Joined 6569 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 17 of 28
29 June 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Day fifteen: (29/06/2007)

Inspired by the face that Volte is doing far more than I am, I exceeded my target today and studied for 4 hours

First I read the dialogues of all 10 remaining chapters of Jen nia IJK and did some exercises from them. It was slightly below the level of other dialogues I have read and only about 15% of the new words given at the start of each chapter were actually new to me but it is did help me to internalize more words

Next I looked at another course from lernu, Verumado which is a short course designed to explain the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs and also give instructions about the related affixes -ig and -igx. I have very little formal grammar knowledge so this had been an impenetrable brick wall for me previously. After some exercises, I was still finding it tough so I took a look at a very grammar heavy textbook Esperanto ASAP and through using both sources, I now understand. Woohoo!

Finally I spent half an hour listening to Radio Verda podcasts. It turns out I can understand slightly more than I thought and I do sometimes understand what the hosts are talking about

Gxis!

Edited by shyopstv on 29 June 2007 at 8:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6288 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 18 of 28
29 June 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Good work with -ig and -igx. I originally had trouble with transitive and intransitive verbs (when I was learning Italian). The way I think of them now is that a transitive verb takes an object (ie, you can say "I the-verb some-noun", where a noun is something like a person, place, or thing), while an intransitive one doesn't.

You outdid me today, by a large margin; gratulon!

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6569 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 19 of 28
01 July 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
Day sixteen: (30/06/2007)

Worked for 2 hours today most of which was spent going through the definitions of all the affixes and prepositions. Not the most interesting aspect to be learning but clearly very useful and it was something that I felt I was unable to learn so effeciently simply by reading texts.

This was followed by some more Radio Verda

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 20 of 28
01 July 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I found the most effective way of learning these was to pick a couple word stems, have a sheet with all the affixes and prepositions (meanings covered up for the first few minutes) next to me and try to create as many words as possible.

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6569 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 21 of 28
03 July 2007 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Its mea culpa time. The reason why there was no update for Day 17 was because I didn't do anything that day.

Day eighteen: (02/06/2007)

Continued reading again. I am now reading another book on lernu, [URL=http://en.lernu.net/biblioteko/rakontoj/vere_aux_fantazie/index.php]Vere aux fantazie[/URL which is a collection of short stories. So far have read and listened to the first two chapters and read the introuction which took me 80 minutes.

Spent another 20 mintues going through the Radio Verda archives for more listening material and 20 minutes learning more about grammar. Some of it was again learning the affixes, I know about 80% of them now and the rest was looking at the participles which I will need to spend some more time on to fully understand

Lumulo
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6203 days ago

27 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, Italian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 22 of 28
03 July 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Koran saluton, Shyopstv!

Mi mem neniam provis la kurson “Mi estas Komencanto” pro tio ke ĝi ne ekzistis tiam kiam mi registriĝis al lernu.net, sed laŭdire oni povas pere de ĝi ellerni la bazojn de la lingvo sen fronti tro multe da defioj. Kiam mi unue eklernis Esperanton, Ana Pana estis sendube la plej utila porkomencanta kurso ĉe lernu.net, do mi tiel komencis studi. Mi do konsentas kun via antaŭa komento pri tio ke vi povintus eklerni la lingvon sen komenci per “Mi estas Komencanto”.

Laŭ mia propra sperto, ne ĉiam indas memorfiksi vortojn. Eble vi havas specialan talenton pri tio kaj mi simple elbuŝigas neutilaĵon, sed devas esti ia ekvilibro inter la ampleksigo de la vortostoko kaj la lernado de diversaj gramatikeroj. Jes, povus esti bone legi tekstojn kiel Gerda Malaperis aŭ alimaniere ŝovi informojn en vian cerbon, sed plej ofte mankos al vi la ebleco vere uzi tiujn lernitaĵojn poste en konversacio kaj tiel plu, do tio, kion vi lernis en Gerda Malaperis kaj per similaj metodoj iom post iom malaperos el via memoro- krom se vi uzos ilin regule. Se vi ne jam faras, mi plej alte rekomendas al vi ekskribi taglibron, skribitan kaj angle kaj Esperante. Ne priskribu nur tion, kion vi kapablas facile priskribi en Esperanto- unue verku anglan version, kaj post tio penu traduki en Esperanton sen perdi la fluecon de la originala, enangla teksto. Por fari tion, kompreneble, vi bezonos bonan vortaron, kaj tiu ĉe lernu.net ne ĉiam sufiĉos. Se eblas, vi mendu la “Esperanto Dictionary” de J.C. Wells, kiu estas kaj ampleksa kaj detale preciza en ties traduko, ĉar ofte ekzistas pluraj variaĵoj de unu vorto. Se vi ne kapablas akiri tiun, la ‘Reta Vortaro’, serĉebla per Google, iomete povus helpi al vi.

Radio Verda estis delonge mia plej ŝatata podkasto. Arono kaj Karlina, la gepodkastistoj, fakte elsendas el mia lando, kvankam mi ĝis nun ne kaptis la okazon renkonti ilin. Radio Verda respondecas ankaŭ por la plibonigo de mia aŭtkompreno, do vi nepre daŭrigu la aŭskultadon. Krome, la elsendoj estas ofte tre amuzaj kaj variaj, malkiel multe da aliaj elsendaĵoj alilandaj, kiuj ofte estas tre tedaj kaj monologplenaj. Arono tre flue parolas kaj malofte eraras, do vi turnu vian atenton al li por aŭdi antaŭe-nekonatajn vortojn kaj esprimojn, kio tre helpas al komencintoj. Alia konsilo estas ludi Esperantlingvan skrablon kontraŭ la komputilo, kiu emas uzi altnivelajn vortojn- bona maniero por aktive ekzerci vin pri la lingvo.

