Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 9 of 28
18 June 2007 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Day four: (18/06/2007)

Much more progress today as I finally met my target of 3 hours of work in a day. Completed the final three lessons of Mi estas komencanto. I have the mp3 versions of all 11 lessons which I have been listening to in order to focus the course more on speaking and listening while I use Ana Pana as a more general course. The course was based around the context of an Esperanto meetup which means that some of the vocabulary learned is not particularly useful to me ("get-acquainted evening" springs to mind) but there are still a lot of helpful phrases in there

Also gone through lessons five and six of Ana Pana. Only two more remain which will be the first thing I do tomorrow.

After that I will be using lernu's Gerda malaperis! and Ana renkontas courses to progress further. If anyone wants to learn Esperanto, lernu is an amazing site. I have just posted on their forum in a thread about learning other languages. Some things never change

Edited by shyopstv on 28 June 2007 at 8:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 10 of 28
21 June 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Day five & six (19-20/06/2007)

Computer crashed so I lost all my flashcards. I am not happy. I have now finished Ana Pana and have started on Gerda malaperis the first lesson of which I completed yesterday. I have also listened through the whole of the mi estas komencanto course on mp3. Spent about 3 hours in total over the last two days

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 11 of 28
21 June 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Day seven (21/06/2007)

A good day to end my first week. I went through lessons 2-11 of Gerda malaperis. Each of the 25 lessons consists of a chapter of a story which is available as text or as an audio file. There are also a few simple questions at the end of each chapter to test your comprehension of the text. The way I am going about the course now is to listen to the lesson text once then go through the text using a dictionary to gain full understanding.

The lessons increase in both difficulty and length as the course progresses and therefore so does the amount of time I have to spend on them. Lesson 1 took 10 minutes to complete whereas 10 and 11 took half an hour each. So far I have not attempted to absorb any of the new vocabulary taught because it is repeated in later chapters so with the repetition, the words sink in naturally

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6749 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 28
22 June 2007 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
I'm very sorry to hear about you computer crash. It happened to me about two months ago, and I had collected A LOT OF flashcards (in fact, mainly in Esperanto). But life goes on.

I found GM to be a great exercise for reading comprehension, and just as you say, the difficulty and length increases.

Good luck with your Esperanto studies!

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 13 of 28
23 June 2007 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Day eight: (22/06/2007)

Lessons 12-16 of Gerda malaperis

Day nine: (23/06/2007)

Lessons 17-20 of Gerda malaperis

I now only have 5 more lessons left of Gerda Malaperis but I will also need to review this course as I currently only understand about 60-70% of the the texts and some parts I can only read by using a dictionary. Despite this, my comprehension has improved a lot.

I will be out for most of tomorrow so I am not sure if I will be able to do any studying. If I do, it almost certainly won't be for three hours.

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 14 of 28
25 June 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Day ten: (24/06/2007)

I did nothing. I was very busy

Day eleven: (25/06/2007)

Hit my three hour target. Completed the final 5 lessons of Gerda malaperis, I also read the epilogue which suggests that I may have to read through the story again to gain full understanding which I was planning to do anyway.

So far I have not studied the grammar of Esperanto very far. I am now using another course from lernu, La puzlo Esperanto to learn the grammar rules. There are 45 short lessons and I completed the first 10 today

Also, I have looked at the first lesson of Ana renkontas and will be doing the correspondance exercise tomorrow

Edited by shyopstv on 28 June 2007 at 8:29pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 15 of 28
28 June 2007 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Day twelve: (26/06/2007)
Lessons 11-20 of La puzlo Esperanto
Lessons 1-3 of Ana renkontas

Day thirteen: (27/06/2007)
Re-read the first 13 chapters of Gerda malaperis. I understand pretty much all of this through context now. Next task will be to be able to understand it by just listening

Lessons 4-7 of Ana rekontas, this is actually slightly easier than I was expecting. A couple of the dialogue exercises are quite difficult

I may be well on the way to totally annihilating Esperanto but I would be lucky to be causing minor damage to the updates forum even if it was made of tissue paper. There just isn't a great deal to report

Edited by shyopstv on 28 June 2007 at 8:27pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6560 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 16 of 28
28 June 2007 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Day fourteen: (28/06/2007):

Worked for about 150 minutes today

Completed the final lesson of Ana renkontas
And lessons 21-26 of La puzlo Esperanto

I then spent some time studying the grammar aspects I am currently finding hardest, correlatives and suffixes. These are two very important grammar areas so I spent an hour on this alone to ensure that I have as much confidence as possible with them

I am currently working through another lernu course called Jen nia IJK. It is a bit like Gerda Malaperis but it seems to have easier dialogues but more exercises. I completed the first two lessons today

Also, I have finally found a good site for Esperanto audio. www.radioverda.com I can understand isolated words within the podcasts but no more at the moment

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version