined 6192 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 20 of 21
05 July 2007 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
Guys, where can I get a practice test for the TORFL-2??? I've looked everywhere, and I'm even in Russia now!

IbanezFire
United States
Joined 6534 days ago

119 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Russian

Message 21 of 21
29 July 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
You say your wife is Russian. Did you meet her during your program?

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version