Ajnakaze, vi ŝajne rapidege progresas memstare, do miajn sincerajn instigojn al onta flueco kaj bondezirojn al vi!

Estime,

Benjameno

I myself never tried the course “Mi estas Komencanto” as it did not exist when I first registered at lernu.com, but supposedly one can very quickly master the basics of the language without encountering too many challenges by using that method. When I began to learn the language, Ana Pana was undoubtedly the most useful course for beginners at lernu.net, so I began with that course. Thus I do agree with your previous comment about how you could have begun directly by using Ana Pana.

I my own experience, it is not always prudent to simply memorize words. Perhaps you have a special talent for that and I am giving bad advice, but there must be a certain balance between the development of an advanced vocabulary and the learning of proper grammar. Yes, it can be beneficial to read texts from Gerda Malaperis or otherwise shove information into one’s head, but often you will find that you will never have a chance to use exactly what you learned in conversation, and thus the knowledge will fade from your memory- unless, of course, you find a way to use it regularly. If you have not already begun to do so, I highly recommend starting a journal written in both Esperanto and English. Remember to write not only about situations which you can describe easily in Esperanto- first you should write an English version, and then attempt to translate into Esperanto without losing any of the fluency of the original text. To do that, of course, you’ll need a good dictionary, and the one at lernu.net will not always suffice. If possible, you should order J.C. Well’s ‘Esperanto Dictionary’, which is both extensive and precise in it’s translation of words (which, as you know, often have multiple translations due to Zamenhof’s ‘Netusxebla Fundemento’ and the constant formation of new slang). If you cannot acquire that book, then the ‘Reta Vortaro’, which you can find via Google, may be of some assistance to you.

Radio Verda has been my favourite podcast for quite a while now. Aaron and Charlene, the hosts, are from my country- although I have not yet had the opportunity to meet them. Radio Verda is responsible for my listening comprehension of the language as well- you should definitely continue to listen. Additionally, the content is often quite amusing and colourful, unlike many other podcasts from other countries which can sometimes be boring and full of monologues. Aaron speaks very fluently and does not err very often, so you should turn your attention to him when listening to hear previously unknown words or expression, which can be very useful to advanced beginners such as yourself. Another piece of advice is to play Esperanto-language scrabble against the computer, which oftentimes will use advanced words- a good way to actively practice the language.

In any case, you seem to be progressing amazingly fast on your own, so I urge you to continue to strive towards fluency and wish you all the best.

Estime,

Benjameno

Edited by Lumulo on 03 July 2007 at 3:19pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6569 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 23 of 28
04 July 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Day nineteen: (03/06/2007)

Thank you Lumulo for your post. You are correct in saying that I need to use the language more often so from now on, my log will be bilingual. I am using the Reta Vortaro for help with some words

I earlier mentioned a online textbook called Esperanto ASAP. This contains many chapters which each explain a different aspect of Esperanto grammar. At the end of each chapter, there is an exercise which involves translating about 30 scentences from Esperanto to English or from English to Esperanto. I did the exercises from chapters 3 to 8 yesterday.

I also listened to another Radio Verda podcast. I really like the accent of the male speaker in these.

Dek-nauxa tago: (03/06/2007)

Dankon Lumulo por via mesagxo. Vi estas gxusta diri ke mi bezonas uzi la lingvon pli ofte do nun mia ĵurnalo estos tradukinta al Esperanto. Mi uzas la Reta Vortaro por helpo kun iu vortoj

Mi jam menciis la Interretan kurson Esperanto ASAP. Gxi enhavas multajn cxapitrojn. A la fino de cxiu cxapitro estas ekzerco kiu enhavas fraon kiu devas tradukinta en English aux Esperanto. Mi faris ses ekzercojn.

Mi ankaux auxskultis alian epizodon de Radio Verda. Mi tre sxatas la akcxento de la vira lingvano.

Edited by shyopstv on 04 July 2007 at 3:07pm

shyopstv
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6569 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds

Message 24 of 28
08 July 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I haven't posted for a few days but that doesn't mean I ahve given up. I did a few more exercises but most of my time has been spent reading.

While reading the lernu forums, I came across a link to the site klaku.net which is a little bit like and Esperanto version of Digg and contains a lot of easy to read posts from users.

As a test of how I am progressing, I took another look at the Esperanto Wikipedia and I can now understand almost everything on the front page. I still often can't understand random articles but sometimes I know enough to get the general meaning.

I have continued to listen to Radio Verda. Listening is still my weakest area but this is expected because this is what I have spend the least time studying.

Mi ne ĝisdatigis dum iom tagoj sed tio ne signifis ke mi forlasis. Mi faris iom da ekzerco da Esperanto ASAP sed plejparte mi estis leganta.

Dum mi estis leganta la forumon de lernu mi trovis ligilon al la paĝo klaku.net kio estas simila al Esperana versio de Digg kaj enhavas multe de facila legi poŝtoj de la uzantoj.

Por testa mia scion, mi vizits al la Vikipedio en Esperanto. Mi nun povas kompreni preskaŭ cxiu en la ĉefpaĝo sed hazarda paĝo, mi ofte ne komprenas tute.

Mi daŭradis aŭskulti al Radio Verda. Aŭskulto estas mia plej malforta leterco cxar gxi estas la leterco mi studis malpli ol aliaj.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version