Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 1 of 28
14 June 2007 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I took the easy option. Kill me.

I already know a small amount and I am planning to spend at least 3 hours a day until the beginning of September when I go back to university. My goal is simple, basic fluency in written Esperanto and basic knowledge of the spoken language. If all goes to plan, this will be the first language I come close to acheiving fluency in so I have no idea how many words etc I will need to learn to acheive my goal. To begin with, I will be using the resources at lernu.net starting by reviewing the contents of Mi estas comencanto (I am a beginner) and doing the Ana Pana course

Listening to the experiences of other people, it might be possible to reach this goal before the end of the challenge. If I do then I will switch to one of the languages I already know a small amount in (Mandarin, German or French). I will also be doing the 6 Week Challenge so might have a copy of Assimil Hungarian lying around so I might choose that instead. Yes, I have wanderlust but I am enjoying the process of learning not very much and that is the most important thing to me

Edited by shyopstv on 14 June 2007 at 11:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6279 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 28
14 June 2007 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Esperanto may be one of the easiest options, but using it really well isn't exactly -easy-, especially as a first foreign language. I see no shame in picking it for a TA challenge language.

Good luck! I hope your studies of it go well.

[I also think there's nothing wrong in engaging in wanderlust, as long as you know the tradeoffs and are happy with them].

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6437 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 28
14 June 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
Ehh, but what's the difference between esperanto as the first foreign language and as the second/third/fourth... one?
I started it yesterday and I enjoy it a lot :)

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6279 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 28
14 June 2007 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Ehh, but what's the difference between esperanto as the first foreign language and as the second/third/fourth... one?
I started it yesterday and I enjoy it a lot :)

I'd say that a first foreign language is the hardest, all else being equal - concepts like words not corresponding exactly, and languages not being translations of each other take a while to sink in, as does the idea of speaking idiomatically, and how it's impossible to speak a language correctly trying to only apply mechanical rules.

Also, if some of the other languages are common European ones, it makes Esperanto vocabulary a lot easier to learn and recognize. A lot of Esperanto vocabulary is basically like the English, but with a vowel at the end, and some spelling shifts (ie, x -> ks); much of the rest has a similar relation to words in various Romance and Germanic languages. Some of the words have Slavic roots as well, but I personally can't recognize this on sight, as I don't speak any Slavic languages.

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 5 of 28
15 June 2007 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Day One: (15/06/2007)

I started off by testing my current knowledge. I read a random page on the Esperanto wikipedia. I couldn't make sense of any of it. I listened to a clip recorded in Esperanto. I couldn't understand a word. The only way is up?

As mentioned in my first post, I have started off with the Mi estas komencanto course on lernu.net. There are 11 lessons. Each one begins with a dialogue which is broken down into small parts which are translated and new words are introduced. After this there are some simple exercises to test knowledge of the unit. Each lesson comes with an mp3 version which is a little bit like a Pimsleur lesson shortened to 7 minutes or so but taking out all the repetition. I completed the first 3 lessons by going through the dialogues, doing the exercises, listening to the mp3 and making flashcards from all the new phrases. Each lesson took about 20 minutes to complete

I also started the Ana Pana course which is a correspondance course for beginners in Esperanto. With the knowledge from the lessons I have taken in Mi estas kommencanto, the first lesson was easy and I felt that I could easily have just launched straight into this.

The lernu tutors aim to get back to you within 24 hours which while ok, is clearly insufficient for a hardened language warrior like myself. I also decided to check out the useful phrases section of lernu which is very comprehensive. I have also made flashcards of all the phrases in the basic phrases list. As a result, I can now swear in Esperanto which to me, is a clear sign of progress.

Something that is immediately obvious is how easy Esperanto grammar is. As a result, most of my learning is based around learning vocabulary. I have 76 flashcards from my first day alone most of which contain phrases with at least one distinct word.

Plans for the weekend are to complete Mi estas komencanto and make as much progress with Ana Pana as possible and to test myself using the flashcards created from these courses. I failed to reach the three hours I was aiming to spend today, eventually managing only two so if I put in three hours a day then these targets should be possible.

Gxis!

Edited by shyopstv on 16 June 2007 at 7:01am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6749 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 28
16 June 2007 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
I started with Ana Pana and only a few days ago I found Mi estas komencanto. However, there's no harm in returning to very basic texts. I did all the exercises for Ana Pana and Ana renkontas - some of the replies took more than day (I think), but I didn't stop me from going on to next lesson.

Bonan sukceson!

PS You can read about my studies in this Esperanto thread.

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 7 of 28
17 June 2007 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Day two: (16/06/2006)

Just carried on as usual, spent 2 and a half hours in total and did the next four lessons of Mi estas komencanto and two from Ana Pana. The aim is to complete both courses by the Monday after which I intend to start exploring the useful phrases and word learning sections of lernu a bit more.

Short update today but that is because there is not really that much to report

Gis morgaux!

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 8 of 28
18 June 2007 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Day three: (17/06/2007)

Poor effort. Did just one hour of work yesterday which involved lesson 8 of Mi estas komencanto, lesson 4 of Ana Pana and testing myself on the flashcards I have produced so far.

Gxis!

Edited by shyopstv on 18 June 2007 at 10:35am

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version